Matrix Brandy BASIC VI for Linux with SDL: V1.22.4 released

discuss PC<>Acorn file transfer issues & the use of FDC, XFER, Omniflop/disk etc.
Richard Russell

Re: Matrix Brandy BASIC VI for Linux with SDL: V1.22.4 released

Post by Richard Russell » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:17 am

This is possibly a silly question, but can the MODE 7 font be used in any other mode? My thinking is that because it's not tied to hardware, as it was in the BBC Micro, but is just another bitmapped font (albeit, at 16x20, a higher resolution than most) it ought to be possible to use it in any MODE with sufficient resolution, and not be restricted to teletext colour attributes and graphics.

Soruk

Post by Soruk » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:00 pm

Richard Russell wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:17 am
This is possibly a silly question, but can the MODE 7 font be used in any other mode? My thinking is that because it's not tied to hardware, as it was in the BBC Micro, but is just another bitmapped font (albeit, at 16x20, a higher resolution than most) it ought to be possible to use it in any MODE with sufficient resolution, and not be restricted to teletext colour attributes and graphics.
Currently, it's tied to MODE 7 due to the way the code is written. In all other modes, a character is assumed to be 8x8, and line spacing 8 (except MODEs 3, 6, 11, 14 and 17 where line spacing is 10).

Richard Russell

Post by Richard Russell » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:12 am

Soruk wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:00 pm
Currently, it's tied to MODE 7 due to the way the code is written. In all other modes, a character is assumed to be 8x8
OK, understood. In ARM BASIC running on RISC OS there must surely be a way of achieving higher-quality VDU 5 text in a graphics mode, for example if one was trying to write a GUI from scratch and wanted to label a button or something. Or am I wrong?

Soruk

Post by Soruk » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:33 am

Richard Russell wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:12 am
Soruk wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:00 pm
Currently, it's tied to MODE 7 due to the way the code is written. In all other modes, a character is assumed to be 8x8
OK, understood. In ARM BASIC running on RISC OS there must surely be a way of achieving higher-quality VDU 5 text in a graphics mode, for example if one was trying to write a GUI from scratch and wanted to label a button or something. Or am I wrong?
The FontManager modules can do this, it's completely separate from the BBC-style text plotting.

Richard Russell

Post by Richard Russell » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:18 am

Soruk wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:33 am
The FontManager modules can do this, it's completely separate from the BBC-style text plotting.
I see, I'm entirely unfamiliar with that. Is there anything comparable available when using Matrix Brandy on Windows (or Linux for that matter)? Could I use the SYS statement to access an API function that would do something similar?

When I wanted to support scalable (e.g. TTF) fonts in my BASICs I just went for an extension of the VDU 5 (print text at graphics cursor) mechanism as that seemed the simplest approach. I miss it in Brandy!