Matrix Brandy BASIC V for Linux with SDL: V1.21.17 released

discuss PC<>Acorn file transfer issues & the use of FDC, XFER, Omniflop/disk etc.
Soruk

Re: Matrix Brandy BASIC V for Linux with SDL: V1.21.16 released

Post by Soruk » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:39 pm

Net works if using cygwin as the build environment, as evidenced by my Telstar client build http://brandy.matrixnetwork.co.uk/testing/telstar.zip

Richard Russell

Post by Richard Russell » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:53 pm

Soruk wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:39 pm
Net works if using cygwin as the build environment
I don't know about Jonathan's situation but I wouldn't want to install Cygwin here because it would more than likely mess up my MinGW build environment (used for BBCSDL). What feature(s) of Cygwin are you relying on? Could you create a MinGW-only makefile?

Soruk

Post by Soruk » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:48 pm

Richard Russell wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:53 pm
Soruk wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:39 pm
Net works if using cygwin as the build environment
I don't know about Jonathan's situation but I wouldn't want to install Cygwin here because it would more than likely mess up my MinGW build environment (used for BBCSDL). What feature(s) of Cygwin are you relying on? Could you create a MinGW-only makefile?
It's unlikely to mess anything up - all Cygwin stuff is, by default, inside C:\CYGWIN and the Unix-type paths are, in unix-speak, chrooted inside there. The resulting binaries have no Cygwin code and do not rely on Cygwin to run.

I'm relying on it to give me a build environment that I am used to - as a Linux programmer and sysadmin. I am NOT a Windows developer! (That, and some tweaking, also allows me to ssh into the Windows 7 VM straight to a cygwin bash prompt, so it's easy to work with from my Linux environment.)
Last edited by Soruk on Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:59 pm

Richard Russell wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:53 pm
The make files I've got working here are here, with my MinGW compiler tools in C:/Apps/Programming/TDM-GCC-32 (I loath dumping stuff in the root directory, I keep everything neatly tidied away in organised subdirectories. I have exactly six directories in my root.)

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

Soruk

Post by Soruk » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:14 pm

jgharston wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:19 pm
Soruk wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:07 pm
What OS are you compiling for? For Linux, the 'makefile' will do the trick, works on CentOS, Red Hat and Fedora, 32 and 64-bit. For Windows, it's tailored around using Cygwin as the build environment, but requires the mingw compiler and libraries - and doesn't require any Cygwin to run on the target system. For that you need 'makefile.mingw-sdl'.
Woo hoo! Using the correct SDL library, noticing that the Windows makefile defined CFLAGS but the compile used CFLAGS2 and adding a #define to disable the net.c functions, and copying DSL.DLL to System32. IT'S ALIIIVE!

I've just noticed, your build seems to leave a console window open behind the SDL window. For some reason I don't get that (nor want it) from my Cygwin-hosted build.

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:47 pm

Soruk wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:14 pm
I've just noticed, your build seems to leave a console window open behind the SDL window. For some reason I don't get that (nor want it) from my Cygwin-hosted build.
Yes, I don't get it with the binaries you build (and cursor fossils as well), but as I was working on keyboard handling I was ignoring it. I also get the "PLOT XOR doesn't XOR" problem as well. Odd, as the source is fresh from Git on Saturday morning.

$ bbcbasic
>_

Soruk

Post by Soruk » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:39 pm

jgharston wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:47 pm
Soruk wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:14 pm
Yes, I don't get it with the binaries you build (and cursor fossils as well), but as I was working on keyboard handling I was ignoring it. I also get the "PLOT XOR doesn't XOR" problem as well. Odd, as the source is fresh from Git on Saturday morning.
Does the PLOT XOR thing work correctly in my build?
(Edit: Just posted an updated Windows build to here.)
Last edited by Soruk on Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:44 am

I sync'd my fork with the master and the build does PLOT XOR correctly now.

$ bbcbasic
>_

Soruk

Post by Soruk » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:07 am

jgharston wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:44 am
I sync'd my fork with the master and the build does PLOT XOR correctly now.
Good to know. I was worried, as I know I had got it working previously, then promptly broken it again while working on something else!

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:27 pm

I'm trying to avoid digging into the rest of Brandy, I'm concentrating on the keyboard handling, and testing with my keyboard test programs at http://mdfs.net/Software/BBCBasic/Testing which I wrote over the years to test various keyboard stuff on various systems. (I really must document what the expected results are.)

Earlier today I went through some of the other test programs to check how Brandy performs. There were a couple of oddities which I need to re-test to remember what they were and write up. Most of the outstanding bugs were fixed when you merged in my Banana Brandy fork.

$ bbcbasic
>_

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:55 pm

I can build and test Matrix Brandy Basic builds for MinGW/SDL, MinGW, DJPP and RISC OS, but don't have a unix build environment. I can dual boot my PC into Puppy Linux. Can anybody recommend a suitable C compiler to build Brandy?

Ta.

$ bbcbasic
>_

Soruk

Post by Soruk » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:44 pm

jgharston wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:55 pm
I can build and test Matrix Brandy Basic builds for MinGW/SDL, MinGW, DJPP and RISC OS, but don't have a unix build environment. I can dual boot my PC into Puppy Linux. Can anybody recommend a suitable C compiler to build Brandy?

Ta.
I've not played with Puppy Linux - but gcc is what I use.

Coeus

Post by Coeus » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:04 pm

jgharston wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:55 pm
I am not sure commerical C compilers have ever taken off for Linux. gcc has been the standard, bundled with most Linux distributions, for many years though there is now clang on the scene too.

Richard Russell

Post by Richard Russell » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:23 pm

Coeus wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:04 pm
gcc has been the standard, bundled with most Linux distributions
Yes, but not with Puppy Linux I think. There's a relevant thread here.

Soruk

Matrix Brandy BASIC V for Linux with SDL: V1.21.17 released

Post by Soruk » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:21 pm

Hi,

I've put together version 1.21.17 of Matrix Brandy, wrapping up a handful of fixes from this past month.

The changes include:
- Fix memory leak in MODE change
- Fix Filled Rectangles and CLG with GCOL actions, previously implemented and rather promptly broken.
- Fixed Flash on Mode 7 on 64-bit machines.
- Fixed Escape on 32-bit machines.
- Improved INKEY(negative) handling and other keyboard bugs, thank you JGHarston.
- Fix reading strings from DATA with included quote marks.
- Fix LSL (<<), ASR (>>) and LSR (>>>) to replicate RISC OS behaviour.
- VDU19 palette changes now update the screen immediately. Also, now has no effect in MODE 7.
- Mouse display behaviour changed - if fullscreen mode enabled, mouse is off upon mode change or startup; if windowed, mouse is on.
- Telstar client now includes NXtel, and a new, more robust, mechanism of calculating high-bit escaped characters, as NXtel did it differently to Telstar or CCl4.

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:17 pm

Richard Russell wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:23 pm
Coeus wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:04 pm
gcc has been the standard, bundled with most Linux distributions
Yes, but not with Puppy Linux I think. There's a relevant thread here.
I've spent four hours now fighting trying to get a C compiler installed, fighting past sudo:command not known, get-apt:command not known, download failed, installation failed, now bashing my head against Failed mounting or unmounted. Grrr. With RISC OS it Just Bloody Works.

I'm giving up and off to paint the staircase ceiling instead.

$ bbcbasic
>_

Soruk

Re: Matrix Brandy BASIC V for Linux with SDL: V1.21.17 released

Post by Soruk » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:07 pm

You could do worse than install CentOS :D

Edit: If you have VirtualBox, here's a ready-built CentOS 7 VM (2.2GB download) with git, the compilers and libraries ready installed.
Last edited by Soruk on Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dhg2

Post by dhg2 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:44 pm

With debian or ubuntu, I think all you would need to do to be able to compile matrix brandy is "sudo apt-get install build-essential libsdl1.2-dev". (I might be forgetting other dependencies)
Puppy Linux seems to be a bit strange, compared to other linux distros. I would never have expected that installing gcc would be at all tricky on any Linux distro.
Last edited by dhg2 on Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
- Patrick

scruss

Post by scruss » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:10 am

dhg2 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:44 pm
Puppy Linux seems to be a bit strange, compared to other linux distros. I would never have expected that installing gcc would be at all tricky on any Linux distro.
Yes, Puppy Linux is very strange. It does most things as root, which is bad (esp for tests, because root privs allow you to do everything, including bad/destructive stuff). It started off as a tiny tiny distro for old and tiny computers but (like all puppies) got bigger. Like Gentoo Linux, friends don't let friends run Puppy Linux. It's virtually unsupported outside its own forum because everything about it is weird and annoying. I mean, I'd even recommend Yocto Linux (a tiny tiny tiny Linux for embedded things) over Puppy as at least it has a sensible package manager.

Building and installing Matrix Brandy on a Debian system (so Ubuntu, Raspbian on a Raspberry Pi, or regular Debian itself) is a simple matter of:

sudo apt install libsdl1.2-dev build-essential git
git clone https://github.com/stardot/MatrixBrandy.git
cd MatrixBrandy
make -j4
mkdir -p ~/bin
cp brandy ~/bin
Then you can start it up with brandy from anywhere commands are accepted. If you need a desktop file, I put one here.
Last edited by scruss on Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:27 am

scruss wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:10 am
dhg2 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:44 pm
Yes, Puppy Linux is very strange.
Yes, I've been thinking of replacing it with something else, I was looking at CentOS last night, but couldn't find a answer to "does gcc come with CentOS?" - all the matches were "how to install gcc on CentOS". :( And I couldn't work out which of the various "full" "extended" "complete" "concise" distros had what in them.

The only thing I've been using Puppy for is backing up, booting into Linux bypasses the Windows accounting system and lets me dump the entire drive over to a backup.

$ bbcbasic
>_

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:30 am

Segueing back onto topic, I've done a bugfix to textonly.c and a bugfix to mos.c, as they are independent of each other - and in line with my instinct to only push small changes at a time - I was wanting to push each one seperately. But I can't work out how to do that, Git will only let me push both at once as it only lets me push the whole changes from my fork to the master.

$ bbcbasic
>_

Soruk

Post by Soruk » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:31 am

jgharston wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:27 am
Yes, I've been thinking of replacing it with something else, I was looking at CentOS last night, but couldn't find a answer to "does gcc come with CentOS?" - all the matches were "how to install gcc on CentOS". :( And I couldn't work out which of the various "full" "extended" "complete" "concise" distros had what in them.
The VM I've got available for download has everything you need already installed. Literally, download, import into Virtualbox and boot it. Both logins "user" and "root" have password "changeme".

And, to answer the questions, gcc is certainly in the default repos for CentOS if not installed by default, so just do: sudo yum -y install gcc
Last edited by Soruk on Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Soruk

Post by Soruk » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:58 am

jgharston wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:30 am
Segueing back onto topic, I've done a bugfix to textonly.c and a bugfix to mos.c, as they are independent of each other - and in line with my instinct to only push small changes at a time - I was wanting to push each one seperately. But I can't work out how to do that, Git will only let me push both at once as it only lets me push the whole changes from my fork to the master.
While looking through your changes, I see you moved *WinTitle into being a SDL-only command. For the text-mode builds (at least for Linux) it uses xterm escape codes to set the window title of the text window - so I'm modifying it so *WinTitle and *HELP MATRIX exist for all Unix builds in addition to SDL. I've also modified target.h to define TARGET_UNIX for all the UNIX-like platforms.

These have been pushed to the master branch. You might want to rebase yours :)

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:14 pm

Soruk wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:58 am
While looking through your changes, I see you moved *WinTitle into being a SDL-only command. For the text-mode builds (at least for Linux) it uses xterm escape codes to set the window title of the text window - so I'm modifying it so *WinTitle and *HELP MATRIX exist for all Unix builds in addition to SDL. I've also modified target.h to define TARGET_UNIX for all the UNIX-like platforms.

These have been pushed to the master branch. You might want to rebase yours :)
Ta, I wasn't sure what TARGET to wrap that in, the DJPP build complained with a lot of ANSI characters. There was also something I did that ended up with lower cases characters coming out as top-bit characters, but I can't remember what I did to reproduce it.

$ bbcbasic
>_

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:39 pm

Soruk wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:31 am
The VM I've got available for download has everything you need already installed. Literally, download, import into Virtualbox and boot it. Both logins "user" and "root" have password "changeme".
I tried that, but.... ;)

It took so long to boot I was able to boil the kettle, make a cup of tea, and finish drinking it before I could do anything.
Accessing any directory without permissions results in an unremovable error box that seems to halt the system, and is only recoverable from by resetting the vitual machine.
In the settings I mounted my development directory with full permissions, but inside the virtual machine it complained it had no permissions and, well see previous comment. :)

I think I need something that runs on the metal, not in a virtual container, and it needs to be able to have full access to (bits of) the host filesystem.

$ bbcbasic
>_

Soruk

Post by Soruk » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:35 pm

jgharston wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:39 pm
Soruk wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:31 am
I tried that, but.... ;)

It took so long to boot I was able to boil the kettle, make a cup of tea, and finish drinking it before I could do anything.
Accessing any directory without permissions results in an unremovable error box that seems to halt the system, and is only recoverable from by resetting the vitual machine.
In the settings I mounted my development directory with full permissions, but inside the virtual machine it complained it had no permissions and, well see previous comment. :)

I think I need something that runs on the metal, not in a virtual container, and it needs to be able to have full access to (bits of) the host filesystem.
How many cores is your host system? You might want to change the CPU count in the VM settings. I allocated 2 cores when I built it (though 1 should be OK), on my 8-core VM host.

As for the Dev directory I'll see what I can suggest when I get home from work (and got the little one to sleep). Could just be a group membership issue.

scruss

Post by scruss » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:49 pm

jgharston wrote:
Sounds like you got used to relying on one of Puppy Linux's idiosyncrasies: running as root.That allows you full access to the whole filesystem, beyond where mere mortals should go. If you need the magic powers temporarily, that's what sudo is for.

Soruk

Post by Soruk » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:21 pm

jgharston wrote:
The fix:

sudo usermod -aG vboxsf user
and enter your password when prompted.
Then log out, and back in again.
Then you'll have full read-write access to the VirtualBox shared folders.

Prior to packaging the VM I git cloned Brandy into the 'git' directory from my local git server, and successfully built the SDL Matrix Brandy build, and it ran fine. (I deleted it after, as my local git server is not visible to the internet)

Also, it runs reasonably well with only one CPU allocated, so if you are running on a single or dual core machine, that may well render better performance.

Edit Sun 9 Dec 2018 17:25 - Any downloads of the CentOS 7 image from the time of this update will have the shared folders fix included.
Last edited by Soruk on Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:25 am

I'm away from my main machine at the mo, so paused on the unix building, but I've got the RISC OS build building! In updating to SDL a handful of functions had their declarations changed, which didn't migrate into in riscos.c

That means I can test RISC OS, Windows SDL, MinGW and DJGPP builds.

$ bbcbasic
>_

Soruk

Post by Soruk » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:57 am

jgharston wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:25 am
I'm away from my main machine at the mo, so paused on the unix building, but I've got the RISC OS build building! In updating to SDL a handful of functions had their declarations changed, which didn't migrate into in riscos.c

That means I can test RISC OS, Windows SDL, MinGW and DJGPP builds.
Nice one!

Are there any guides out there that would help me set up a RISC OS build environment? Admittedly it was a while ago when I last looked, and half the download links for the required components were dead :(