Voltmeter Recommendation

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
Pernod

Voltmeter Recommendation

Post by Pernod » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:25 pm

Can anyone recommend a basic'ish voltmeter, for around £10, preferably from Amazon?

Just want something for testing low voltage circuits (toys), and a battery tester :) There's quite a few at Amazon but have no idea of brand quality.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

1024MAK

Re: Voltmeter Recommendation

Post by 1024MAK » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:19 pm

There is no quality in that price range...

If you are just using it to check DC voltages where an accurate measurement is not needed, check the user review/feedback.

Mark

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:26 pm

1024MAK wrote:There is no quality in that price range...
Fair enough, what kind of price range would you recommend, for a budget model?

This http://www.amazon.co.uk/DIGIFLEX-Testin ... =voltmeter seems very popular.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:02 pm

It is a basic design and somewhat limited. It should, however, be good enough for basic low-voltage measurements up to and including mains voltage. It will also check resistances and measure current. I'm guessing that its accuracy will be +/- 1 digit.

I have used a similar one and it proved to be perfectly OK.
- John

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:48 pm

I have just gone searching for a relevant thread, but cannot find it. Maybe my memory is playing tricks and it was discussed on another forum... #-o

Anyway, before you buy, have a read of this: DIGITAL MULTIMETER ACCURACY EXPLAINED

Mark

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:24 pm

Now hopefully you are ready for more... :?:

As well as accuracy, there is safety, reliability and construction quality to take into account.

There are lots of multimeters ranging in price from less than £6 to > £400, and sometimes they are given away for FREE with orders.

Which one you buy depends on what you want to use it for.

So in the electronics world, opinions vary somewhat...

Here one guy tests some low and medium cost meters for hobby use: Digital Multimeter Shootout!

So inexpensive meters are okay then? Not according to Dave, here are some links to some of his videos:
EEVblog #6 - Part 1 of 2 - Meterman 37XR Multimeter review (skip forward to 3min 26sec)
EEVblog #6 - Part 2 of 2 - Why cheap multimeters suck
EEVblog #75 - Digital Multimeter Buying Guide for Beginners (long one this, as he does love to rant a little :lol: ).

Mark

PS by the way, the reason that I am not recommending any of the meters that I use is simple, they are all fairly old now and are no longer on sale.

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:39 pm

Mark wrote:So inexpensive meters are okay then? Not according to Dave...
I was kinda in that camp but then spotted this, bought one (£25 inc) and it's really, really good. Watch at least Part 1 of the review linked in the ebay listing and you'll be very surprised - I can concur with everything noted =D>

galax

Post by galax » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:28 pm

Last edited by galax on Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:57 pm

Appreciate the advice, at least I now know what to look for.

Thanks.
- Nigel

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:43 am

Originally I bought a quite expensive bench multimeter, Istill use it and very good but not portable so in the end I also bought a small one from Maplin.

Not sure what all the people above think but for a cheap(ish) portable multimeter with good reviews I got a

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/precision-gol ... eter-gw18u

Has 5 star but only from 4 reviews. About £30 rather than £10 though.

danielj

Post by danielj » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:37 am

I think I got two crappy ones for a tenner from Maplin many aeons ago and gave one to a friend. It is properly rubbish, and I wouldn't trust its readings for anything critical, but for checking continuity, voltages - 3.3/5/12V, double checking resistance values are in the right ballpark, it's fine. Plus the probes are quite good at cleaning the gaps between strips on stripboard... Certainly wouldn't test mains voltage with it :D

d.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:47 am

I've tested mains voltage with an under a tenner multimeter many times.

The only problem I ever had was human error.

Manage to touch the probes together and fried the MCB on the consumer unit.

When the electrician replaced it I said I just 'couldnt under stand how it suddenly broke' while hiding the melted remains of the probes. Also the crappy under a tenner multimeter from Maplin I got when I did GCSE electonics and that was about 25 years ago and it still works even after shorting out the mains and blowing the MCB. (but I use better ones for my electornic needs as mentioned above)

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:20 am

Elminster wrote:I've tested mains voltage with an under a tenner multimeter many times.

The only problem I ever had was human error.

Manage to touch the probes together and fried the MCB on the consumer unit.

When the electrician replaced it I said I just 'couldnt under stand how it suddenly broke' while hiding the melted remains of the probes.

Mark

george.h

Post by george.h » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:11 pm

Elminster wrote:I've tested mains voltage with an under a tenner multimeter many times.The only problem I ever had was human error.Manage to touch the probes together and fried the MCB on the consumer unit.When the electrician replaced it I said I just 'couldnt under stand how it suddenly broke' while hiding the melted remains of the probes.
I'd be seriously worried about the quality of your MCBs if it failed..... What brand and spec (rating and "type", i.e. B/C) was the one that "fried"? I'd sort of expect your meter leads to go in the time it took the MCB to trip, but certainly not the MCB to die....
Pic Caption: "One day son, this will all be yours..."

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:28 pm

george.h wrote:
Elminster wrote:I've tested mains voltage with an under a tenner multimeter many times.The only problem I ever had was human error.Manage to touch the probes together and fried the MCB on the consumer unit.When the electrician replaced it I said I just 'couldnt under stand how it suddenly broke' while hiding the melted remains of the probes.
I'd be seriously worried about the quality of your MCBs if it failed..... What brand and spec (rating and "type", i.e. B/C) was the one that "fried"? I'd sort of expect your meter leads to go in the time it took the MCB to trip, but certainly not the MCB to die....
Dont remember had it ripped out and had the house brought up from 16th to 17th edition not long after we moved in. Now have multiple RCDs and RCBOs and enough spare blank to add about 6 more circuits should I need to. Also those light fittings have since gone and it was partially rewired.

george.h

Post by george.h » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:59 pm

Elminster wrote:Dont remember had it ripped out and had the house brought up from 16th to 17th edition not long after we moved in. Now have multiple RCDs and RCBOs and enough spare blank to add about 6 more circuits should I need to. Also those light fittings have since gone and it was partially rewired.
LOL - sounds like it was worth doing just to be rid of (by the sounds of it) a dodgy load of MCBs.... :wink:
Pic Caption: "One day son, this will all be yours..."

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Well, done the reading and am now veering towards the Extech EX330. It'll mainly be used for low voltage DC but could also be useful when changing light fittings, switches, etc. Costs a little more than I wanted to pay but the I especially like the NCV detector.
- Nigel

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:36 pm

Do let us know how you get on. Happy metering :mrgreen: :D

Mark

stevendt

Post by stevendt » Thu May 07, 2015 11:46 pm

Pernod wrote:Well, done the reading and am now veering towards the Extech EX330. It'll mainly be used for low voltage DC but could also be useful when changing light fittings, switches, etc. Costs a little more than I wanted to pay but the I especially like the NCV detector.
Probably too late now, but, if you haven't already got one. ........

I have a cheapo DMM that I was given a while ago that I will never use (my trusty Fluke 8060A is what I use). My "cheapo" would do the job as you describe it, it's yours if you pay the postage, I think it's £2.80 for RM "small packet" these days (PayPal gift)

Regards
Dave

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Fri May 08, 2015 2:08 am

stevendt wrote:Probably too late now, but, if you haven't already got one. ........
Thanks for the offer but got one a few weeks ago.
- Nigel

Return to “off-topic”