adsl cables

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
Fraser

adsl cables

Post by Fraser » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:43 pm

I have found that the cables are sometimes wired reversed at one end. I am talking about telephone adsl cables between adsl adapters and a wall socket. I had one that was reversed and it connected at slower speeds that it did after I rewired it straight. It might have something to do with the length of them. I could not find anything on the internet about this so any information will be appreciated.

1024MAK

Re: adsl cables

Post by 1024MAK » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:14 pm

The following refers to ADSL as used in BT telephone lines.
Do you mean the cable between the cable and connectors used between the ADSL adaptor (that plugs into your "BT" style wall socket) and your router or "cable modem"?
BT telephone lines have one leg (wire) earthed at the exchange.
There is very little in the ADSL adaptor for the ADSL lines, most of the circuitry is to provide a filter for the telephone outlet connector.
Normally most equipment (telephones, modems, ADSL routers etc.) doesn't care which way round the two line connections are made. So should be the same for ADSL routers...
The line wire to your house only contains two wires, called "A" and "B". In your "BT master LJU socket" a third circuit is provided by a capacitor to a third wire, and is just provided to provide a ringing circuit to your telephones. Where ADSL is in use, it is recommended to remove this third wire and insulate it to reduce possible interference.

Mark K.

Fraser

Re: adsl cables

Post by Fraser » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:12 am

I call a PCI card or an external box and ADSL adapter because they technically can't be called modems. I have a PCI card that connects at faster rates with a straight wired cable. It doesn't seem to affect an adsl adapter/router box that I've got.

My wall socket had the back part replaced recently. In the past I think I sometimes lost connection when the phone rang.