USB drives on TVs

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
Fraser

USB drives on TVs

Post by Fraser » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:55 am

Does anyone have much experience of connecting USB drives to TVs? I have a NTFS format drive that wasn't recognised but a FAT USB stick was. I am wondering if they don't usually accept NTFS. There is also limitations with file formats but I need to get a hard drive recognised first.

LeeB

Re: USB drives on TVs

Post by LeeB » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:46 pm

Hi, I don't have much direct experience of connecting USB drives to TVs I have to admit... (does the TV have a USB socket? What make/model of TV is it? am curious!)

However, from past experience, only Windows based computers can read NTFS - nearly all other devices can only access FAT/FAT32 partitions. Am assuming that there's some sort of linux based processor in the TV that accesses the HD, that probably doesn't have NTFS drivers installed. You could try reformatting the USB drive, presuming that there's nothing on it you want to keep!!

Am still curious about what TVs you can plug USB devices directly into, can you play media files off of them or something?
My Panasonic at home has an SD card that can play a slideshow of jpegs but that's about it...

Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:47 pm

It's not really a Linux thing - Linux has had the ability to read NTFS partitions for a looong time, and the write functionality has been stable for several years too.

It's more likely just the case that the FAT filing system is simpler for the manufacturer to implement and test - it's also the same with routers like the BT Home Hub. That has an undocumented feature where it will also read a FAT USB stick if you plug one in, but not NTFS.

Longer term, I think most TVs will become network connected and just stream media off a NAS on your LAN or direct from the internet either over wi-fi, or via regular ethernet cable.

Sam.

LeeB

Post by LeeB » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:59 pm

Samwise wrote:It's not really a Linux thing - Linux has had the ability to read NTFS partitions for a looong time, and the write functionality has been stable for several years too.
Fair enough, my *unix knowledge is quite rusty, the only reason i've used it at all in the last ten years has been as a web server.
My memory of using Linux at home was that of having to manually add in NTFS drivers, but as you say, that was probably a looong time ago! ;-)

I for one, can't wait for more TVs to act as media players - at the moment am having to stream media from my main PC to my PS3 (ever since i realised that my media center PC couldn't cope with streaming HD).

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:12 pm

Lee wrote:Am still curious about what TVs you can plug USB devices directly into, can you play media files off of them or something?
My TV is an LG 37LD490 and it has USB into which you plug a USB stick with photos etc. and view them. I haven't investigated it fully, i.e. supported media types, but it certainly works with jpeg photos on a FAT stick.

EDIT : Manual says "Only photo (JPEG), music (MP3) and movie(DAT, MPG, MPEG, VOB, AVI, DIVX, MP4, MKV, TS, TRP, TP, ASF, WMV) are supported."

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:21 am

Mines a Sony Bravia. I can't find much information on the supported formats. It seems to be JPEG and RAW pictures, MP3 and a small number of video formats. I updated its firmware yesterday and I thought I'd knackered it! 10 minutes later the panic was over when it came back on.

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:19 pm

Linux definitely understands NTFS, even I have been able to make my Ubuntu box access my NTFS drives. Some applications don't seem to want to write to an NTFS partition, though, for example Firefox when downloading a file, but that's another story for another topic far away.

I can add some anecdotal evidence, but I don't know the TV make or model:

A few weeks ago somebody at work got a new telly with a USB recording facility and plugged a stick in which wouldn't work because it was NTFS and not FAT. The telly apparently didn't have the capability to format a stick to what it wants, and it had to be done in a PC instead (by me).

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:35 pm

I formatted the same drive with NTFS and FAT32 and only FAT32 worked. The video formats seem to be quite limited.

PitfallJones

Post by PitfallJones » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:41 pm

I think TV manufactures do not support NTFS because Micro$oft owns it and requires licensing fees.

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:57 am

NTFS can handle a file >4gb, if FAT32, then files are no longer than 4gb.

and yes most things run on FAT32, and if a film/game is >4gb, it turns it into two files being .001 4gb and .002 <4gb etc.

better with those HMDI boxes that run from a 5v USB potable hard drive that can play just about anything, saves hunting 100+ DVDr discs! :)
ImageImageImage