LOL DESCRIPTION

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
User avatar
leenew
Posts: 3603
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:27 pm
Location: Doncaster, Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: LOL DESCRIPTION

Post by leenew » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:35 am

I find that these little "mistakes" are where the eBay bargains lay. ....
E.g. someone searching "sinclair computer" would miss it, so maybe it will go quite cheap? :wink:
Lee

Zarchos
Posts: 2355
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 8:19 am
Location: FRANCE

Re: LOL DESCRIPTION

Post by Zarchos » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:38 am

leenew wrote:I find that these little "mistakes" are where the eBay bargains lay. ....
E.g. someone searching "sinclair computer" would miss it, so maybe it will go quite cheap? :wink:
Lee
Who knows ...
Try searching 'Acron' and from time to time you'll be lucky ...

Prime
Posts: 2516
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 11:52 pm
Contact:

Re: LOL DESCRIPTION

Post by Prime » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:31 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acorn-Electro ... 2075123880

Doesn't look like a Plus 3 cart to me :) Though BeebMaster may be interested......

Cheers.

Phill.

User avatar
Wookie
Posts: 342
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:06 am
Location: Lost in a fog of PSU capacitor smoke
Contact:

Re: LOL DESCRIPTION

Post by Wookie » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:00 pm

Prime wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acorn-Electro ... 2075123880

Doesn't look like a Plus 3 cart to me :)
Yeah I spotted this earlier, but he states in the listing correct photos to be uploaded later, check out his other items it's the same story.
cheers Wookie
Overclocked StrongARM RiscPC + Viewfinder
Overclocked Arm3 8MB A310 + vidc extender
BBC Master with Matchbox CoPro
BBC B+ 64K
My original Electron from 1985 with Slogger MasterRam/Turbo,AP1,AP2 rom, AP3+4 & New AP6

poink
Posts: 963
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:27 am
Contact:

Re: LOL DESCRIPTION

Post by poink » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:31 pm

leenew wrote:I find that these little "mistakes" are where the eBay bargains lay.
That's true; although I've noticed eBay's search getting a lot better at finding them - it's in eBay's interest, of course, because higher prices mean higher fees. It only tends to work out where something's misdescribed in a way that people searching for it are likely to have excluded it in their search (eg., Mac OS X Leopard (10.5) getting described as Snow Leopard (10.6))).

Most of the bargains I've seen recently have been at odd times; either (eg., 6 in the morning) or during work hours but not at lunchtime (eg., 1500-1700 on a weekday).

The best source of low prices is simply to be looking at things people don't want right now eg., Sega Master System, Original XBox etc., - not that that does much good with Acorn stuff at the moment.

User avatar
flaxcottage
Posts: 3118
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:46 pm
Location: Derbyshire
Contact:

Re: LOL DESCRIPTION

Post by flaxcottage » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:00 pm

- John

Why do I keep collecting Acorn gear? I'm going to need a considerably bigger man-cave. :?

User avatar
DutchAcorn
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:56 am
Location: Maarn, Netherlands
Contact:

Re: LOL DESCRIPTION

Post by DutchAcorn » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:39 am

It would seem to me that, even for this "low starting price" some essential information is missing: http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Computer-Game-f ... 1069652952 :D
Paul

User avatar
danielj
Posts: 6369
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:51 pm
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Re: LOL DESCRIPTION

Post by danielj » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:32 am

No packaging, no name, lol description and lol-priced...

Well done that seller.

d.

User avatar
daveejhitchins
Posts: 4267
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:23 pm
Location: Newton Aycliffe, County Durham
Contact:

Re: LOL DESCRIPTION

Post by daveejhitchins » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:56 am

Wow! . . . Whoever knew?

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

User avatar
Wookie
Posts: 342
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:06 am
Location: Lost in a fog of PSU capacitor smoke
Contact:

Re: LOL DESCRIPTION

Post by Wookie » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:56 pm

daveejhitchins wrote:Wow! . . . Whoever knew?

Dave H :D
Been listed quite a few times now, I contacted the seller months ago via ebay and told them it wasn't for an electron, it was for the later archimedes range of machines, guess what never got a reply and they keep relisting it wrongly :roll:
cheers Wookie
Overclocked StrongARM RiscPC + Viewfinder
Overclocked Arm3 8MB A310 + vidc extender
BBC Master with Matchbox CoPro
BBC B+ 64K
My original Electron from 1985 with Slogger MasterRam/Turbo,AP1,AP2 rom, AP3+4 & New AP6

User avatar
paulv
Posts: 3629
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:37 pm
Location: Leicestershire
Contact:

Re: LOL DESCRIPTION

Post by paulv » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:48 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acorn-A3010-V ... ?#viTabs_0
Computer powers up but shows an error message, as I know very little about computers this might be something that is easy to fix or the computer may just be suitable for parts. Some slight discolouration to the white keys and some minor rusting to the back but overall in very good condition.
Minor rusting on an otherwise good looking A3010 = Major battery leakage on an ARM250 motherboard :(

Paul

User avatar
flaxcottage
Posts: 3118
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:46 pm
Location: Derbyshire
Contact:

Re: LOL DESCRIPTION

Post by flaxcottage » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:58 pm

I love the photos for this listing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acorn-A3000-m ... SwZ8ZW7sHC

There is some serious fuzzy green stuff here. :lol:
- John

Why do I keep collecting Acorn gear? I'm going to need a considerably bigger man-cave. :?

User avatar
paulv
Posts: 3629
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:37 pm
Location: Leicestershire
Contact:

Re: LOL DESCRIPTION

Post by paulv » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:43 pm


User avatar
leenew
Posts: 3603
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:27 pm
Location: Doncaster, Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: LOL DESCRIPTION

Post by leenew » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:37 pm

Ha! I love it that he has taken 10 pictures of a power cable! :D
Lee.

JonC
Posts: 654
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 9:19 pm
Location: Wakefield
Contact:

Re: LOL DESCRIPTION

Post by JonC » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:27 pm

But will it work with my 1992 Green Morphy Richards Kettle?!?! :shock:

:lol:
Jon
Image

User avatar
1024MAK
Posts: 7649
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:46 pm
Location: Looking forward to summer in Somerset, UK...
Contact:

Re: LOL DESCRIPTION

Post by 1024MAK » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:38 pm

And here we have a super R@RE power cable, only 10368 in stock for FREE next working day delivery!
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

User avatar
JudgeBeeb
Posts: 677
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:56 pm
Contact:

Re: LOL DESCRIPTION

Post by JudgeBeeb » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:00 am

1024MAK wrote:And here we have a super R@RE power cable, only 10368 in stock for FREE next working day delivery!
Only 10367 left now. Bet get in there quick!
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?

User avatar
JudgeBeeb
Posts: 677
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:56 pm
Contact:

Re: LOL DESCRIPTION

Post by JudgeBeeb » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:11 pm

This must be the ultimate LOL description: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331899167956 (Note: This seller is also selling used underwear :shock: )

This is more LOL photo: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282083954856
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?

User avatar
1024MAK
Posts: 7649
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:46 pm
Location: Looking forward to summer in Somerset, UK...
Contact:

Re: LOL DESCRIPTION

Post by 1024MAK » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:11 pm

lazarusr wrote:This must be the ultimate LOL description: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331899167956 (Note: This seller is also selling used underwear :shock: )
I wondered what "The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully ..." Was on about :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

User avatar
JudgeBeeb
Posts: 677
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:56 pm
Contact:

Re: LOL DESCRIPTION

Post by JudgeBeeb » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:27 pm

For the LOL generally category: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361634673696

Come to think of it, I have no idea why this came up on one of my standard eBay searches.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?

JonC
Posts: 654
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 9:19 pm
Location: Wakefield
Contact:

Re: LOL DESCRIPTION

Post by JonC » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:57 pm

lazarusr wrote:For the LOL generally category: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361634673696

Come to think of it, I have no idea why this came up on one of my standard eBay searches.
I like the bit about accepting no responsibility for leakage from an empty bottle! :lol:
Jon
Image

Zarchos
Posts: 2355
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 8:19 am
Location: FRANCE

Re: LOL DESCRIPTION

Post by Zarchos » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:58 am

'The battery was changed before the original one leaked so the motherboard is in excellent condition with no battery leak damage whatsoever. See last picture.'

No battery damage, really ?
So what's the wire for in the last picture ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acorn-Archime ... Swvg9Xf16A

User avatar
daveejhitchins
Posts: 4267
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:23 pm
Location: Newton Aycliffe, County Durham
Contact:

Re: LOL DESCRIPTION

Post by daveejhitchins » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:09 am

Zarchos wrote:No battery damage, really ?
So what's the wire for in the last picture ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acorn-Archime ... Swvg9Xf16A
That's definatly a professional mod . . . Sleeved, with a blob of 'tac' holding the wire down to the board. No offence to anyone, but you don't usually get that from a hobbyist! And there's absolutely no signs of any battery leak!

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

Zarchos
Posts: 2355
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 8:19 am
Location: FRANCE

Re: LOL DESCRIPTION

Post by Zarchos » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:37 am

daveejhitchins wrote:
Zarchos wrote:No battery damage, really ?
So what's the wire for in the last picture ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acorn-Archime ... Swvg9Xf16A
That's definatly a professional mod . . . Sleeved, with a blob of 'tac' holding the wire down to the board. No offence to anyone, but you don't usually get that from a hobbyist! And there's absolutely no signs of any battery leak!

Dave H :D
OK.
So a factory mod ?
But well the battery is also very well soldered, so it could be that the seller is a 'professional' hobbyist ...

JonC
Posts: 654
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 9:19 pm
Location: Wakefield
Contact:

Re: LOL DESCRIPTION

Post by JonC » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:56 am

Zarchos wrote:
daveejhitchins wrote:
Zarchos wrote:No battery damage, really ?
So what's the wire for in the last picture ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acorn-Archime ... Swvg9Xf16A
That's definatly a professional mod . . . Sleeved, with a blob of 'tac' holding the wire down to the board. No offence to anyone, but you don't usually get that from a hobbyist! And there's absolutely no signs of any battery leak!

Dave H :D
OK.
So a factory mod ?
But well the battery is also very well soldered, so it could be that the seller is a 'professional' hobbyist ...
Lol, a hobbyist can work and produce to professional standards. Especially if they used to do it for a living. :D
There are a number of people on here who fall into that category!
Jon
Image

Zarchos
Posts: 2355
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 8:19 am
Location: FRANCE

Re: LOL DESCRIPTION

Post by Zarchos » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:39 pm

JonC wrote:
Zarchos wrote:
daveejhitchins wrote:That's definatly a professional mod . . . Sleeved, with a blob of 'tac' holding the wire down to the board. No offence to anyone, but you don't usually get that from a hobbyist! And there's absolutely no signs of any battery leak!

Dave H :D
OK.
So a factory mod ?
But well the battery is also very well soldered, so it could be that the seller is a 'professional' hobbyist ...
Lol, a hobbyist can work and produce to professional standards. Especially if they used to do it for a living. :D
There are a number of people on here who fall into that category!
Indeed !
You fully understood me ;-)

User avatar
vectorlight
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:23 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: LOL DESCRIPTION

Post by vectorlight » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:59 am

Zarchos wrote:'The battery was changed before the original one leaked so the motherboard is in excellent condition with no battery leak damage whatsoever. See last picture.'

No battery damage, really ?
So what's the wire for in the last picture ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acorn-Archime ... Swvg9Xf16A
That there A3010 is mine that I'm selling :D The mod is a factory mod, I've seen them many times before on various A3010/A3020's there's nothing sinister going on :shock:
3D Printing and Acorn A3010 Owner!

Zarchos
Posts: 2355
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 8:19 am
Location: FRANCE

Re: LOL DESCRIPTION

Post by Zarchos » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:46 am

vectorlight wrote:
Zarchos wrote:'The battery was changed before the original one leaked so the motherboard is in excellent condition with no battery leak damage whatsoever. See last picture.'

No battery damage, really ?
So what's the wire for in the last picture ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acorn-Archime ... Swvg9Xf16A
That there A3010 is mine that I'm selling :D The mod is a factory mod, I've seen them many times before on various A3010/A3020's there's nothing sinister going on :shock:
I was ready to bet the seller was a *. member ;-) so ahem this alone justifies the price :D


steve3000
Posts: 1874
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:43 am
Contact:

Re: LOL DESCRIPTION

Post by steve3000 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:08 pm

That would have failed my test - it's missing its feet! :roll:

Even more [-X though...the seller has the feet! He's just pulled them off the case and they're up for grabs separately!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tested-BBC-Mi ... 1879175811

...at least he has "tested" them...and I'm sure they worked just fine when they were fitted to the case...

Post Reply