RM Nimbus Basic revival - any interest?

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
BigEd

RM Nimbus Basic revival - any interest?

Post by BigEd »

Tim Adams is working on a portable 64bit re-implementation of RM Basic, and is interested on any feedback or thoughts or back-in-the-day experience with RM Nimbus.

There's a thread over here with a link to the github repo.
RM BASICx64 is a 64-bit re-implementation of RM Basic, a dialect of BASIC developed by Research Machines in 1985 for the RM Nimbus PC186, targeting Windows and Linux operating systems.

Code: Select all

26G bytes workspace available
... should be enough for anyone.
danielj

Re: RM Nimbus Basic revival - any interest?

Post by danielj »

Excellent - RM BASIC was also used on the 380z and 480z - I'd guess the nimbus version was an evolution of it? (he says not having done any googling) Our nimbii at school mostly ran the nimbus port of BBC BASIC :)

d.
rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr »

I used 380z and 480z computers at high school (unfortunately not a Beeb in sight), would be great to try out its Basic again.
Richard B
Acorn Electrons issue 4 and 6, MRB, Plus 1, AP6, AP5, Pegasus 400, BeebSCSI, Gotek, Raspberry Pi, GoSDC MBE.
BBC B+ 64K (128K upgraded) with Duel OS, Raspberry Pi and Gotek.
timadams

Post by timadams »

Great to see some interest here! I remember the Nimbus BBC Basic port - it was pretty good too, and it's great that BBC Basic still seems to be in active development. Poor old RM Basic is dead as a doornail from what I can tell but I'm determined to bring it back! I don't remember if RM Basic on the Nimbus was actually related to Basic on the 3/480Z. That's the trouble with this project is the lack of information beyond the manuals. Everyone knows Richard T. Russell but all I found out about who developed RM Basic is a string in the decompiled executable crediting "Tim, Goat, Gerry & Co." - if anyone can shed any light that would great!
danielj

Post by danielj »

timadams wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:48 pm
Great to see some interest here! I remember the Nimbus BBC Basic port - it was pretty good too, and it's great that BBC Basic still seems to be in active development. Poor old RM Basic is dead as a doornail from what I can tell but I'm determined to bring it back! I don't remember if RM Basic on the Nimbus was actually related to Basic on the 3/480Z. That's the trouble with this project is the lack of information beyond the manuals. Everyone knows Richard T. Russell but all I found out about who developed RM Basic is a string in the decompiled executable crediting "Tim, Goat, Gerry & Co." - if anyone can shed any light that would great!
Have you tried the RM group on groups.io? https://groups.io/g/research-machines

d.
timadams

Post by timadams »

Cheers Daniel - I didn't know it existed. Going over there to have a look around now...
danielj wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:54 pm
Have you tried the RM group on groups.io? https://groups.io/g/research-machines

d.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

I used a 380Z at school, but unfortunately the only two things that I can remember about it (the BASIC rather than the computer) are that it loaded from floppy disk, and it wasn’t BBC BASIC! The school had one 380Z and two BBC B’s.

It would be fun to have a play with it though.

Mark
Richard Russell

Post by Richard Russell »

timadams wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:48 pm
I remember the Nimbus BBC Basic port - it was pretty good too
The Nimbus BBC BASIC port was a little unusual in that it was a hybrid: the interpreter was mine, but the VDU emulator was written by RM to utilise the capabilities of their hardware. That way they achieved better compatibility with the BBC Micro than my BASICs managed in the day with standard graphics cards.
I am suffering from 'cognitive decline' and depression. If you have a comment about the style or tone of this message please report it to the moderators by clicking the exclamation mark icon, rather than complaining on the public forum.
timadams

Post by timadams »

Richard Russell wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:54 pm
The Nimbus BBC BASIC port was a little unusual in that it was a hybrid
Very interesting about the Nimbus port. I did used to wonder if the BBC-esque graphics were a software emulation or something in the Nimbus hardware. On the topic of RM Basic: I'm interested in learning some background about who developed it and how. I haven't found anything online. Do you know anyone who might be able to help? In any event it's great to hear from you - at school I spent many warm, sunny afternoons indoors working on BBC Basic!

Return to “off-topic”