Hotel Wi-Fi

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
BeebMaster

Hotel Wi-Fi

Post by BeebMaster » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:11 pm

Since I'm experiencing exactly this as I write, I thought I ask here. If I happen to be staying in a hotel where the free wi-fi is only available in public areas, and not in the rooms, is there any way I can break the system? Suppose I had one of those wi-fi repeater/strengthener things that plug into a mains socket, might that do the trick? Or any other tricks for next time would be good.

BigEd

Re: Hotel Wi-Fi

Post by BigEd » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:27 pm

You might find the hotel telly has a network connection. You might find that if you use a DNS VPN like the one from http://1.1.1.1 you can access your favourite sites. I haven't tried this.

I'm not sure an extender is any use to you - if it can pick up a signal from the public area, then your laptop could.

You might find a hotspot run by your smartphone is a good solution, if you have a contract or pre-pay which includes a reasonable amount of data allowance. I use giffgaff and they do 2G for £8 or 4G for £12 or 8G for £15. (For me 500MB for £6 seems to be enough. That might be a couple of hours of YouTube.)

Kazzie

Post by Kazzie » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:07 pm

BigEd wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:27 pm
I'm not sure an extender is any use to you - if it can pick up a signal from the public area, then your laptop could.
A directional antenna on the extender could help. BeebMaster, you don't happen to have any Pringles with you do you? :wink:
BBC Model B 32k issue 7, Sidewise ROM board with 16K RAM
Archimedes 420/1 upgraded to 4MB RAM, ZIDEFS with 512MB CF card
Acorn System 1 home-made replica

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:05 pm

You could do it with a pi and a couple of powerline adaptors. Most powerline WiFi won’t act as router I don’t believe. But someone might steal it.

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:15 pm

Yes, you could make up an innocuous looking box which plugs into a mains socket somewhere in the public area, and hope that it's still there when you check out. Or make up a bright yellow and black striped box with a label on it 'do not remove'?

A high gain directional antenna might be the answer - you'd need a wifi box which could make use of it.

In our previous house we had a thick interior stone wall and I tried all sorts of things to have seamless wifi in both halves. Ended up using Google Wifi boxes, which build themselves a mesh network, either side of a doorway, in combination with powerline networking. Not cheap, and not DIY, but it Just Worked.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:20 pm

BigEd wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:15 pm
Yes, you could make up an innocuous looking box which plugs into a mains socket somewhere in the public area, and hope that it's still there when you check out. Or make up a bright yellow and black striped box with a label on it 'do not remove'?

A high gain directional antenna might be the answer - you'd need a wifi box which could make use of it.

In our previous house we had a thick interior stone wall and I tried all sorts of things to have seamless wifi in both halves. Ended up using Google Wifi boxes, which build themselves a mesh network, either side of a doorway, in combination with powerline networking. Not cheap, and not DIY, but it Just Worked.
I have similar issue now, due to extension. Currently have 3 WiFi boxes, talk over mains and meshed.

Of course could just be easier to book into hotel with free room WiFi :)

Kazzie

Post by Kazzie » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:05 pm

Elminster wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:20 pm
I have similar issue now, due to extension. Currently have 3 WiFi boxes, talk over mains and meshed.
When my in-laws moved house, while they were redecorating and ordering new carpets, I talked them into letting me crawl under the floorboards and wire up every room in the house. :)

In our house, I haven't done the same as we're renting the property. But everything in the living room is wired (with cables tacked along skirting boards) and luckily one access point is enough to cover the rest of the house.
Last edited by Kazzie on Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:11 pm

they are usually slow as hell, so pointless.
go abroad and they are fast as lightning !! even with 200 kids watching cartoons :shock:

next time download Emmerdale & Coronation St before you go :D
ImageImageImage

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:29 pm

Lots of interesting ideas, thank you. I was thinking perhaps I might need 2 powerline adapters and plug one into the reception area and disguise it as an air freshener, might even be able to manage Eau De BeebPffftt, with the other in the room. But even then don't I need to sync it to the hotel wi-fi, or would it pick it up on its own?

The television is a Neo CRT set, so no internet!! And there's no Teletext button on the remote control, so I can't photograph dozens of Teletext pages like I did last time!

Maybe the room telephone might be an option? It says it's an Ericsson Business 'Phone.

Sorry, no Pringles, I have teapot, cup & saucer, spoon, 3 caddies of tea and 2 packets of Co-op Custard Creams.

Kazzie

Post by Kazzie » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:20 pm

BeebMaster wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:29 pm
The television is a Neo CRT set, so no internet!! And there's no Teletext button on the remote control, so I can't photograph dozens of Teletext pages like I did last time!

Maybe the room telephone might be an option? It says it's an Ericsson Business 'Phone.

Sorry, no Pringles, I have teapot, cup & saucer, spoon, 3 caddies of tea and 2 packets of Co-op Custard Creams.
This is starting to sound like an episode of MacGyver!

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:53 pm

CMcDougall wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:11 pm
they are usually slow as hell, so pointless.
go abroad and they are fast as lightning !! even with 200 kids watching cartoons :shock:

next time download Emmerdale & Coronation St before you go :D
Wifi is just rubbish in public places because it can only service one device at once. The new standards coming now will sort all that, once everyone buys new devices, dongles, access points and routers of course. I usually end up resort to just using 4g if available.