Blakes 7

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
pixelblip

Blakes 7

Post by pixelblip » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:46 pm

I guess you all saw the news about Paul Darrow.
He was so memorable.....I can hear the theme tune now after getting back from school.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48501099

Elminster

Re: Blakes 7

Post by Elminster » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:50 pm

Sad I was always hoping the relaunch of Blake 7 would happen with him in it. I never like the ending.

jimmydeath

Post by jimmydeath » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:11 pm

:(

jonb

Post by jonb » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:10 pm

My schoolmates raved about it when the first series was aired but I couldn't get into it. By the time the final series was broadcast, I was hooked (must have been Soolin, "Cor, wot a stunna!" as the Sun used to say). Did you know that Glynnis Barber also played one of Servalan's cloned soldiers, by the way? Anyway, the end was a bit sudden but left enough ambiguity for Tony Atwood to spin out a novel called "Afterlife" (which didn't take the story anywhere special, in my view).

On the other hand, the shoot out at the end was in line with the gritty nature of the universe that Balke's Seven was set in, and you might say it was inevitable given the odds and the loss of the Liberator (an alien ship that gave them the edge) at the end of the previous series.

Having said that, I do recall watching it back then and feeling quite shocked (and a little bit upset) at the finality of the last scene.

Watching it now on DVD, I do not think there has been another actor quite as intentionally hammy as Darrow in the role of Avon, but it seems to work. Maybe that is a degree of nostalgia on my part. But can anyone explain why he held his left hand over the Liberator handgun when firing, as if it would spit something back in his face?

According to the BBC News article posted above, Darrow provided voice jingles for Jack FM, known as "the Voice of Jack". I just popped over to the Jack FM web site and sure enough, there he is (after sitting though more than 10 adverts).. and he is sounding sarcastic like Avon!

Anyway, RIP Paul. Your passing is a great loss to all us UK Sci-Fi geeks.
Last edited by jonb on Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:52 pm

A popular Bristol FM/VHF radio station used to be branded as Jack FM and played the tag lines by Paul. But around five years ago they decided to stop paying the money for the rights and changed to Sam FM. I must say I do miss no longer hearing Paul’s tag lines :(

When I was a child, Blake’s 7 was my favourite Sci-Fi TV show. So much better than anything else that was British Sci-Fi at the time (but keep in mind that I had not discovered HGTTG at the time).

I have no idea why Avon / Paul did the hand over the gun thing. But then, the character did have a distrust of technology...

Just like a lot of Sci-Fi shows, part of the problem was getting the money to continue it. The same happened with Dark Matter on the Sy-Fy channel :(

Gritty Sci-Fi, and indeed most Sci-Fi doesn’t seem to be able to survive in ratings wars :(

Mark

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:17 pm

Lest we forget - Firefly. Cut tragically short. ‘You can’t take the sky from me...’ :cry:
Sorry - went off topic.
Adventure Language on GitHub
Atom, issue 5
Elk
A number of econetted (is that a word?) Beebs
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc, econet, NULA

jonb

Post by jonb » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:39 am

Firefly is a different genre. Not really sci-fi is it? More like "nice moralistic cowboy stories".

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:53 am

jonb wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:39 am
Firefly is a different genre. Not really sci-fi is it? More like "nice moralistic cowboy stories".
Although some of the characters die horribly in the 'final episode' i.e. the Film.

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:46 am

jonb wrote:
Pah! Sci-Fi - OK [-(

Loved the film too . . .

Dave H :lol:
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

jonb

Post by jonb » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:15 am

Elminster wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:53 am
jonb wrote:
Although some of the characters die horribly in the 'final episode' i.e. the Film.
Arghh! Plot spoiler!

I haven't had the opportunity to see the film, but I did enjoy the series (despite it not really being Sci-Fi).

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:28 am

Firefly-

Spaceships - check
High technology weapons - check
Band of outcasts fighting a brutal regime - check

Ok so cowboys in space but surely still sci-fi, if a little cross over? :)
Atom, issue 5
Elk

jonb

Post by jonb » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:32 pm

Yes, I suppose so, LB. But to me it looked like an excuse for Joss Whedon to film a Western show.

Most of the episodes I saw were about them landing on (yet another) Western themed planet and trading. I don't recall the brutal regime being much of an antagonist.

BRING BACK B7!

(By which I mean, the gritty story and strong characters..)
Last edited by jonb on Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:45 pm

I concur with bringing back B7!

As for the brutal regime - they were mostly hinted at in the TV series but were far more prominent in the movie.

Plot spoiler!

Code: Select all

Look at what the Alliance did to the planet Miranda. Very brutal. The various interactions with the Reavers were as a direct result of the actions of the Alliance. 
End of plot spoiler.

Had the TV series continued they may have gone more into that side of things but I guess we will never know.
Atom, issue 5
Elk

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:52 pm

Lardo Boffin wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:45 pm
Bring back B7 and Firefly :-)

Perhaps merge them. Can have ORAC as the ships computer

rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:03 pm

One of my favourite Sci-fi childhood tv series. Watched every episode. Always very disappointed with the ending, but it did leave an opening for another series sometime in the future. B7, Baker Dr Who, sapphire and steel, the tomorrow people etc... What a great period.
Last edited by rmbrowngr on Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard B
Acorn Electrons issue 4 and 6, MRB, Plus 1, AP6, AP5, Pegasus 400, BeebSCSI, Gotek, Raspberry Pi, GoSDC MBE.
BBC B+ 64K (128K upgraded) with Duel OS, Raspberry Pi and Gotek.

topcat96

Post by topcat96 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:17 pm

ORAC: I am closing down ... you have engaged my circuits on your petty affairs for far too long ...

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:45 pm

ORAC had lots of blinky lights. A true super computer.

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:30 pm

Elminster wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:52 pm
Lardo Boffin wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:45 pm
Bring back B7 and Firefly :-)

Perhaps merge them. Can have ORAC as the ships computer
ORAC would be horrified at Firefly’s technology :lol:

Speaking of intelligent 1980’s computers, what about having ORAC and K9 from Doctor Who in the same show, in the same place...

And bring back Dark Matter, and Stargate Universe. And a new Star Trek series, with a different ship with a different crew, exploring a different area / time line from any of the previous series, but not Star Trek: Discovery.

They’ve already done a remake of Battlestar Galactica, but what about a new programme series taking the idea of a fleet of Earth vessels that find they have to survive on their own after we make life on Earth so unpleasant. The back story being that those with money leave to look for somewhere else to live. But on route, they encounter a new species that is doing the same thing. Resulting in on going intermittent small scale clashes, as both race to get to a habitable planet in the hope that the other side will not find their main fleet of ships...

Plenty of scope for exploring Earth like planets, all of which have some undesirable characteristics. Maybe discovering the remains of infrastructure from other extinct species.

Plus the drama from ship system failures, as it’s hard to keep up maintenance while trying to put distance between you and your opponents...

Note to self, whoops! Topic tangent alert! ["Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb”...] :lol:

Mark
Last edited by 1024MAK on Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:35 pm

RIP Paul, always my favourite B7 character (some distance back I can just make out Vila acting furtively).
Coincidentally I've just been reading Terry Nation's novel as a bit of prep for my assembly language adventure game (still very much at the design stage). Tucked inside as a bookmark was this (which I think was in the B7 magazine published by Marvel in the mid 1980s). As I recall there was a national campaign going on to bring B7 back although it would appear to have been scuppered by a certain Michael Grade who notoriously cancelled Doctor Who (quite rightly if you ever saw the Sylvester McCoy reincarnation).
Did anyone ever say "down and safe" btw ? As I recall someone had that as their motif on this website but I can't remember who.
Attachments
BBB7.jpg
Last edited by fuzzel on Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “off-topic”