Does anyone know anything about Amstrad Mega PC

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
Ioerror

Does anyone know anything about Amstrad Mega PC

Post by Ioerror » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:43 pm

Hi

As per title is anyone on here familiar with the Amstrad Mega PC? I have one and two motherboards. One motherboard will boot into the PC side and format a CF card but will not play Mega Drive games. The other will play mega Drive games no problem but reports floppy disk and hard drive controller failures.

Not sure where to go from here.

Regards

Elminster

Re: Does anyone know anything about Amstrad Mega PC

Post by Elminster » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:50 pm

Only what I saw on a recent episode of retromancave YouTube channel this week.

Might be some sources or idea on there was my thought
Last edited by Elminster on Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chinnyhill10

Post by chinnyhill10 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:16 pm

Ioerror wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:43 pm
Hi

As per title is anyone on here familiar with the Amstrad Mega PC? I have one and two motherboards. One motherboard will boot into the PC side and format a CF card but will not play Mega Drive games. The other will play mega Drive games no problem but reports floppy disk and hard drive controller failures.

Not sure where to go from here.

Regards
The CPC Wiki forum is the place to ask in the other hardware section. AFAIK they are standard PC's for the era with a Megadrive on an ISA card. The ISA is in fact totally separate and only relies on the host for power and lines to the video and sound out.

If it won't play Megadrive games, check the board is getting power from the PSU and that the switch is activating when you select which 'side' of the system you wish to use.

Ioerror

Post by Ioerror » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:50 pm

Oh man, years ago when I took the battery out I must have snagged the track with the snips. A quick test holding a jumper wire over the break fixed the problem. I feel stupid. Thanks for the replies.

regards

Prime

Post by Prime » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:58 pm

Ioerror wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:50 pm
Oh man, years ago when I took the battery out I must have snagged the track with the snips. A quick test holding a jumper wire over the break fixed the problem. I feel stupid. Thanks for the replies.
Should be easier to fix than the ones I did for Arcadian, ended up doing several kynar patches, replacing floppy & IDE connectors and having to find the data sheets for the machine's chipset to work out where some of the corroded tracks went.

Cheers.

Phill.

Return to “off-topic”