What has happened to Firefox add-ons?

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
BeebMaster

Re: What has happened to Firefox add-ons?

Post by BeebMaster » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:59 pm

I need to psyche myself up for this. And I think a Clonezilla of the whole hard drive is the first pre-requisite.

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:28 pm

I've a feeling that running the Nightly or other non-standard "channels" is a way to run more than one version at once. See
https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/channel/desktop/

Boydie

Post by Boydie » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:41 pm

scruss wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 1:59 am
BeebMaster wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:58 pm
What else can I do??
They're working on a patch for the legacy versions (like 56), but obviously it's not a priority. Mike Hoye (a Mozilla engineer I know) makes some appearances in this MeFi thread - https://www.metafilter.com/180725/A-Gli ... ns#7695301 - explaining what is being fixed.

All the advice you've been following is for Quantum, which is a much better browser that v56: faster, much smaller memory use, more efficient CPU use. The old add-on system wasn't secure, and the DownThemAll developers had 1½ years to update to the new system. Rather than doing so, they sat on their heels and whinged.

Download Star is about the nearest a Firefox WE will get to DTA. Web Extensions doesn't have explicit access to the filesystem, so tools like Download Star can only save to Downloads.
It took a while, but DownThemAll is back now.

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:28 am

That's good news, and I'm edging closer to taking the plunge. It's now on my short to-do list as "FF 'upgrade'", just before "L4FS Omniclient".

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:06 pm

I'm trying out the RPi4 for a couple of weeks to see if it's viable as an alternative to buying a new Desktop computer, so by proxy I have "upgraded" to a newer version of Firefox. However, it isn't as up to date as I thought, because Raspbian uses Firefox ESR, and it tells me the latest version is 60.9 whereas other information suggests it should be 68 or later.

The consequence of this is that Down Them All has gone from being too old to run on Firefox to being too new to run on Firefox ESR!! So I'll have to wait till the Raspbian distribution of ESR catches up to see if it still works.

My other favourite extensions have been discontinued by and large, so I thought I would put here some workarounds I've discovered to restore some of the lost functions:

Status4Evar - this restored the status bar at the bottom of the window. This post replicates this add-on's function:

http://www.optimiced.com/en/2018/02/11/ ... x-quantum/

TabMixPlus - this did several things including saving sets of tabs as a session (which I can live without as I didn't use that much) and 2 other things I used to like:

1. Make sure Firefox doesn't close when you close the last tab open, instead a new tab keeps the window open. This can be done with:

browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab FALSE

in about:config.

2. Clicking on links to a different website (search results etc) opens the link in a new tab. Add-on "Open Link with New Tab" does this for you, although it isn't 100% reliable, sometimes it does muscle in on your current tab.

Because it's an ARM computer, many websites default to a portable telephone version of their site. To stop this you have to remove the references to "ARM" from your user agent string. When you've got the string add it as a new string called general.useragent.override without the ARM bit in about:config.

(Incidentally...although I'm not quite paranoid yet, can the user agent string identify you? And does editing it to make it "more unique" make it easier to identify the user? Should I do something to randomise the string periodically, or just copy a string from a non-ARM system, or will that make it worse?)

I always want backspace in Firefox to go back a step, edit browser.backspace.action to 0 in about:config.

I think all that gets me more or less back to the Firefox of old.

scruss

Post by scruss » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:51 pm

I'm told that Firefox Quantum builds and runs quite well on a Raspberry Pi 4, but I can't seem to find a build to point you to on Raspbian Stretch.

Privacy Badger, Facebook Cntainer and UBlock Origin should block most trackers. Changing user agent is a little like rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic

guesser

Post by guesser » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:11 pm

BeebMaster wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:06 pm
(Incidentally...although I'm not quite paranoid yet, can the user agent string identify you? And does editing it to make it "more unique" make it easier to identify the user?
Yes and Yes.

https://amiunique.org/
A web based teletext editor which can export as Mode 7 screen memory: https://zxnet.co.uk/teletext/editor
Join the Teletext Discord for teletext chat.

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:16 pm

guesser wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:11 pm
Yes and Yes.

https://amiunique.org/
He may be a bit paranoid after visiting that site :lol:

The more information that is returned or supplied, the easier it is to narrow down who you are when searching through a large database of anonymous information. It’s just a process of elimination...

Anyone misused www.192.com in the past? The more information you supply, the greater chance that it will confirm or not confirm the details of who you searching for....

Mark

Return to “off-topic”