what to do in Cambridge....

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
wolfgang

what to do in Cambridge....

Post by wolfgang » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:14 am

Since GB will still be in the EU for a little while, I decided to do what I wanted to do for a long time and visit Cambridge for 4 days arriving May 1st.
I am looking for suggestions what to do while I am there. So far I know about The Centre for Computing History and found this article:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/2 ... king_tour/
What else should I not miss while I am there?

Thanks,
Wolfgang

danielj

Re: what to do in Cambridge....

Post by danielj » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:27 am

4 days in Cambridge is quite a long time... I'd hit the galleries and museums associated with the University, also look around some of the colleges and perhaps try your hand at punting!

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:40 am

Depends what you want to do.

As Daniel says there are
  • many museums in Camrbdige, lots of free ones, e.g. Fitzwilliam, Sedgewick etc.
    Or there are trips on the Cam in a punt.
    Camrbdige recently got voted best city to shop in (or something like that)
    Lots of college and college property is open to visitors, for a fee. E,g, Kings College, Kings College chapel.
    You could go up St. Mary's church to see the view.
    Botanic Gardens (never been in, always been on my list)
Edit: I recommend using something like Trip Advisor. That is what I always do as soon as I get to a foreign city.
Edit2: Also I think this question has been asked before on the forum, some De Ja Vu, so might be some other ideas in other posts.
Last edited by Elminster on Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Andrew_Waite

Post by Andrew_Waite » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:22 pm

The Imperial War Museum at Duxford, just to the south of Cambridge, is well worth a visit.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-duxford
Last edited by Andrew_Waite on Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:51 pm

Andrew_Waite wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:22 pm
The Imperial War Museum at Duxford, just to the south of Cambridge, is well worth a visit.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-duxford
Good point, 27th (be over in May) is aviation safety day at Duxford. Might be off there ourselves.

Also if landing at stansted cold go back way to Cambridge and drop in at Audley End, if you like that sort of thing. So ls only work with car hire I guess.

And you are only just over an hour away from London by train, lots to do there.

wolfgang

Post by wolfgang » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:23 pm

Thanks for your suggestions. We will fly into London (LCY) and take the train to Cambridge. So we will not have a car at our disposal. I guess your way of mixing up left and right on the roads would be too much for me right now anyway. :D
Thanks,
Wolfgang

Andrew_Waite

Post by Andrew_Waite » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:25 pm

If you do not have a car, then Ely Cathedral is a short train trip from Cambridge.

Oliver Cromwell's House is also in Ely, although I have never been there.
Last edited by Andrew_Waite on Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:57 pm

wolfgang wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:23 pm
I guess your way of mixing up left and right on the roads would be too much for me right now anyway. :D
Label your hands then it is easy. :lol:
- John

lcww1

Post by lcww1 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:13 pm

As mentioned, the university has several museums worth visiting, including the often overlooked Scott Polar Research Institute museum on Lensfield Road (there’s a glorious bronze statue in the grounds that was cast by Scott’s widow and which was modelled on TE Lawrence’s younger brother). Once you’ve explored the city centre and the colleges, a walk out to the Botanic Garden is a good suggestion - the garden is lovely. The garden is also just next to Bateman Street which was once the headquarters of Jupiter Cantab Ltd. From there you could stroll across Sheep’s Green and Lamas Land towards Grantchester Meadows. There is a beautiful footpath that runs from the edge of the city, through meadows adjacent to the river Cam out to the village of Grantchester where you could have lunch in one of the pubs, or tea in the Orchard Tea gardens.

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:59 pm

If you want to tick your Acorn historical sites, lunch at the Baron of Beef on Bridge Street.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_