What a waste

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
Lardo Boffin

What a waste

Post by Lardo Boffin » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:48 pm

Today I had to take a broken freezer to the local recycling facility and happened to see a boxed, immaculate Amstrad CPC colour monitor (in amongst all if the flat screen tellies and PC monitors, one looked to be at least a 17” monitor - they were expensive!).
I asked one if the attendands if I could take it and sadly he said no and started quoting various regs at me.
I did manage to pursuade him to let me take the box (with polys) and a couple of manuals though so at least my monitor has a home now when not in use. :D
But what a waste. :evil:
I suspect the computer (probably also immaculate) is in the small electrics skip.
How many items end up like this? We should start a national awareness campaign!
Atom, issue 5
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Acorn 6502 coproc
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc
USA Model B
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc, econet, NULA

RobC

Re: What a waste

Post by RobC » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:16 pm

That is a shame.

Our local "recycling depot" usually picks out anything that might be valuable and sells them at a shop on site. I think they've even sold some old computers on eBay at various times in the past.

roland

Post by roland » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:01 pm

Lardo Boffin wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:48 pm
I asked one if the attendands if I could take it and sadly he said no and started quoting various regs at me.
Same here ... they have even cameras to prevent valuable retro-stuff being stolen. The recycling depot sells those goods to recycling companies (not on Ebay afaik) but sometimes I have to leave the depot with tears in my eyes :-({|=
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:42 pm

If they sold them on I would be less worried - I may be doing the local recycling facility a disservice but I am not sure they would know if anything like that is worth anything. Certainly the guy I spoke to had no clue. Pity.
Atom, issue 5
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Acorn 6502 coproc
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc
USA Model B
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc, econet, NULA

geraldholdsworth

Post by geraldholdsworth » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:22 am

In my job, I install new kit. Sometimes, this means taking out the old kit which is no longer required by the client. It is then up to me to dispose of said kit. I'm not allowed to sell the stuff, nor am I allowed to just put it in the bin (due to WEEE regs). I can't dispose of this stuff in our local 'recycling' facility either, as it is commercial waste...and my company offices are in Glasgow while I'm 200 miles north of this, so I can't give it to them to dispose of.

And, as it happens, I don't like to bin good working electronic equipment anyway, so I try and find someone who can make use of it. Unfortunately, I have yet to remove any retro gear :(
Gerald Holdsworth
Repton Resource Page
www.reptonresourcepage.co.uk

chinnyhill10

Post by chinnyhill10 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:40 am

Lardo Boffin wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:48 pm

I suspect the computer (probably also immaculate) is in the small electrics skip.
How many items end up like this? We should start a national awareness campaign!
Breaks my heart. I once watched an operative destroy a C64 PSU (in the era before you could buy superior replacements). I begged him not to, he just cut the cords off and hurled it in the bin in front of me.

So much stuff must go through those places. :-(