Ian Mcnaught-Davis

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
sorvad

Ian Mcnaught-Davis

Post by sorvad » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:57 pm

I know there's been the odd question about what happened to him, so I've been digging a little.

For those that don't know or remember him, he was the main presenter of a lot of computer programmes (started in 82) output by the BBC when they started there computer literacy project and thus commissioned the BBC Micro from Acorn computers.

For me he remains forever linked with the Beeb and I've very fond memories growing up watching the programmes he was in.

I've found a database of programmes on the BBC which shows what appears to be his last appearance for them, this was in the program THE NET: 10 July 1995

If you look at the link below you'll see everything else he did for the Beeb, from the series's he was in to the one off appearances on such things as Saturday Superstore.

http://catalogue.bbc.co.uk/catalogue/in ... butor/5466

I have (thanks to Dave at STH) "The Computer Programme" and "Making the Most of the Micro" but lack all the others, if anyone has these or know where to get them I'd love a copy :)

sorvad

Post by sorvad » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:06 pm

Digging around a little more I knew he was a keen climber and had been on TV back in the 60's for mountain climbing. However it turns out he's the president of the UIAA ( Union Internationale des Association d’Alpinisme - International Mountaineering and Climbing Federation )

You can see a picture of him taken in 2002 when he was investigating environment changes in Nepal for the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) ;

http://www.uiaa.ch/?c=71

It's the picture half way down with the two people in yellow jackets in the background. Ian is the one on the far left talking to camera.

There are many other pictures of him where you might recognise him on their website if anyone wants to look further.

So looks like he's still very active and fit (fitter than myself I'll bet) and he's devoted his time to his passion for mountain climbing. I wonder how he got into the Computing thing ? Back in the day (and for many years after) I'd assumed he'd got some sort of series background with them, but I wonder if he was just a presenter ? I'm thinking he was.

soundhog

Post by soundhog » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:23 am

He was also in some kind of management position with a company called "Comshare", who were either business software or systems based, I forget exactly what. He's mentioned (and shown) in an article I've got in an early '80s computer magazine, PCN or similar, but finding it could be tricky.

AJW

Post by AJW » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:57 am

sorvad wrote:Digging around a little more I knew he was a keen climber and had been on TV back in the 60's for mountain climbing. However it turns out he's the president of the UIAA ( Union Internationale des Association d?Alpinisme - International Mountaineering and Climbing Federation )

You can see a picture of him taken in 2002 when he was investigating environment changes in Nepal for the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) ;

http://www.uiaa.ch/?c=71

It's the picture half way down with the two people in yellow jackets in the background. Ian is the one on the far left talking to camera.

There are many other pictures of him where you might recognise him on their website if anyone wants to look further.

So looks like he's still very active and fit (fitter than myself I'll bet) and he's devoted his time to his passion for mountain climbing. I wonder how he got into the Computing thing ? Back in the day (and for many years after) I'd assumed he'd got some sort of series background with them, but I wonder if he was just a presenter ? I'm thinking he was.
I can't see anything from that. :roll:

sorvad

Post by sorvad » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:54 am

Do you mean the link doesn't work or the picture is too small, if too small try this one;

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/socs/lumc/uiaa_equipment.pdf

be warned, it's a biggish PDF, but there's a BW picture of him and an article he's written entitled "Letter from the President" on page 3.

and for perhaps a more up to date picture (that last was from 2000) see

http://www.uiaa.ch/article.aspx?c=113&a=486

If the link just didn't work then I'm not sure, works fine for me ?

sorvad

Post by sorvad » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:55 am

soundhog wrote:He was also in some kind of management position with a company called "Comshare", who were either business software or systems based, I forget exactly what. He's mentioned (and shown) in an article I've got in an early '80s computer magazine, PCN or similar, but finding it could be tricky.
Thanks soundhog, if it ever turns up a scan would be great.

AJW

Post by AJW » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:04 pm

sorvad wrote:Do you mean the link doesn't work or the picture is too small, if too small try this one;

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/socs/lumc/uiaa_equipment.pdf

be warned, it's a biggish PDF, but there's a BW picture of him and an article he's written entitled "Letter from the President" on page 3.

and for perhaps a more up to date picture (that last was from 2000) see

http://www.uiaa.ch/article.aspx?c=113&a=486

If the link just didn't work then I'm not sure, works fine for me ?
No, the original picture was just of a figure as far as I could see. I can see him now in these. It's so long ago since I saw the original programs that I'm amazed I still recognise him. However, I think I was reminded by a programme on in the 1990s on the 10th anniversary of the BBC Computer Literacy Project. Did anybody every see that?

sorvad

Post by sorvad » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:09 pm

I don't know, that'd be 1992. Should have caught it but memory hazy, anyone have a copy ? A 2002 edition would have been nice, showing just how far we've come.

soundhog

Post by soundhog » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:37 pm

So would a 25th, which would have been this year. But the BBC isn't really that interested in celebrating the more select areas of its past these days.

25 years. Flippin' heck.

sorvad

Post by sorvad » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:27 pm

soundhog wrote: 25 years. Flippin' heck.
Don't, you're making me feel old !

Dave Footitt

Post by Dave Footitt » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:30 pm

soundhog wrote:So would a 25th, which would have been this year. But the BBC isn't really that interested in celebrating the more select areas of its past these days.
Oh I don't know, we could suggest it was presented by a panel of Z-list celebrities, and have a £1-a-text voting system. They might consider it then.

AJW

Post by AJW » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:29 am

sorvad wrote:I don't know, that'd be 1992. Should have caught it but memory hazy, anyone have a copy ? A 2002 edition would have been nice, showing just how far we've come.
Yes on VHS. I must check if it was Ian.

sorvad

Post by sorvad » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:10 am

If that could be digitised that would be so so good whether he's in it or not, it'd be good viewing. I love those old shows especially one's I'd forgot about ! :) :) :)

Any chance of a digital copy 8) Can pay for it :) :) :) Or could be uploaded to UkNova (although my account expired a long time ago).

AJW

Post by AJW » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:56 am

I don't have the capability to transfer it to digital unfortunately. Best I could do is take some photographs of the TV.

sorvad

Post by sorvad » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:03 am

That's a shame, maybe sometime in the future ? Photo's would be good :)

Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:15 am

If you wouldn't mind loaning it, I'd be happy to digitise it ...

sorvad

Post by sorvad » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:36 am

AJW wrote:
sorvad wrote:I don't know, that'd be 1992. Should have caught it but memory hazy, anyone have a copy ? A 2002 edition would have been nice, showing just how far we've come.
Yes on VHS. I must check if it was Ian.
Just backtracking a post or two, according to the BBC he was in two programmes "Sign Extra" and "Breakfast News" in 92, no mention of any sort of computing specific programme so perhaps he's not in it, but would seem an odd omission.

Although, Carol Vorderman was getting in on the act back then if I remember. I think she did some programmes and definitely presented a live show that ran all the day on a Sunday IIRC. They did about 2 - 3 hours in the morning, broke for the afternoon, did a hour at teatime, then another bit maybe about 8 or 9ish.

I'm not 100% but looking at her entry on the BBC database she presented the software show and it rings a bell that this may have been a "Software Show :LIVE" event. But could be hopelessly wrong in that title there. Looking at the database again though I can't see any entry that looks like this live show.

But I'm 99% sure she presented some of it. Highlights that I can remember is setting some lad (age about 19 ish) to do the titles for the show from scratch including theme tune etc. He had all day to do it and possibly used an Amiga. They also covered desktop publishing. The beeb didn't get much of a look in (understandably, it was rather underpowered compared to the 16 bitters) but it was perhaps shown once.

[I'm off to do some more research on this]

sorvad

Post by sorvad » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:55 am

It looks like it was probably the Software Show, in particular the initial show which was in two parts. Once in the morning till lunch and then again at 23:14 at night for about half an hour (no tea time show, I've imagined that !) The rest of the shows were just single ones and possibly not live.

AJW

Post by AJW » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:39 pm

stairwaytohell wrote:If you wouldn't mind loaning it, I'd be happy to digitise it ...
Just checked the beginning and remember the man like yesterday. IIRC it was OU but I'll hopefully check later. It was called "The Trojan Mouse" and was Ian McNaught Davis. I brought the video down from my parents arounda year or so ago but haven't watched the programme yet. Funny, I recorded it and never watched it again over the years just kept hold of it - think I was ashamed I hadn't done more for the Beeb :(

Are post offices open on Saturdays STH? I can lend it to you via post but won't be able to get it priced and recorded in the week. Are you able to make MPEG versions as well? What kind of digital copy are you talking about? It's a bit grainy as you might expect.

sorvad

Post by sorvad » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:04 pm

"The Trojan Mouse", that rings a bell... Look forward to seeing a copy :)

jgharston

Re: Ian Mcnaught-Davis

Post by jgharston » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:21 pm

Powered down and packed up his crampons for the last time today.

Nothing on the news sites, but one item on the British Mountaineering Club site.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.32
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2020
>_

martinw

Post by martinw » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:39 pm

Very sad, great man =D>

Martin

Dave Footitt

Post by Dave Footitt » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:24 pm

:( Sad news

jms2

Post by jms2 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:00 pm

Very sad to hear this. I've been using this picture of him with the BBC micro as my avatar for a while - think I'll keep it as a kind of tribute.

Did anyone see a programme on canoeing down the Everest valley that he did the voice-over for? It was made in the 70s but shown over Christmas this year. The subject matter was amazing, but what made it even better was the minimalist, non-sensational and authoritative voice over from Ian Mcnaught-Davis. A million miles away from today's programmes and fascinating to watch. I had forgotten how much TV has changed.

paulv

Post by paulv » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:05 pm

Sad news indeed. :(

Elitist

Post by Elitist » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:59 pm

Very sad, I always liked him as a presenter (although I remember him dismissing computer games as a waste of computer power - I think it was in an earlier episode of Micro Live. I wonder what he thought of the relatively recent computer games, if he ever saw any?).

I see that he had Alzheimer's for the last 3 years of his life, then liver cancer. Very nasty.

R.I.P. Mac.

sorvad

Post by sorvad » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:52 pm

Yes. Very sad. He was a childhood hero. Can't believe BBC haven't written anything yet.

sPhilMainwaring

Post by sPhilMainwaring » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:15 pm

I clicked on this as I had a bad feeling it would be news of his dying

Sad day ... RIP Ian Mcnaught-Davis

nOmArch

Post by nOmArch » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:30 pm

Bugger, we've just lost a bone fide legend :(
Alex

Back up to 1 Beeb again. \o/

trevj

Post by trevj » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:37 am

jgharston wrote:Nothing on the news sites, but one item on the British Mountaineering Club site.
And the UIAA. Still nothing on BBC website. :( I find this incredible! You'd expect them to include such well-respected former staff/reporters in their list of ready-to-go obituaries.

Return to “off-topic”