Scanning manuals.

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
Prime

Scanning manuals.

Post by Prime » Wed May 16, 2018 8:03 am

Hi all,

As I'll soon have the CMS system in my hands and it comes with a bunch of A5 manuals, I was going to sit at work and scan them for presevation purposes.

What is the best way of going about this? The scanner I have is an A4 USB scanner, and will scan to a reasonable resolution. Looking at the auction pictures it looks like the manuals are not too thin and are stapled together (I'd rather not unstaple them if I can avoid it).

What I was thinking was to initially scan 2x A5 pages as A4 at the best resolution I can, as it will be relatively easy to digitally cut them back down to A5. Also I was thinking scan them to png (or at least something lossless), which from there could be used to do OCR or make PDFs etc.

Does this sound like a plan?

Cheers,

Phill.

Bat

Re: Scanning manuals.

Post by Bat » Wed May 16, 2018 8:22 am

vanpeebles

Post by vanpeebles » Wed May 16, 2018 10:05 am

In the past I just scan them, and save them as PNGs, at the default size (usually huge, a bigger resolution that the page), and keep those as your base scans. Then you can just tinker about with a copied set for PDFs, OCR etc.

dv8

Post by dv8 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:15 pm

Same here. I always scan to a lossless format first so there is no drop in quality during editing.

For text and line art I scan at 600 dpi, 1-bit.
Black+white photos at 300 dpi, 8-bit greyscale.
Colour photos at 300 dpi, 24-bit colour.

When scanning stapled documents in the past I've always removed the staples first. It's so much easier to deal with individual loose pages. The staples can always be put back in afterwards.