Windows, Office upgrade issues affecting Altium - Help!

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
daveejhitchins

Windows, Office upgrade issues affecting Altium - Help!

Post by daveejhitchins » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:58 am

Why does everything have to happen at the same time! :(

It was a dark moonlit night (just to set the scene!) . . . when Window 10 decided to install a 'critical' upgrade. During one of the many restarts I end up with a blue screen - :shock:
IMG_2166.jpg
Took ages to find a fix - eventually this procedure from YouTube -
IMG_2187.jpg
Finally Windows completed the upgrade.

Then, foolishly it seems now, I had offered a couldn't miss upgrade for Office 2003 to 2016. Didn't install, of course :roll: I ran an Office removal tool - it tried, however, kept saying some items couldn't be removed. Took me around 3Hrs of cleaning and defragging the registry. Finally the Office removal tool said all clear \:D/

Then came the bombshell . . . When I started Altium, to continue some work on MGC MK II, I couldn't load my library reference file! This is loaded in as an DBLIB file and links a reference file from Excel. All this file does is link the various sections of a Part e.g. Schematic symbol, PCB footprint along with any Datasheet and part numbers etc.

I hadn't altered the Excel file, as generated from the 2003 version, so thought there may be a problem here. Read into 2016 and saved again. No difference. This is the error message I'm seeing, within Altium -
Capture.JPG
No idea what a ISAM is - looked up what it stands for, but . . . Then my 11 button mouse died :shock: :(

I tried reverting to an earlier issue of altium (completely different install) and had the same results. I do have my original install file for Office 2003, but would rather fix this issue. anyone any ideas? I've tried the Altium Forum - but not results, as yet and nothing from Google.

Dave H :D
Last edited by daveejhitchins on Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

Lardo Boffin

Re: Windows, Office upgrade issues affecting Altium - Help!

Post by Lardo Boffin » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:07 pm

Wow. Not used Jet for a while!!!

Try this link?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/283881

A quick read through suggests it is down to the registry so it is possible you changed / removed something shared it still needed?

Lardo
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Retroclinic Datacentre + HDD, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, acorn cassette, Acorn 6502 coproc
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc
BBC Master

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:18 pm

Lardo Boffin wrote:Try this link?

A quick read through suggests it is down to the registry so it is possible you changed / removed something shared it still needed?
I think you may be right! I did find that article but was a little wary as it didn't mention anything after 2003 - however, it was updated early last year.

I did search the registry for JET and didn't find an instance . . . but as it was messing with the registry :shock: I left it alone. I'll have a go and see what I can do. I've already taken a backup of the registry - so hopefully can't do too much damage :?

Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:58 pm

... If it ain't broken, don't update it.. should be new moto for M$oft :evil:

see if the free OpenOffice can open your excel file without the 'junk' in registry .. :idea:

I've not used any M$oft dribble since my Key generator got eaten by virus checker. Also the music progs are dire.
ImageImageImage

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:49 pm

CMcDougall wrote:... If it ain't broken, don't update it.. should be new moto for M$oft :evil:
Not had any previous problems!
CMcDougall wrote:see if the free OpenOffice can open your excel file without the 'junk' in registry .. :idea:
Wouldn't be of any use, Col . . . It's the JET bit that does the work!

OK, I found there's not JET entry in the Registry (there should be!). But the file msexcl40.dll is in the Windows directory, so that's a start! I'm trying to follow the procedure, listed in the link above, that requires that msexcl40.dll be renamed and then force Office into repair mode. Even though I've made myself an admin I'm still not been allowed to rename the darned file . . . What am I doing wrong?