for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
Elminster

Re: 40

Post by Elminster » Tue May 01, 2018 10:51 pm

I guess on a similar line you could rewrite the MOS in ARM Assembly and do clever stuff to make MOS calls to PI hardware, but then of course you would need some sort of 6502 emulator sitting on top to catch people bypassing the MOS, which I would image is pretty much all the time with games. Which is how I asume the pidirect works.

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Wed May 02, 2018 7:31 am

That sounds great John. I will investigate. Thanks

Bat

Post by Bat » Wed May 02, 2018 8:47 am

Hi,
I like the ideas here :)
The point about the case for the keyboard is a good one as the MIST guy said the mould was really expensive so they went with the metal case. On the other hand the spectrum all in one games thing is in a plastic case?
How about going with the keyboard idea and bundling a Pi pre programmed and splitting the cost across the two?
That would allow the BT keyboard to be used with other things, say mobile emulator and there's hardware to run BBC software and develop IO modules and the like for those that want to?
Cheers,
Gavin :)

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Wed May 02, 2018 9:08 am

I wonder how Acorn like a Pi really would be. I have a pi-top laptop and could boot riscos. Job done, but it doenst really feel like an Acorn.

So do people want a case that reminds them of the original, or a keyboard, or just generaly usage. It is difficult to know the requirements.

Case
Perhaps, do a run of 'real' BBC cases (like they did with Amiga A500). These could be used to replace broken case and could also be used to fit 'something else' perhaps just tweaking it for a few exra mounting holes. That might make it possible to do scale of economics. The alternative is a custom case, ala Spectrum Next. Or final choie is some thing just Raspberry pi like.

Keyboard
Something retro and 'clicky'? Probably hard to manufacture these days, something like the current mac keyboard or something more like a traditional keyboard. USB or bluetooth? Build in or seperate, (or both I guess, a detachable keyboard)

Motherboard
A recreation of the origina, replacing with modern parts where required, i.e. like Roland's ATOM. Or a Roland style recreation but tweak a few bits. E.g. Videonula, (in development) blitter/sound and a build in pi zero for pidirect (possibly a second pi zero W for wifi and other stuff).

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Thu May 03, 2018 4:44 pm

Well I can't speak for everyone :) but a case is a possibility - not sure about new motherboards and stuff - does anyone have the time to do that?

I can imagine a new BBC having a beige case and a clicky keyboard. With Red keys....and a really solid power button.

There was a firm that made one recently....a pie like BBC case....what were they called....and Ben Heck made one.

Then again if you are going down the RISC os route and BBC basic maybe it should have a more archy styling like the A3020.
Thinking about it though it is the BBC's birthday not the Archies'.....

topcat96

Post by topcat96 » Thu May 03, 2018 6:21 pm

pixelblip wrote:There was a firm that made one recently....a pie like BBC case....what were they called....and Ben Heck made one.
https://retropicases.com/products/bbc-m ... ry-pi-case

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Fri May 04, 2018 8:58 am

I mentioned the new Amiga cases above. Originally they did 1200 and now doing 500. I expect this appears else where around here but as an example as what you could do with case see their last campaing fro the 500.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/new- ... omputers#/

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Fri May 04, 2018 3:50 pm

That sounds promising Elminster and within the realms of possibility!