New Acorn 8bit? Should there be one?

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
gob33

Re: New Acorn 8bit? Should there be one?

Post by gob33 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:50 pm

Better than that is to completely change RiscOS from cooperative to full preemptive kernel.

I see 2 options: Minix or μC/OS with a preference for the second.
These kernels are simple, academic for students, C-written, 5000 lines of reliable code.
Micrium also has a GUI which could inspire the out dated Wimp.

scruss

Post by scruss » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:00 pm

helpful wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:24 am
scruss wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:05 am
RISC OS isn't even on the download page any more.
Err, yes it is, just below Ubuntu Mate and OSMC. It's also one of the options in the NOOBS download.
My mistake. I thought they'd taken taken it down. It's not in the new Imager app, and it's listed below a whole bunch of OSs that don't even work any more, so it's not looking like a priority for the Foundation. Running it on a multi-core Raspberry Pi is an exercise in extreme cooling, too.

myelin

Post by myelin » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:49 pm

It disappeared from there for a couple of years, and returned in late 2018 once Raspberry Pi 3 support was added: https://www.riscosopen.org/news/article ... k-on-noobs

There's a super active thread on the RISC OS Open forum about porting to multicore CPUs: https://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/5/topics/406
SW/EE from New Zealand, now in Mountain View, CA, making BBC/Electron hardware projects for fun.
Most interesting: Arcflash, FX2+PiTubeDirect Tube/Cartridge adapter, USB cart interface.

mr-macrisc

Post by mr-macrisc » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:48 pm

I think although we can achieve a lot with upgrades. The number of people with them all is quite low and there are a lot of people who would possibly buy a new 8bit beeb for nostalgia. Ones who aren’t in the forum and currently don’t have a machine.

Add them to the guys who are into 8bit already and buy one and you may have enough people using the same hardware some new games or even Amiga ports could be targeted at the new box and access to all the old stuff too.

On the flip side if the elk ultra ULA gets to market and has elk, micro, master and some super turbo modes and nula stuff it could approach a similar idea.

Maybe the new machine could be based on an elk sized case or elk size with extended numeric keyboard (maybe all contained in a master compact keyboard looking unit.

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:22 pm

It would be a crying shame if the BBC didn't get a re-invent. C64 has had it as has speccy.
The trouble is as we have seen with Spectrum Next it is not so easy to pull off.
I think it should be kept simple. Design one case like the BBC Micro. Chuck it all in there. Put a pi in it that boots straight into BBC B Mode. Or you take the spectrum next motherboard and just design an BBC case for it. That way it's all been done already for you.
2 Years until the 40th........hmmmm can it be done!

AndyMc1280

Post by AndyMc1280 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:04 pm

pixelblip wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:22 pm
It would be a crying shame if the BBC didn't get a re-invent. C64 has had it as has speccy.
The trouble is as we have seen with Spectrum Next it is not so easy to pull off.
I think it should be kept simple. Design one case like the BBC Micro. Chuck it all in there. Put a pi in it that boots straight into BBC B Mode. Or you take the spectrum next motherboard and just design an BBC case for it. That way it's all been done already for you.
2 Years until the 40th........hmmmm can it be done!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Spec Next Running very expanded BBC Master core with Tube co pro.....

Thread on here

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14181&start=30

Return to “off-topic”