Raspberry Pi for Kodi media centre

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
leenew

Raspberry Pi for Kodi media centre

Post by leenew » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:08 pm

Hi
I was fed up paying Virgin media a ridiculous monthly fee so I have cancelled it all.
I had 50 meg broadband, a landline and TV bundle.
I hardly ever watch much telly, and I have never had a phone plugged in so I guess I wasn't getting great value for money.
I am thinking of getting a Rpi3 for all the TV shenanigans and maybe as a games centre too.
The trouble is, after a bit of reading, it all seems baffling!
I will get an "aerial man" to make sure I have a good aerial, but after that I don't know what to do.
Do we have any RPi/Kodi/XBMC/Retropie experts on here?
I have seen some pre configured bundles on Ebay at low medium and high prices.
Any help welcome :D

Lee.
Last edited by leenew on Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

poink

Re: Raspberry Pi for Kodi media centre

Post by poink » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:46 pm

leenew wrote:I will get an "aerial man" to make sure I have a good aerial, but after that I don't know what to do.
With the availability of iPlayer etc., a good internet connection is probably a better investment than the TV aerial - I've not actually used the aerial socket for a good few years.

I've maintained the license - mostly in case there was a programme I really wanted to watch live. As of fairly recently, you need the TV license for all of iPlayer - even catchup/on-demand programmes.

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:34 pm

The Pi does work as a media centre but it is a lot of fiddling. Great for a retro-geek but not so good for the technophobe. :lol:

In my case I kept the fast broad band with BT (they have always been excellent for me), subscribed to BT TV with free BT sport and subscribed to Netflix. That let me dump the ridiculous cost of Sky (which now acts a Freeview box). It saved me money and Mrs FlaxCottage can use the system easily.

I already had an Amazon Prime subscription to save on postage so I get included movies and music.

As an experiment I built a Raspberry Pi internet radio and mp3 player but it was just too 'Heath-Robinson' and very unreliable. :( I am now developing a RISCOS pico mp3 player for my HiFi setup based on a retro-Pi (an original 256Mb model).

The Pi3 does play DVDs very well and displays YouTube videos but it is not a domestic setup.

Maybe there is an opportunity for a kickstarter project here. :twisted:
- John

iainjh

Post by iainjh » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:59 pm

an Amazon fire tv stick is great value and has a very nice remote. It has iplayer, itv player, channel 4 as well and there's plenty of guides to google to add Kodi etc to it.

A far more friendly solution imho!

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:00 am

Hi Lee,

We have used Kodi and previously XBMC for about 7 years now (starting with the Dharma release I think).

We're currently using the OpenElec distribution on a Pi 2 screwed to the back of the telly.

There is a wireless keyboard (almost never used) and a IR remote via an old HP USB IR receiver.

We really only use this as a front-end for video stuff - all our audio needs are met with separate Squeezeboxes (and Jogglers).

More specifically, we use:
- the iPlayer add-on
- the ITVPlayer add-on
- the UKTV add-on
- the EEVBlog add-on
- the YouTube add-on
- the MythTV PVR add-on (with a separate MythTV backend with 1.5TB of disk and various DVB-S2 and DVB-T tuners)

Once set up, this is reasonably easy for others to use.

I'm very happy with how this is running, but admittedly it's a bit fiddly to set up.

The only gap is the lack of catch up for Channel 4/5 (which we had in the past, but is currently broken due to encryption)

Dave
Last edited by hoglet on Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:12 am

Hi Iain,
iainjh wrote:an Amazon fire tv stick is great value and has a very nice remote. It has iplayer, itv player, channel 4 as well and there's plenty of guides to google to add Kodi etc to it.
I hadn't appreciated it was possible to install Kodi on a FireTV and keep all the existing catch-up functionality.

This merits some further investigation.

Are you using this yourself?

Are the catch-up services all available without any subscription?

Dave

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:39 am

I have a Android cyclone x4 box (£40) with Kodi builds on it, myself & kids don't have to go to cinema again, but teachers wonder why they have already seen a film that ain't out yet :lol:
Attachments
15585250_10154398637552730_170891810668896387_o.jpeg
ImageImageImage

JonC

Post by JonC » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:37 pm

I use a similar setup to Dave and it works really well for me.

As mentioned though, it's a fafff to set some of the more fiddly bits up (live tv from a seperate back end for example), but if you just want to stream media from a local HDD or network NAS it works very well indeed, and is small enough to tuck out of the way behind your tv.

There are a plethora off plugins for it, who's usefulness is measured by what you want to do with it.

Jon
Jon

iainjh

Post by iainjh » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:06 pm

hoglet wrote:Hi Iain,

Are you using this yourself?

Are the catch-up services all available without any subscription?

Dave

Hi, I am yes, and yes - within the tv license rules of course. BBC iPlayer and Channel 4 etc are just android (android TV?) apps from the amazon firetv app store, which all apps are supposed to come from. link showing some of the apps:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Fire-TV ... ds=fire+tv

I cant recall where I found it, but sideloaded kodi as you can also point it (in the developer options) to different repositories. I would warn there is clearly lots of dodgy stuff around which I am not interested in; and now I have kodi installed, I dont use it!

but the device is highly capable and very easy to use.

trixster

Post by trixster » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:17 am

I've been using Kodi on the Pi for ages, firstly with a B, then a 2 and now a 3. It's pretty good as far as I'm concerned! A slightly overclocked 3 will even handle 720 and some 1080p h265 stuff if you're interested in that. Once set up they happily just run 24/7 and auto update. Very little maintenance required. Set up can initially be a little confusing but it's not too hard. A 3 is perfectly smooth in responsiveness even if you install a complicated skin.

Similarly Retropie runs great - a 3 and a 2 work really well for quite a lot of emulators.
A3020 | A3000 | A420/1 | BBC B | Master Turbo | ZX48K | NeoGeo
Atom | Amiga A4000 | A3000 | A1200 | A500 | PC Engine | Enterprise
Falcon | Saturn | PS1 | SNES | CPC6128 | C64 | 3DO | MD | Jaguar | X68000 | CD32

JonC

Post by JonC » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:24 pm

trixster wrote: A slightly overclocked 3 will even handle 720 and some 1080p h265 stuff if you're interested in that.
Never had much luck on my o/c Pi3 with h265 (massive frame lag/drop), usually end up down-converting to h264, which to my eyes is just as good! :mrgreen:
Jon

trixster

Post by trixster » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:24 pm

I'd say image-wise there's nothing in it between a decent bit-rate h264 and a h265 - I believe the h265 is just more efficient, not better, but could well be wrong about this.

My 3 runs with a 1350mhz core and 600mhz sdram plus some quite specific boosts in voltage for core and ram. So it's not a trivial thing to set up, but it does allows for practically all 720p and most low/med 1080p h265 files to play without skipping.

The memory overclock is important for the rpi3 - see the rpi forum and the kodi rpi sub-forum for details.
Falcon | Saturn | PS1 | SNES | CPC6128 | C64 | 3DO | MD | Jaguar | X68000 | CD32

leenew

Post by leenew » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:58 am

Thanks for all these replies.
It seems a bit more complicated than I had hoped :lol:
Maybe there are people out there who sell these things "ready tweaked"?
Anyway, it maybe a moot point as Mrs. leenew has stated categorically that we can't have anything in the house that is probably illegal :oops:
Keep the replies coming though, it does make interesting reading, and I will keep on looking round.
I have a week or two before Virgin cut the cables :lol:

Lee.

trixster

Post by trixster » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:53 pm

Well, only Exodus is "illegal" I guess but there are still plenty of good reasons to set up a kodi 'box' - it can run lots of different legal video plugins plus stream your own content just like a low power media pc that you can hide and leave on all the time.