Post sale regret

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
leenew

Post sale regret

Post by leenew »

Hi,
Does anyone here sell something they don't use, and may never use again.... and then immediately regret it?! #-o
I have just sold my vintage 'scope on eBay to a nice chap who is coming to collect it next week.
I used this to repair many beebs, but just do not have the time for that any more.
I know the buyer will re-cap it, look after it, and, most importantly, use it.... but I feel really bad letting it go now!
It is a massive old thing https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373707857411
But, boy what a beauty! It is a knob-lovers dream! (ooo-err) :mrgreen:

Anyway, does anybody have any similar stories?

Lee.
tricky

Re: Post sale regret

Post by tricky »

Pretty much everything I have ever sold, given away or thrown out. Fortunately I still have most stuff, which is why this removal is going to cost three times as much as the last!
My CRT monitor collection went to a charity who were sending them to Africa around 2008.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

I'm bitterly sorry I sold my aweseome spec A540 back in the early 00's - needed every penny I could find for a mortgage downpayment and this was the point where RISC OS had properly dropped from being a commercial viability (a main income for me) and I was having to get in to Windows programming, so it seemed like the right choice, but ... hohum. At least it's in the museum now :)
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

Not so much sold as given to charity shops - yes, there have been regrets.

On the emotional level I looked at that scope and thought wow! I'd have loved that. Then my brain kicked in and I realised I have nowhere to store it and, like you, I wouldn't use it.

Selling and regretting is something I may encounter in the none too distant future. I have loads of BBC and Archimedes stuff that I don't really use but keep it 'just in case cos you never know'. :?
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
sP1d3r

Post by sP1d3r »

I recently had a similar kind of regret, I had to go to the recycling centre last weekend to try to rescue my 386 +2 more computers which due to some kind of vicissitude had been dumped during the week.

Luckily they weren't chucked in a skip, they were stored in a container which goes to a recycling company and the staff were very helpful and understanding.

I don't know if they still work, they did before they went.

:o :shock: :(
cjr8bs

Post by cjr8bs »

Sooo many things. In the 90s I had so much stuff, I had to sell it so I could keep collecting, there really was nowhere to put it all. http://8bs.com/see8bs.shtml most of the stuff not attributed to people here. The home made Beeb. The Buggy. The Watford Hand Scanner. The Atom. The list is long. In fact there is one thing I constantly regret selling and that's my Suzuki GT 750 on this page http://www.chrisr.co.uk/mcs.htm
I Maintain the 8 Bit Software (8BS) website and have mucked about with Acorn 8 bit machines from the off. Writing software and editing disc based magazines and other stuff like that. I have a personal website too chrisr.co.uk
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Chronologically:

An early 16K Spectrum with light grey keys. I’ve been told this was most likely an issue 2 with an old keyboard as it came in retail packaging not a brown cardboard box.

My BBC Model B with Opus Challenger 3 disc drive and assorted games etc.

A very early Megadrive (with the High Definition writing on it) with a lot of games. Including Shining in the Darkness, Shining and Shining Force 2. All of which now cost a snall fortune.

A PS1 with a bunch of games. Then a Nintendo Gamecube. Then an Xbox… The last few went to charity which makes me feel a bit better.

Actually thats it!

Edit - I (fairly) recently had to sell a very early C64 (orange keys, amazing condition, boxed) and disc drive to finance the purchase of a ZX80. I don’t regret the purchase but could not have afforded it at the time without the selling.
Last edited by Lardo Boffin on Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adventure Language on GitHub
Atom, issue 5, YARRB + video noise killer
Elk
A number of econetted (is that a word?) Beebs
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc, econet, NULA
geraldholdsworth

Post by geraldholdsworth »

I regretted giving my original fully kitted out Electron, BBC B, Master Compact, 4MB A310, and 8MB A440/1 away many years ago.
I managed to then collect a load more, a good few years later, but ended up with somewhere near 60 computers. So I sold the majority of these (to Mark at Retroclinic), which I don't regret as they were all duplicates. However, a few months later, when I needed to get ready to pack up and move to Scotland, I then sold the two BBC B+'s, another Compact, BBC B, A540, and a number of Archimedes machines, again to Mark - this I do regret...well, the Compact anyway. I'm happy in the knowledge, however, that they went off to a good home. In both cases, Mark helped finance my DSLR camera and lens at the time. I did have the sense to keep hold of a Master 512, A3000, RPC700, Atom and Commodore 64, which all came to Scotland with me (which have now been joined by another Master Turbo and an Acorn Electron)...plus a load of peripherals.

Away from computers, as a youngster, I gave away my entire train set and quarter size snooker table (6x3ft)...which I now regret doing.

EDIT: When I moved house in Scotland, I got rid of a few original shape PS1s...which I now regret doing.
RobC

Post by RobC »

Since I got back into them, I don't usually let go of Beeb things unless I've got more than one of them (much to my wife's annoyance :lol: ).

I have sold a few Arcs that I sometimes wish I'd kept. And my parents threw out an A420/1 that was my first big-box Archimedes.

I do really regret getting rid of my Oric Atmos - at the time, I wasn't using it much so let it go. I really wish I'd kept it now as there have been some really good new games written for it. And they are increasingly hard to get hold of :evil: .
Multiwizard

Post by Multiwizard »

Hi,

computerwise, I still regret selling my 1st Atom (the two pics), I bought it in the early 80's & sold it in the early 90's, how dumb was I (very)... :cry:

Furthermore, selling (in the 90's) my 1st guitar, a Ibanez Roadstar 2... :cry: (luckily I found one a few years ago (& there was much joy \:D/ ))

And finally, my Carlsbro guitar ampifier & cabinet, which I'm still looking/searching for... [-o<

Greetings, Wim... :-)
Attachments
My 1st Atom #1.jpg
My 1st Atom #2.jpg
My Ibanez Roadstar 2.jpg
My Carlsbro guitar amplifier & cabinet.JPG
Last edited by Multiwizard on Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
SteveF

Post by SteveF »

When I was a kid I desperately wanted to upgrade to an Archimedes and in the end I wangled a kind of deal with my parents where we'd get one and then sell my old BBC B to help fund the purchase. I felt really, excessively, irrationally bad at losing my old friend and in the end we actually ended up getting hold of another model B with no emotional value and doing a swap with the purchaser of "my" BBC B so I could get it back. I'm sure my parents couldn't understand how I felt about it but I am really grateful to them for humouring me with this, I know it caused them some problems. Of course, after all that it's just buried somewhere in the loft now. If I only had the space I could perhaps fix it up and have it proudly on display or even use it, but because I'm such a terrible hoarder of old electronic crap there simply isn't anywhere to do that.

A few years back I sold my 32016 copro on ebay; I was trying to get some cash together and it was valuable and I never used it. It went for about £400, then the sole bidder started mucking about asking me to send it to a different address than shown on his account and (IIRC; it was a while ago) perhaps suggesting alternate payment mechanisms. Idiot that I am, I started to feel like *I* was being unhelpful and uncooperative but I didn't want him running off with the copro and keeping the money so I ended up getting the sale cancelled. It's still sitting in polystyrene somewhere under my desk, completely unused and unloved (well, not actively loved, anyway :-) ) but I'm kind of glad I still have it. I keep thinking I should maybe try to sell it again, but I'm just terrible at getting rid of stuff and I haven't yet.

(The 32016 was something I acquired from Micro Mart or uk.computers.forsale back in the late 90s. I already had an A5000 at that point and was frankly deeply disappointed with the 32016 when I got it, so it doesn't have the same nostalgic quality as the computers I've spent a lot of time using over the years. Still, it would be a wrench to sell it again, if only because I'd feel I'd never be able to get hold of another one if for some never-actually-going-to-happen reason I decided I wanted one.)

Edited to add: A bit more recently I gave away a barely-borderline-usable PC - some sort of AMD Duron IIRC - on freecycle and spent quite a while setting it up with a lightweight Linux distribution in case some lonely person wanted to play Patience on it or something. I had a lovely but totally outdated and unfashionable Sony Trinitron 17" monitor lying around which I put with it so it was a complete system. In the end some slightly shifty bloke came and took it, didn't seem too bothered about the monitor but said "yeah, I'll take it" when I asked if he wanted it. A few days later I walked past a house round the corner and there was the exact same model of monitor sitting outside the front of the house waiting to be thrown out. Maybe it wasn't mine, but I suspect it was. Didn't really regret giving the PC away even then - it was a beige box which I hadn't used all that much myself - but I was a bit hacked off about the monitor, even though I had really just wanted shot of it.
Ronin47

Post by Ronin47 »

My SGI Indy and Mac LC475, but probably the worst thing I did was get rid of my Atari 800XL with disk drive and a huge collection of software.
a1exh

Post by a1exh »

I've never sold anything yet. But I have a lot of regrets about NOT buying things. My house has been "full" for many years so I don't buy anywhere near as much as I used to in the late 90s early 00s. There was a time in 1998 I was in London with a friend who was buying an Atari Lynx MK2 the classic computer shop had a room full of Acorn computers BBCB and A3000s from London schools piled to the ceiling selling for something incredibly low like £50 each (might have been £10 each). I came on the tube and thought about buying one but thought nah I can't carry that with me on the Tube
Principal ASIC Engineer
RetroGeek
Acorn Electron + A5000
http://thalion.atari.org
cjr8bs

Post by cjr8bs »

geraldholdsworth wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:12 pm
EDIT: When I moved house in Scotland, I got rid of a few original shape PS1s...which I now regret doing.
I'd let you have one of mine but I would probably regret it :lol:
I Maintain the 8 Bit Software (8BS) website and have mucked about with Acorn 8 bit machines from the off. Writing software and editing disc based magazines and other stuff like that. I have a personal website too chrisr.co.uk
roland

Post by roland »

I still regret that I loaned out my very first XT computer and never received it back. It had a 5.25" and a 3.5" disc drive and a 10MB hard drive (which was doubled with Stacker software). The hi-res Hercules board looked marvellous on its paper white monitor. I learned a bit of Pascal and C on it and lots of 8088 assembly code. I developed my Atom-in-PC board on this computer. When I got a 286 and later a 486 a loaned it out to a beautiful girl (actually my brother's girl friend) and after she didn't need it any more she had thrown it away :(

Just before I joined these forums I had an Archimedes with a broken hard drive. I couldn't get a replacement drive so I gave the computer away. And about a month later I regretted that as I saw on StarDot that there are several solutions for replacing a hard disk.

In the past years I sold a lot of Atoms and Electrons to StarDot members and as long as they enjoy them I don't regret that :D
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes »

I had an A440/1 with an IFEL 36MHz ARM3 upgrade. A few years after I went off to university, I let my Mum sell it.

I regret that massively because it was the machine I used for many of my teenage years, and I had many happy memories of watching demos on it.

Also, I'm pretty certain it had a working version of the mythical "Exile for the Archimedes", which was posted on a usenet binaries group at some point, and which I downloaded and got running successfully.

So if anyone out there has an A440/1 that they bought about, ooh, 20 years ago? ... and it's got a 36MHz ARM3 in it ... Can I have it back please? :D
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Regrets? I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention. I blew some up, I broke some down. And more, much more than this, I kept them aaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllll heeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.........
leenew

Post by leenew »

=D>
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

I do genuinely regret giving away my first ever Beeb (a US one) to a younger relative when I upgraded to a Master 128. In those days only one computer was allowed in the house at a time! And loaning an A4 to a school friend 15 years or so ago, and then losing touch with him completely. And taping over the 1984 four-part repeat of "The Five Doctors", which is the only Dr. Who I videoed during the original run.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

I’ve got two major regrets.

The first is that I sold my Acorn Atom for pennies in order to fund the purchase of a new BBC Micro. I still miss it, and weep when I see the crazy prices that tatty Atoms are going for on Ebay these days.

My second regret is that, many years ago, I threw out a pristine Model M keyboard simply because I didn’t have a cable for it. It was one of the highly sought after early editions, and would have fetched several hundred pounds if sold on Ebay today. I wasn’t aware at the time that they were still being made by Unicomp, and that it was fairly easy to get hold of a new cable.

I think the loss of the Model M hurts the most because at least someone was able to make use of the Atom. But I suspect the Atom still eventually ended up in landfill.

I think post throwing out regrets are even worse than post sale regrets.
MrGpG
Location: Wet Wales - East Cardiff as we say in the 'Port. Tidy

Post by MrGpG »

Can I have a "regret on behalf because of my mother......

When I was 18 (1989) I duly went off to University. In my bedrooms was the usual clutter for a 1980's nerd -- but I had:

2 x Mint in Box Space 1999 Eagles
A USS Enterprise Model - (Corgi) in Box
ZX81, Spectrum 16k, Spectrum 128+2 + plus just about all the decent games, joysticks, microdrive....

(My Electron was safe as it ended up in the "shed" measuring the temperature of my Dad's homebrew)

The back catalogue for Black Sabbath and AC/DC on vinyl

I went to University in October.

Came home at Christmas.

All gone -- most given away to people Mum knew. The Space 1999 Eagles actually disposed off.

Not only would this be worth something now, it was my entire childhood.

I think my obsession with retro comes from wanting this stuff back.

;-(

Glen
geraldholdsworth

Post by geraldholdsworth »

MrGpG wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:58 pm
All gone -- most given away to people Mum knew. The Space 1999 Eagles actually disposed off.

That's harsh...do you still talk to your Mother?
leenew

Post by leenew »

MrGpG wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:58 pm
Can I have a "regret on behalf because of my mother......

When I was 18 (1989) I duly went off to University. In my bedrooms was the usual clutter for a 1980's nerd -- but I had:

2 x Mint in Box Space 1999 Eagles
A USS Enterprise Model - (Corgi) in Box
ZX81, Spectrum 16k, Spectrum 128+2 + plus just about all the decent games, joysticks, microdrive....

(My Electron was safe as it ended up in the "shed" measuring the temperature of my Dad's homebrew)

The back catalogue for Black Sabbath and AC/DC on vinyl

I went to University in October.

Came home at Christmas.

I think my obsession with retro comes from wanting this stuff back.

;-(

Glen
Woah! That's a tough one 😳

Lee
trixster

Post by trixster »

VectorEyes wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:42 pm
Also, I'm pretty certain it had a working version of the mythical "Exile for the Archimedes", which was posted on a usenet binaries group at some point, and which I downloaded and got running successfully.
Wait…. What? Can you shed some more light on this? There was an actual working Exile for the Arc?!

I thought it never really got off the ground?
viewtopic.php?p=249225#p249225

Return to “off-topic”