Windows 10 File Permissions Problem

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
BeebMaster

Windows 10 File Permissions Problem

Post by BeebMaster »

On my mother's laptopamabob with Win10, she can't save any documents any longer. Trying to save a newly-created Word document results in an error saying it cannot be saved because of a file permissions problem. Any existing document is opened read-only. Directly creating a file somewhere on the C drive (usually in the user's Documents) with a right-click operation creates the file with read-only permission. Any location in C drive shows the access permissions are read-only with the box filled with a square rather than a tick. Unticking/unsquaring it seems to work, but it is read-only again next time you check.

I've tried various solutions online including making sure the updates are up to date, virus checking, and several things involving editing the ownership in the Security tab of properties for the C Drive. Doing that results in multiple errors during the process of the kind "unable to enumerate folder..." so holding down ALT-C to skip them all for 20 minutes is the way to finish it. But that doesn't work either, the problem still exists.

Reading about it shows that this seems to be a fairly common problem after a Win10 upgrade (although I don't believe the upgrade has happened all that recently necessarily - any way to tell?) and whereas all the solutions I've read about have helped the original enquirer, they don't work for me!

Is there a way to solve this, preferably without a full wipe and re-install?
IanJeffray

Re: Windows 10 File Permissions Problem

Post by IanJeffray »

What you need to do is "Take Owernship" of the folder. It's a tortuous procedure.
1) Right-click on the folder and select "Properties"
2) Select the "Security" tab.
3) Click "Advanced"
4) At the top of the advanced window there's a field which says "Owner" - irrespective of what it currently says, click the "Change" text beside it.
5) Click "Advanced" in the next dialog
6) Click "Find Now"
7) A list of users should be populated in the "Search results" view. You'll probably need to expand the left hand column to see the namas properly (!) but scroll down until you find the user you want to have ownership, select it and click "OK"
8 ) Did you skip step 7 because you thought you could just enter the username in the "Select user" field? No? Good (You HAVE to select it from the list for this to work properly)
9) Click "OK"
10) Click "OK"
11) Click the option field "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects"
12) Click "OK"
13) Click "OK" (!)

Phew.

After doing this, you may need to log off and on again to ensure apps 'see' the new permissions.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Thank you. That's more or less the solution I'd tried previously, except that steps 5-7 had been contracted ("sequences shortened?") so I probably was doing that bit wrong.

Anyhow, the torture continues as it didn't work. First I did the whole C: drive, because that's what the previous thing I was following said to do, then after that didn't work, I did it again just with C:/Users. The user I am using is the only user created on the computer (although there are millions of users when clicking find).

The only difference now is that new files are no longer marked as read-only when looking at their properties. But, start a new doc in Word, save it, close it, open it again and it's read-only and can't be saved, can only be saved-as.

Same with Notepad, and same with doing a right-click create new operation within the destination directory - subsequently opening it has it as read-only in the application.

Makes me glad of the simplicity of *PRIV and *ACCESS !

Other thing is that every reboot gives the option Update and shut down/Update and restart, even though no update appears to occur (I did about 20 updates yesterday to try to stop it saying that).
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

I should perhaps add that saving and loading from an SD card inserted does work as expected, no read-only or permissions problems.

There is also a "One Drive" save location available which also appears to work, but I'm not clear where that actually is. Is it part of the C Drive or is it up there where the air is clear? (Icon seems to be a 1980s BBC Weather raincloud).
geraldholdsworth

Post by geraldholdsworth »

BeebMaster wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:26 pm
There is also a "One Drive" save location available which also appears to work, but I'm not clear where that actually is. Is it part of the C Drive or is it up there where the air is clear? (Icon seems to be a 1980s BBC Weather raincloud).
It should be in your Users directory, unless you've specified somewhere else during the install/setup.
sP1d3r

Post by sP1d3r »

Re: The update problem, when the update and restart option is selected, the computer should install 30% and then restart, install up to 100% and boot into the desktop.

Then, once the update is recognised as installed the update and shutdown/restart option should disappear, look in installed updates which is on the Windows update page, to ensure that the update is installed. This may take some time to occur.

Re: the file permissions problem, try opening Word and creating the document as administrator.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

It seems to have sorted out its update cycle, but a new disaster has occurred today. Now the log on screen asks for a PIN instead of a password, and there is no PIN, and no way to change back to a password. I've tried several things suggested online, including entering A1B2C3 into the PIN box but that doesn't work either. So the computer is now completely unusable as the user can't log in.

I really fail to understand this OS, glad I moved away from it in 2008! Why are people using it?
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Right. It's fixed, of a fashion. I missed the exciting bit, I was just setting up the apparatus so I could boil my head. When I went back there was a screen on the laptop asking to send a verification e-mail to reset the computer's PIN. Apparently clicking on forgotten PIN brought this up, whereas trying that multiple times previously just went back to the enter PIN box. If it wasn't my new year's resolution not to complain about anything any more, I would be writing to my M.P. requesting the immediate set up of OfGates to regulate these bunch of <insert own word of choosing>.
sP1d3r

Post by sP1d3r »

Depending upon how long you've had the laptop, you might be able to speed up registry processes by running a registry cleaner, such as the free CCleaner from ccleaner.com.

Other 'cleaning' operations can be done by Windows, but the registry cleaner can't AFAIK.
Careful installing as bundled programs will be installed unless refused, usually.

The registry cleaner selects from LHS menu, scan and delete ticked issues, there's probably a lot of them.

I hope of help.

:)

Return to “off-topic”