3D printing advice

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
Elminster

Re: 3D printing advice

Post by Elminster »

Fans are loud though. It kicking out around 59dB printing. My custom Huxley is only around 47dB, I did put quiet fans on that but it still wasn’t as loud as the CR6 before that. So I will swap out the fans for quieter ones as I did on my other printer. Other than that will leave it stick for now until things become an issue.
jonb

Post by jonb »

Elminster, check under the four bed clips for the Kapton tape fix (extra insulation that prevents a short between 24v and ground if the heater element's lacquer wears off under one of the clips). That's the vital fix to prevent USB devices getting toasted when connected. I put Kapton on the bed and clip for double protection.

So far my mod list comprisies of:-
  • Kapton tape fix as above (precautionary)
  • Power switch replacement (precautionary)
  • Noctua PSU fan and cover
  • Noctua Main board fan with buck converter for 12v and cover
  • Filament guide that fits beween the runout sensor and extruder. Makes it easier to load filament.
  • Cover for the Z sensor on the left hand upright (cosmetic)
  • V-slot covers (cosmetic)
  • Print head cable supports
I haven't even bothered to fit the Capricorn Bowden tube or do the "Luke's hot end fix" as it has been printing PLA really well so far. I'm still on my first nozzle, too. I have the same board as you (4.5.2 I think).
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

You can get pretty quiet 24v fans so I dont bother with bucks on huxley, still got it down to 47dB. Not as quiet as noctua’s, pity , I think on Huxley I bought about 10 diffferent brands and models of 24v fan to test, and swapped 30mm to 40mm, just can’t buy a quiet 30mm at 24v I tried on Huxley.. Sometimes the quietest ones on paper aren’t any good as they make annoying sound. If only noctua did 24v fans and in more sizes. So it will be a 40mm on CR6 hotend. But eventually they are both going in garage in side enclosures. So noise no as much of an issue then.

I remember something about kapton. No didn’t check, will have a sort when I swap out fans.

Edit: Don’t think I mention above i did alter the earthing to earth the chassis. No point having RCD if not earthed.
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

I wonder if that 24v issue won’t be an issue, (well it could be an issue but without the same consequences) because I grounded the frame.

The issue appears to be because the chassis and the motherboard are separately grounded. So if live touches the frame it doesn’t trip anything. But because the usb is ground to the chassis it provides a path. (If I read he issue correctly). But as I added extra ground strapping to my printer chassis my chassis is not floating.

Edit: but of course we aren’t talking about the earth mains touching the chassis. So that isn’t going to help. But pretty easy to check.

I think I missed this fix, had in my head the blowing up pc issue related to 5v usb issue, but they were different.

https://storage.3dprintingspace.com/ori ... 9b2c3.jpeg
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

KayBur wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:55 pm
Thanks for the detailed answer. It was very interesting to know how it all works for you.
I should mention all the issue mentioned above were on Kickstarter machines and are fixed with current production machines (well probably not the noisy fans, but that is subjective anyway).

Return to “off-topic”