Buy/Sell area - Furious

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
paulj

Buy/Sell area - Furious

Post by paulj » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:59 am

I am absolutley furious about the treatment I have had on here in the buy sell area, with an admin chiming in on a thread thinking I am a dealer and will be reselling kit. I am a collector, have been for over ten years, and have not sold any of my collection (with the exception of one or two small pieces in my collection of over hundreds of item which I carefully store and use for my personal projects). I am extremely offended by it. I also feel some of my communications have been blocked for similiar reasons, as I mentioned in buy sell threads. I am absolutely furious about this. The mehtods used to administer on here have caused me great prejudice :!: :!:

paulj

Re: Buy/Sell area - Furious

Post by paulj » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:06 am

I need to discuss this with the admins, but can't find any way to do that. I feel I have been the victim of prejudice by administrative procedures on here. So A I want to clear my name, B I do want to continue on this form, but without the messing around I have had. Judging me to be a dealer when I am the opposite

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:46 am

Use the 'Envelope' Contact us at the bottom of every page to contact admin . . . Hope you get it sorted!

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

danielj

Post by danielj » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:21 am

We can be contacted by PM as usual. We don't tend to reply at 2am. Apologies.

I should say, for the record, that no one was ever specifically accused of being a reseller.

I've addressed this in the thread, and by PM, but will also address it here. I'll leave the thread open for other moderators/admins to comment if they wish, but it's not for getting into a discussion.

We don't block PMs unless we've had complaints, we can't see who's talking to who.

We allow buy/sell posts, these are at everyone's own risk as per the rules. We do keep a vague eye on things and when people start protesting that something isn't fair we often look a bit closer.

The upshot of that is it's also incumbent on forum users to think about how they might be coming across. We are generally suspicious of anyone whose only real interactions with the forum are just leaping into sales threads and saying they want to buy/acquire things. We do our best, this isn't a full time job, we are just human, not judge and/or jury. Sometimes we don't go about things in an ideal fashion, and sometimes get it wrong. I apologise for that.

If someone's sole interactions with the forum are around acquiring kit then we are generally not going to be particularly sympathetic to the cause if, on occasion, they miss out on something and complain that it's not fair. In these situations you might find yourself at the end of an exasperated admin who got it slightly wrong. No one has any right to anything that's offered on here, it's up to the seller.

Richard Russell

Post by Richard Russell » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:47 am

danielj wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:21 am
it's also incumbent on forum users to think about how they might be coming across.
I'm afraid that is, in effect, excluding from the forum anybody on the 'autistic spectrum', who often find that difficult or impossible.

danielj

Post by danielj » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:53 am

Richard Russell wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:47 am
danielj wrote:
it's also incumbent on forum users to think about how they might be coming across.
I'm afraid that is, in effect, excluding from the forum anybody on the 'autistic spectrum', who often find that difficult or impossible.
c.f. comment about not wishing to get into discussions here. No one is being excluded. The point is that it takes two to tango and we attempt to be as aware of possible of things like this, but disability or no, people are responsible for what they post.

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:02 pm

The following is general advice and information. The particulars of individual cases will be handed via private messages.

On the subject of private messages (PMs) on the forum, we don’t block these. They are private between the respective members. The moderators and administrators will only get involved if required in investigating a formal complaint.

If you are interested in buying something that has been advertised in the trading area of the forum, I strongly recommend you reply in the relevant thread AND send a PM to the seller.

No all members set-up an email alert, so they may not get an email notification and therefore may not get your message unless they log into the forum.

New members are able to receive PMs, but are not allowed to reply or send PMs until either they have made 25 public posts in the forums, or have asked for and been granted these facilities by the administration team.

When a member sends a PM, it will stay in the senders out box until the person receives the PM by opening it. Only then will it move from the senders out box to their sent box.

The trading section is provided for the forum members to trade amongst themselves. The moderators and administrators don’t normally monitor or interfere with transactions unless a problem or complaint arises (unless we can see a breach of the forum rules). As we have no means of knowing (other than what members publicly post) any of the transaction details.

Sellers should make any conditions clear. It is up to the seller, who he/she trades with. Generally speaking, if the buyer meets any conditions, it’s first come first served.

If a seller decides not to sell to another member, or ignores PMs from a member, there is not much we can do until and unless we are made aware of the problem. If the item that is being traded has already been sold, then legally a contract has been made between the seller and the buyer and we cannot interfere with this.

We want the forum to be a friendly place. If you are not happy with the limitations of trading via the forum, you are free to use a commercial trading site.

Mark

Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:06 pm

danielj wrote:
I'll leave the thread open for other moderators/admins to comment if they wish
Just to reiterate what Daniel has said: mods and admins cannot interfere with Private Messages! Remember new users can't automatically reply to PMs until they have made a certain number of posts, so if a prospective buyer hasn't heard back from a seller; if the seller is still in the 'newly registered' forum classification that may well be the issue (mods can always intervene here if they deem it necessary - use the Contact Us link at the bottom of each page).

Furthermore, a user is currently entitled to advertise items on multiple outlets (Stardot, Facebook etc) and can elect to finalise a deal with a buyer of their choosing on any platform.

We should probably assess whether there is any need to update or clarify the forum trading guidelines as well as the information contained within the 'stickied' posts inside the Sales/Wanted forums (mods I'll drop a message in the private forum later ...). Edit: I think Mark's recommendations above cover just above everything, so we'll look at amalgamating them into the existing sticky. Thanks Mark!

With regards to the OP's complaint, having seen the original messages I can confirm that Daniel didn't directly accuse Paul of reselling items and if I'm honest, I think Daniel was being very generous by even offering an apology.

The tone of the OP's public communications with other members and admins certainly isn't appreciated, neither was the succession of (4!) angry PMs to an administrator in the early hours. I've temporarily deactivated Paul's account for a week-or-so to enable him to cool down - Paul, if you're reading I'll email you back after the ABug event W/C Jan 27th regarding reinstatement should you still wish to continue on the forum. Dave.
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk