Faulty car radio

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
KenLowe

Faulty car radio

Post by KenLowe » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:25 am

I've got a faulty after market AVIC-EVO1-PL2-VAL Pioneer car radio, and I think I've narrowed the fault down to the canbus interface unit that picks up various signals from the bus, and outputs them as hard wired signals to the radio (accessory switch, light switch, reverse, speed pick up etc). The radio, canbus interface (Connects2) and associated wiring harness was supplied by Pioneer reseller (in mainland Europe) as a complete package for my VW Polo. Pioneer UK are being a bit difficult about it, since the Canbus unit not a Pioneer manufactured part. Connects2 don't offer this unit to the general public, but I am in discussions with them at present, and they're certainly being more helpful at this stage (asking me to check some basic stuff that I've already checked), but I'm still not sure where that's going to end. The whole thing is just out of warranty which is making things a bit more difficult.

Anyway, to the questions. What is the odd 13 pin connector at the back of the Connects2 unit? There's an equivalent connector on the back of the Pioneer unit with a cable to connect between the two. I've opened up the Connects2 and notice there's an IC (Chrontel 7026B) that the datasheet refers to as being a TV/VGA Encoder. I'm therefore guessing the 13 pin connector provides some form of VGA output to the head unit to allow car specific information to be displayed on the head unit? Is this a standard connector? I was struggling to find any information about it on the net.

Any thoughts???
Attachments
20190706_095606.jpg
Connector at back of Connects2
20190706_100906.jpg
Inside the Connects2

1024MAK

Re: Faulty car radio

Post by 1024MAK » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:15 pm

I’ve been “playing” with electronics since 1986, although I’ve not had anything to do with car audio during the last 20 years other than installing replacement CD/radio units in members of the family’s cars.

I’ve never seen a connector like that before.

Mark

topcat96

Post by topcat96 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:11 pm

That looks like a 13 pin Quadlock connector socket. Developed way back when for the car industry to consolidate and reduce the car's wiring harness by having a single unit for all sensor inputs, which in turn sent the information to the display (as you have surmised already). These days I believe they are all 16 pin sockets because of extra sensors, Apple, etc. ... Definitely not an of-the-shelf component I'm afraid, so no wonder Pioneer are being a bit wary in dealing with you.

Other than that, that's where my knowledge on such things end I'm afraid.
Last edited by topcat96 on Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:43 pm

Oh. That's interesting. I always thought the quadlock connector was the much larger square connector that takes the power, speaker and various other signals from the car to the radio. This odd 13 pin connector runs between the Connects2 Canbus interface and the head unit. A wider quadlock search still doesn't bring up any useful results.

Thanks, both for the info.

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:03 am

How do you get a radio out of the dashboard? I have tried to use a pallet knife at the sides.

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:27 pm

Depends on the type of clips that hold it in. There are a number of types of special tools.
One type is two U shaped pieces of 3 to 4mm diameter metal rods with tapered ends.
Another type is a pair of two flat pieces of thin metal with shaped ends.

Use a search engine “car radio extraction tool” to see what I mean.

These tools unclip the radio/head unit if inserted correctly. The clips are rather hard to disengage otherwise.

Mark

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:48 pm

Fraser wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:03 am
How do you get a radio out of the dashboard? I have tried to use a pallet knife at the sides.
Sorry for the delay in responding. Only just noticed this post. If you're asking specifically about the VW Polo Radio, the head unit / screen is removed by firstly unclipping the plastic surround, which then reveals 4 star headed screws. Then, remove these screws, and the screen comes away. The main radio unit is located in the glove box, and glove box needs to be removed to gain access to the wiring harness. The radio is removed from the glove box using the flat metal tools that Mark mentions in the previous post. These can be picked up quite cheaply off ebay.

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:21 am

Thought I'd come back to close out this thread.

Connects2 turned out to be extremely helpful. After initially pushing me back towards Pioneer UK, they eventually offered to look at my original Canbus unit to see if they could repair it. I sent it off to them, and they sent it back repaired a couple of weeks later. They did not charge for this work. Unfortunately, after a short period of time, it failed again. I suspect a bad solder joint on a SMD component somewhere, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I got back in touch with them, and after some further correspondence I was advised that they would try to source a replacement for me (it's not a unit they sell to the general public). A couple of weeks later a a package arrived with not just one, but two replacement units. Again, they did not charge for this. Super impressed with their service!

I did have a bit of an issue with the replacement Canbus unit(s) initially. When interrogating via the Pioneer radio head unit, I noticed the firmware version on the Canbus unit was old, so tried to update it to the latest via the radio interface. However, the upgrade button on the radio was greyed out, preventing me from upgrading it. I thought it was an issue with the USB stick initially. I then noticed that some other radio functions were not operating correctly and eventually realised the radio was not recognising that the handbrake had been applied. The firmware function is disabled if the handbrake is not on. The handbrake signal is hardwired from the Canbus unit to the back of the radio, so I disconnected the hardwired signal between the Canbus unit and the radio, and connected the handbrake signal on the radio direct to a 12v supply (I think; or possibly ground - I can't remember which!). When I did this, the firmware upgrade button (and the other functions) became active. This allowed me to download the latest firmware to the Canbus unit, which in turn made the handbrake signal active from the Canbus unit! Perfect! I then upgraded the firmware on the second Canbus unit, so it should just be a drop in replacement, should I ever need it in the future.

Pioneer, on the other hand... I really struggled with them. Whilst in discussion with Connects2, Pioneer did eventually come back to me with the Canbus unit part number, which then allowed me to contact a local Pioneer dealer to place an order for a replacement. The dealer said they would come back to me with a price. Weeks later, and I'm still waiting. I also went to a second dealer, and likewise still waiting for them to come back to me with a price. Anyway, I no longer need the part from Pioneer now that I have a replacement from the OEM. Really not been overly impressed with Pioneer after sales support.