Where do you get your retrocomputing fix?

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
BigEd

Re: Where do you get your retrocomputing fix?

Post by BigEd » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:47 pm

jonb wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:38 pm
... my interest is distinctly Z80. Yet despite this, I check on new posts every day without fail. That tells you something about the StarDot community.
That's great! It's the flip side of what was said in the other thread (thanks Mark for the pointer), that some communities seem quite difficult to belong to.

VincentVega

Re: Where do you get your retrocomputing fix?

Post by VincentVega » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:48 pm

Mainly this site. People aren't just knowledgable about Acorn stuff, they're familiar with other makes as well, and they are always very friendly, helpful (even for someone as, err, uneducated, as I am) and some of the hardware and software you all come up with is superb. I don't think I've bought any retro hardware or software from anyone from here, opened the package and thought "that looks rubbish" - often it looks better than the computer I'm using it with.

A big issue for me is that none of the other retro computers I have mean as much to me as Acorn machines do. I grew up with them, so they'll always be special. It's nice to revisit the past, and to be able to buy things I could never have afforded in the day, or things to replace those that got thrown out or broken. (I still curse myself for throwing out the best part of two decades' worth of Acorn User, A&B Computing, Electron User and Micro User.)
Last edited by VincentVega on Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.