Where do you get your retrocomputing fix?

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
BigEd

Re: Where do you get your retrocomputing fix?

Post by BigEd » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:47 pm

jonb wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:38 pm
... my interest is distinctly Z80. Yet despite this, I check on new posts every day without fail. That tells you something about the StarDot community.
That's great! It's the flip side of what was said in the other thread (thanks Mark for the pointer), that some communities seem quite difficult to belong to.

VincentVega

Post by VincentVega » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:48 pm

Mainly this site. People aren't just knowledgable about Acorn stuff, they're familiar with other makes as well, and they are always very friendly, helpful (even for someone as, err, uneducated, as I am) and some of the hardware and software you all come up with is superb. I don't think I've bought any retro hardware or software from anyone from here, opened the package and thought "that looks rubbish" - often it looks better than the computer I'm using it with.

A big issue for me is that none of the other retro computers I have mean as much to me as Acorn machines do. I grew up with them, so they'll always be special. It's nice to revisit the past, and to be able to buy things I could never have afforded in the day, or things to replace those that got thrown out or broken. (I still curse myself for throwing out the best part of two decades' worth of Acorn User, A&B Computing, Electron User and Micro User.)
Last edited by VincentVega on Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:37 pm

BTW, thanks everyone for your thoughts. I'd been thinking very much about "where online do you get..." but of course "where in the real world..." is also a good question.

In the real world, I'm lucky to live in day-trip distance of both hoglet and revaldinho and so we manage mini-meetups relatively often. As is well known, Dave is very productive indeed, and always interested in new projects, so we always have something to investigate, make, or fix.

Also there's the odd road trip to computer museums, near and far: Swindon, Bletchley, Cambridge, Leicester, Manchester, and indeed Fimber.

As well as the stardot meetups, of course, which I can sometimes get to: Cambridge, Camberley, Leicester, so far.

And, once, and perhaps in future too, RISC OS events - there's to be one in Bristol which I will try to get to.

And from time to time, radio rallies, where there's sometimes something computational to buy, and often there's lab equipment. Dave seems especially good at finding extreme bargains. My main achievement on this front was failing to buy an HP-25, which has served as a lesson: not to let opportunity slip away.

As for life online, I'm here, I'm on 6502.org, and I'm looking into two other social offerings: diaspora, and mastodon.

Commie_User

Post by Commie_User » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:13 pm

CSDB, Lemon 64, the retrocomputing Archive and the huge library on Youtube. LGR, 8-Bit Guy, Top-Hat Gaming Man, Gaming Historian, Retromancave and many others keep the past alive with active setups.

Plus my own house, where I live: http://www.remix64.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7135

And that's just my Commodore spares as they stood then. I've put a hell of a lot online (even more of just some: http://www.remix64.com/board/viewtopic. ... 792#p84792 ) and I wonder just how much of anybody's uploads go mostly unseen over the years now.

No, honestly, what about your own houses? If you've amassed enough in books, disks, spares and other materials, how much do you become a resource in your own right? Once or twice, I know I've been the only place I've found for the research to help somebody else or put a package online.

A few quick snaps:
Attachments
SAM_1070.JPG
SAM_1066.JPG
SAM_1065.JPG

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:36 pm

As soon as I win the lottery I shall be creating a giant museum/lab in my garden, give up work and spend all my time in there ......

guddler

Post by guddler » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:02 pm

For real-world retro fixes I'm alone in that I don't know anyone locally who's into the old stuff (sure, there probably ARE people, but I don't know them) so sadly, it's limited to me, myself and I, up in my shed :D

Back around 2009 / 2010 I used to go to events but nothing really since then.