Master Games

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

leenew

Master Games

Post by leenew » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:31 pm

Hey!
Now I have a shiny Master 128, I was wondering if there is a list of games available that show which Games were improved for the Master, or play differently on a Master, or... Were There any games that were Master only?
Thanks,
Lee.

danielj

Re: Master Games

Post by danielj » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:41 pm

Elite, Stryker's Run. I know repton 3 bunged the editor in RAM so you could flip between the two...

There aren't any others that I can think of directly :?

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:08 pm

I believe Crazee Rider was also enhanced, maybe some of the 4th Dimension titles (Holed Out!, E-Type) but not sure about those.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

MatthewThompson

Post by MatthewThompson » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:20 pm

From memory I think it was only Superior Software releases that had Master enhanced versions, both Crazee Rider & Strykers Run definitely had Master enhanced versions, Repton 3 loaded both game and editor together and you could flip between the two by pressing a key.

I have a feeling that Exile might have had extra bits, and also Elite plus also Repton Infinity, other than that I think games were just Master compatible rather than Master enhanced, shame really.

Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:27 pm

Vertigo and By Fair Means or Foul had enhanced Master versions.

See also:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5081
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

leenew

Post by leenew » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:08 pm

Wow! It's a real shame the master wasn't utilised more.
4 times as much memory as a beeb completely unused apart from the odd tune or animation :roll:
So apart from the ones mentioned, it seems there were no original games at all for the Master :(
Maybe these games would make a couple more "Alternative" discs for Mick Brown to knock together? ...
Lee.

paulb

Post by paulb » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:57 pm

leenew wrote:Wow! It's a real shame the master wasn't utilised more.
4 times as much memory as a beeb completely unused apart from the odd tune or animation :roll:
So apart from the ones mentioned, it seems there were no original games at all for the Master :(
Maybe these games would make a couple more "Alternative" discs for Mick Brown to knock together? ...
Lee.
I seem to remember some kind of "megagame" (no, not the Solidisk EFS ones) advertised very late in the commercial lifespan of the 8-bit machines that utilised lots of sideways RAM (as far as I remember), but the details escape me. Perhaps late issues of Electron User or Micro User would yield the part-page advert in question. It wasn't a well-known publisher who was advertising it, and I'm guessing it was some kind of arcade adventure.

leenew

Post by leenew » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:36 pm

Collating everything from this thread and the one that Arcadian refers to:

We have games that were enhanced for the Master

By Fair Means Or Foul
Crazee Rider
E-Type - maybe
Elite
Exile
FireTrack
Holed Out
Level 9 Adventures: (Lords of Time, Red Moon, Price of Magik, Scapeghost, Ingrid's Back)
Repton 3
Repton Infinity
Stryker's Run
Stryker's Run part 2
Vertigo

Games specifically and originally written for the Master

- none -

Any more?

Lee.

EDIT: It seems Level 9 may have produced Master versions of their adventure games in the "Time and Magic" series with added graphics.
Do we have these archived?? EDIT of EDIT :D (updated the list above)
Last edited by leenew on Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

leenew

Post by leenew » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:17 pm

Thanks for that Bill, it works both in normal beeb mode (text only), and yes indeedy, you get pictures in master mode.....

Cheers,
Lee.

Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:07 am

Level 9's Scapeghost and Ingrid's Back also have graphical, Master Enhanced versions IIRC.
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

leenew

Post by leenew » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:52 am

^^ Correct.
Same as the "Time and Magic" ones.
They play fine on a model B but you get piccies in Master mode...

To be honest, they play better as text only, the pictures really get in the way in my opinion! so not much of an "enhancement" :roll:
I think Level 9 and others jumped on the graphics bandwagon started by The Hobbit but most text adventures were better as..., well..., text! :D

Lee.

**UPDATED THE LIST ABOVE...**

danielj

Post by danielj » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:05 am

Holed out definitely lets you load the extra courses into memory on the Master instead of having to load them from floppy.

d.

timmy

Post by timmy » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:52 am

I guess the Master games market was never big enough to justify the time & effort in offering nothing more than a few 'enhanced' versions.

leenew

Post by leenew » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:16 am

I guess you are right Timmy.
I am still intrigued by this "super game"...
Could it be "Blade Dancer"? Which is still MIA
Lee.

paulb

Post by paulb » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:16 pm

leenew wrote:I am still intrigued by this "super game"...
Could it be "Blade Dancer"? Which is still MIA
I had a quick look at the Electron User archives, but there wasn't anything obvious in the index of advertisements for any of the later issues. That would be understandable for a game using sideways RAM and probably Beeb-specific hardware.

However, a quick perusal of the Micro User thumbnails yielded nothing of interest, either. Maybe a closer look would produce the advert, which I seem to recall was only half a page at most, and maybe it was only in Acorn User or A&B Computing, although I seem to remember seeing it more than once and possibly in different publications.

davidb

Post by davidb » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:07 pm

I thought of Infinity by White Panther but maybe you're thinking of a different game. I'm thinking of an exploration game which included African wildlife like giraffes, zebras and so on. The graphics were stored in ROM if I remember correctly.

timmy

Post by timmy » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:43 pm

Paulb - probably not, but you're not not thinking of Dr Who and the Mines of Terror...?

But surely a Master-only mega-game would merit a bit more interest than a small-ish ad in 1 or 2 issues?

Rich Talbot-Watkins

Post by Rich Talbot-Watkins » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:26 pm

Explorer by Dragonsoft I guess.

Thread here! http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... ?f=1&t=598

I don't think it was very good though.

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:52 pm

Rich Talbot-Watkins wrote:Explorer by Dragonsoft I guess.
I'd never heard of that before. If we're including anything that requires a ROM and/or SWRAM whilst not specifically Master only then U.I.M should be included.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

paulb

Post by paulb » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:18 pm

davidb wrote:I thought of Infinity by White Panther but maybe you're thinking of a different game.
No, I think that's the one! :)

(Us Electron users have really been spoiled by the STH interface for our games: I can only find Infinity in a directory listing in the BBC games archive, so I can't get an immediate idea of what it looks like. Still, considering that I believed it to be vapourware, you can't beat actual tape and disk images.)
davidb wrote:I'm thinking of an exploration game which included African wildlife like giraffes, zebras and so on. The graphics were stored in ROM if I remember correctly.
I don't remember this one at all. :?

paulb

Post by paulb » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:23 pm

Pernod wrote:
Rich Talbot-Watkins wrote:Explorer by Dragonsoft I guess.
I'd never heard of that before.
The advert does look a bit familiar.
Pernod wrote:If we're including anything that requires a ROM and/or SWRAM whilst not specifically Master only then U.I.M should be included.
I think pretty much all Master games would be aimed at B+ and Beebs with sideways RAM, mostly because the Master 128 doesn't have any significantly distinguishing hardware to make it worth anyone's while to target it specifically (at least for a game). That was perhaps an unfortunate consequence of Acorn focusing on the Archimedes and not incrementally improving their 8-bit machines, although to be fair to Acorn, the last thing they would have wanted was a proliferation of different hardware platforms to support (which is what Commodore managed to achieve in their 8-bit line-up).