Sorry for being a stranger, Star Wars anybody?

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

Pablos544

Sorry for being a stranger, Star Wars anybody?

Post by Pablos544 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:04 am

Happy New Year y'all :D

Just caught this on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpURa8xUF7I

and I thought that might be nice relationship warmer for my Beeb. Did a bit of Googling for it and only found one .ssd, :( one of www.emuparadise.me, http://lu0.nitroroms.com

That emuparadise.me I've found particularly helpful before. I got a Lunar Jetman I'd never seen before working on my beeb from it.

However on this occasion the ssd is tiny, only 7k and contains a single file, STAR on it. When I load that on Mac BeebEm and on a real beeb it doesn't work.

I lie, actually on the Mac BeebEm it outputs TAR -> like that in text mode. That might be it trying to tell you that it's in a .TAR format or something or then it could just be corruption or something.

If anybody's seen it please help this poor man and let him know where he might perhaps chance on such a find. :lol: Very grateful!!

All the best.

jgharston

Re: Sorry for being a stranger, Star Wars anybody?

Post by jgharston » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:29 am

Pablos544 wrote:Did a bit of Googling for it and only found one .ssd, :( one of www.emuparadise.me, http://lu0.nitroroms.com
Those links aren't links. Where's the actual file?

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

Pablos544

Post by Pablos544 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:36 am

jgharston wrote:
Pablos544 wrote:Did a bit of Googling for it and only found one .ssd, :( one of www.emuparadise.me, http://lu0.nitroroms.com
Those links aren't links. Where's the actual file?
No, they are not links you're right :?

I give you the link and the file. You will see it looks a bit sus because it's only ~ 4k long.

http://www.emuparadise.me/Acorn_BBC_Mic ... 9-download

attached the file as well. Thanks a mill :D
Attachments
Star Wars (19xx)(C. Arnold)[STAR start].zip
(3.76 KiB) Downloaded 47 times

Pablos544

Post by Pablos544 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:52 am

I found this one, from way back when I used to collect lots of 8 bit games even before I had my bbc.

I used this site to get loads of excellent quality Amiga games as I was getting into that.

Being also very good for many other computers I thoroughly recommend it. I hope he keeps it open, it's one of the gems of the internet out there.

I found the Star Wars, haven't tried it yet but it looks a bit more real ~ 20k.
http://thegamearchives.net/?val=0_2_1_0 ... 08_0_0_0_0

On a side note, my capacitor went on my power supply. What's the best approach to get this looked at? Should I post a new topic? Any good links on this site? #-o

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:23 am

Pablos544 wrote:On a side note, my capacitor went on my power supply. What's the best approach to get this looked at? Should I post a new topic? Any good links on this site? #-o
Honest, that's never happened (much) before, so there are absolutely no threads about it at all, and BeebMaster has never seen any smoke at all coming out of any of his Beebs :lol: (hint: search the forum or better yet, use a well known search engine (<-- do click) to do a better search of this forum... :wink:

If you do need more information or help, yep, shout out by way of a post in the 8 bit hardware forum 8)

If you’re not handy with a soldering iron, or need to get the new capacitors, contact Mark RetroClinic and he can repair your PSU or sell you spare parts :D. Gosh, two plugs in one day and the sun is barely up :shock:

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

Pablos544

Post by Pablos544 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:33 am

1024MAK wrote: If you do need more information or help, yep, shout out by way of a post in the 8 bit hardware forum 8)

If you’re not handy with a soldering iron, or need to get the new capacitors, contact Mark RetroClinic and he can repair your PSU or sell you spare parts :D. Gosh, two plugs in one day and the sun is barely up :shock:

Mark
Hi Mark. Unfortunately no Mark i have no idea with a soldering iron. Many thanks for the tip. Must be a New Year's thing or something. Things always find a way to go wrong at around New Year's. :( Actually this beeb has been good to me, considering. It actually waited for me to finish playing my game and was actually nearly about to switch her off. I think that she is a good machine, nice to you like that, you know.

Great to know this forum still rocks.

Thanks guys. God bless!!

sydney

Post by sydney » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:43 pm

The ssd has a single BASIC program called STAR which is a simple 3d style star wars themed shooter.

Pablos544

Post by Pablos544 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:51 pm

sydney wrote:The ssd has a single BASIC program called STAR which is a simple 3d style star wars themed shooter.
Oh so it's BASIC doh! :roll: I was trying to run it using *STAR... !!

no wonder it didn't work.

Still doesn't sound like I missed much. :D

I did find a more fuller looking Star Wars, I attach it here again just in case you missed it. It's not just a BASIC program I think...
Attachments
starwars-bbc-micro.zip
(18.03 KiB) Downloaded 50 times

Pablos544

Post by Pablos544 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:51 pm

and.. can confirm that this is actually pretty decent. The Domark version of the game.. awesome!! Also good news about my power supply, found a nice gentleman named Steve Gledhill from Stafford who will take care of it for me. :roll: To me hacking around inside the case to remove a power supply is pushing my limit of achievement, the thought of soldering iron is just about enough to make me pass out :lol: