Turn based games

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

charlie

Turn based games

Post by charlie » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:07 pm

I'm interested in playing some turn based (strategy/tactical) games, anyone got any recommendations?

I don't need chess recommendations (and by extension Lazer Chess, which I have tried). Also can look beyond "Go" and I'm sure there's a connect4 based title that I won't need to try again...

Pernod

Re: Turn based games

Post by Pernod » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:36 pm

Try PowerPlay by Arcana.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

charlie

Post by charlie » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:13 pm

Thanks - I'd never played that before - what a strange game (also, a bit tricky to work out how to play without instructions). Not what I was expecting at all...

SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:33 pm

I used to play a great two player game called Barrage.

You and your partner (foe) play as an army, each with a town nearby. You start with 100 armies and 100 civilians.

Each time you start the game generates a new landscape, and during the game the wind direction and strength changes. You have to enter an angle and delta, and a strength and delta. The program then works out the three shots you will fire, and draws them on the screen. A shot at the enemies base takes away some of their army, a shot at the village takes away some of your civilians. If your civilians reaches zero, you lose. If your opponents army reaches zero you win.

A misdirected shot (for example the wind blows your shot back towards your base) will kill some of your army.

Edit: Oh, and wherever the rounds fall the landscape receives a crater, thereby providing some dynamic changes along the way.

Simple, but quite challenging game that is not fast paced at all.

Another great game is Flip. It is a matching pairs game but what sets it apart from some out there is the great music, animation, puzzle element whereby you have to uncover the 5 letter word behind the tiles, and the interrupt driven flipping of the flip logo.

I am now singing the theme tune in my head...
Just remember kids, Beeb spelled backwards is Beeb!

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:21 pm

Yep, recommend Flip! too.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:04 pm

charlie wrote:I'm interested in playing some turn based (strategy/tactical) games, anyone got any recommendations?
Kingdom? ;)

I've also got several versions of Monopoly.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

charlie

Post by charlie » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:18 pm

Flip is excellent, I especially like the complete disregard to copyright with the use of music.

I've run out of time this evening - have to try the others later in the week now...

Thanks for the suggestions!

SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:54 pm

Ah, yes, Powerplay. The one that starts with the man pushing the letters onto the screen one at a time while the classical music (name escapes me at the moment even though I'm humming it) gets louder and louder.

Interesting concept, graphics a bit garish (but what do we expect?) and overall the questions appear to be quite easy, but still fun. Not sure what the goal is, but I think it has to do with challenging an opponent and the person who gets the question right stays at the level they are already while the opponent gets relegated to a lower level, or removed from the board if they are already at the lowest level.

I would assume the goal is to remove all your opponents off the board.

Takes some guesswork to figure out the controls for moving the gods around the board.
Just remember kids, Beeb spelled backwards is Beeb!

tricky

Post by tricky » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:03 am

I haven't played sentinel for 30ish years, was that turn based?