Repton Infinity games

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

SimonSideburns

Repton Infinity games

Post by SimonSideburns » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:21 pm

Back in the day I wrote some games in Repton Infinity.

Here are some imaged discs with various files on them.

Hopefully they will make some sense to those of you who have used RI before.

If not, just ask here and I'll show you what to do.

Feel free to use the data files for your own games, and if you add any levels to any of the existing games please repost them for all to share.
Attachments
Simon's.zip
Four disc images (some duplicates probably) containing various Repton Infinity games.
(266.93 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
Just remember kids, Beeb spelled backwards is Beeb!

SimonSideburns

Re: Repton Infinity games

Post by SimonSideburns » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:53 am

I was going to post some screen shots of the various games but haven't managed to. I keep hitting a hurdle. I use Beebem, and when I load my Repton Infinity disk (BBC Model B/standard version) I get 'not found' when I try to load game files.

It doesn't seem to matter what 'drive' I insert the data disc in to, because even when the right disc is in the 'data file drive' the program cannot load the games. It doesn't even try to read the disc (in as much as I do not hear the sound that Beebem creates when accessing the disc).

I also have a disc image of the Master version, so I will try that if I get the chance.

Has anyone else noticed this problem? Does the game work properly in a real machine?

I don't seem to recall ever seeing this issue when I used to use the disc on a real Beeb?
Last edited by SimonSideburns on Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:00 am

Ok, I managed to grab some attachments of screen shots from an email I sent to a website (that I didn't get a reply to) where the site I was on was asking for games written in RI to be sent to them.

I've just had a look on the site and it's still not been updated for some time.

Anyhow, here's my screenshots.

Boulder Dash style game (sprites shamefully stolen from the original):
dasha2d.png
Boulder dash clone. Levels are not the original ones (as the maximum size in RI is smaller) but they are in the style of the BD levels.
Duke Nukem style game. Collect all the goodies, use the raising platforms to climb to higher platforms. I seem to remember I didn't include any enemies in this one:
duke1.png
Duke Nukem 2d style game.
Pipeline style game. The sprites and maps were my own original designs. The idea was to create a pipe line from start to end. If you reached the end the cell changed to a star worth 500 points which was usually enough to complete the level. The gyroscopes bounced around, and could be changed to the other direction by pushing them the other way:
pipe001.png
Pipeline style game.
And a map of one of the levels:
pipe001-map.png
Pipeline map
Sokoban style game. This was an old Windows 3.1 game which had 50 levels, that I managed to solve, screen capture and print out on an old dot matrix printer. Due to the way that RI worked, you couldn't walk through the 'target' cells without destroying them, so the way I worked it was that as you pushed a crate into a target it reverted to a normal empty cell. Unfortunately, some levels had you going through the target area to get to the other side of crates so I had to alter some levels to either remove those targets or add additional paths through (in such way as to not simplify the level).
soko001.png
Sokoban style game.
System Wadgebury style game. Graphics shamefully stolen from the original game as it appeared on one of the Disc User discs. The only differences from the original were that you could only push one rad canister into a hole at a time and the one way doors behave a bit strangely.
wingle1.png
System Wadgebury style game.
Hope you get them working, and enjoy!

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:44 pm

Not sure if this will help (haven't tried it with your levels yet)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6377

billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:08 am

This seems to load them OK. The STH version likes them too :?
Not had chance to give them a try :roll:

(for reference, I'm using Watford Electronics DFS 1.30)
Attachments
Repton Infinity MODEL B.zip
(37.59 KiB) Downloaded 94 times

SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:23 am

I was playing through the Repton 3 Take 2 set of levels A, the ones that are loaded by default in the game.

I played through and cleared the first level, but I didn't receive the fanfare to say the level was complete. When I thought back on what I had done, I had pushed the egg that is close to the bottom left corner of the screen left, dropping it into the hole where the two other eggs had hatched, squashing one of the monsters in the process.

Next time I played, I squashed each monster with a rock, cleared the level and received a fanfare.

Therefore, unless I am mistaken, killing a monster by dropping another egg on to it appears to not score the player points.

Was this a recognised bug with that version of the game?

tricky

Post by tricky » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:50 pm

I have never played repton (at least that I remember), but those look very interesting, I didn't even know RI had an editor!
My friend Gil did the Spectrum conversions of Repton 1&2, which superior then sat on for over a year IIRC.

SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:14 pm

An entire editing suite - Sprites, Maps and language to program the game logic.

Well worth learning, and the User Manual is well worth getting hold of for information on the various modules including a programming language reference.

tautology

Post by tautology » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:40 pm

Did I ever post the source code for my map renderer for Repton Infinity. For what it's worth; heres the maps for pipe1 :-)
Attachments
pipe1-maps.zip
(64.12 KiB) Downloaded 83 times

davidb

Post by davidb » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:53 am

tautology wrote:Did I ever post the source code for my map renderer for Repton Infinity. For what it's worth; heres the maps for pipe1 :-)
No, but you wrote up the format over on the Retro Software Wiki.

SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:21 pm

tautology wrote:...heres the maps for pipe1 :-)
Those are seriously stunning. Much better than my map building skills.

I just need to find out how to do that myself (by using your software) and I could create maps of all the other levels.

Wonder if anyone who fancies creating new maps would like to have a go and see what they come up with.

I seem to recall that my other game file based on the pipe mania game had an intriguing first level which I now seem to recall can't be completed due to the placement of the gyroscopes. It would be great to see that map so we can try to suss out if the level is broken. If I'm not mistaken it's to do with collecting the star at the end after reaching the target.

tautology

Post by tautology » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:09 pm

Okay I've put it in my github repo at https://github.com/tautology0/gamefilereaders

You will need the Allegro library to compile it (I used it under mingw on Windows; but it should work on any platform which Allegro works on).

SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:19 pm

tautology wrote:You will need the Allegro library to compile it (I used it under mingw on Windows; but it should work on any platform which Allegro works on).
I downloaded your code, but couldn't get anything happening with it.

I realised I had to download allegro, but even with that unzipped I couldn't get anywhere trying to attach all the allegro stuff to the c++ file, and after loads of buggering about I realise I don't have a clue what I'm doing in c++ :oops: :?:

I don't suppose you could compile the program at your end and upload that somewhere?

Here's hoping. Thanks in advance.

On another note, I recall that when making the Sokoban style of games, I put a few secret passages in some of the levels where you could work your way through to some additional bonus crates.

As the game sprites are the same for the scenery and the secret pathway, your level printing program will not show the pathways. Would you be able to adapt the code to allow the user to choose to use the main game sprites or map sprites. This would allow the pathways to become visible (assuming I made them different on the map (the sokoban games prevent the player from showing the maps).

One other way would be to have your code optionally load the original editor sprites and print using those. These should be unique.

Hope all that makes sense.
Last edited by SimonSideburns on Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:26 pm

SimonSideburns wrote:I don't suppose you could compile the program at your end and upload that somewhere?
I can't do that, but it would probably be useful to know what sort of binary you are after? Windows? Mac? Linux?

SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:46 pm

Sorry, Windows.

tautology

Post by tautology » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:47 pm

Attached is the one I have - a quick caveat - I haven't touched this code for about 2 years so it's a bit warts and all.

Command line is:
drawmap infile outtemplate

Where infile is the G. file and outtemplate will be followed by a number for the output.

Just rendering the maps is possible; though you wouldn't get the resolution (obviously); I'd have to remind myself what I did in the first place though.
Attachments
Repton Infinity-exe.zip
(360.92 KiB) Downloaded 78 times

SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:10 pm

Thanks for that taut.

I downloaded and tried to run the exe, and all it does on my 64-bit Windows 7 id stop responding and crash.

I'm not having much luck here.

Repton Infinity seems like the sort of thing that would be well worth a complete new remake in a modern programming language like Java (therefore able to be executed on most modern operating systems). Not sure how easy it would be to compile the game logic into assembly language though. Probably easier to keep it as an interpreted language these days.

geraldholdsworth

Post by geraldholdsworth » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:28 am

I've written a Windoze app which can produce maps in Bitmap, GIF and PNG formats from almost all versions of all variations of Repton. It is still maintained and the current version on the website is 1.17.
1.18 is waiting in the wings for release, which can also do Bonecruncher (BBC and Electron versions only).
You can download it here:
http://www.reptonresourcepage.co.uk/Rep ... epMaps.zip
And full instructions:
http://www.reptonresourcepage.co.uk/Rep ... ctions.pdf

Suggestions for improvements greatly appreciated.
Gerald Holdsworth
Repton Resource Page
www.reptonresourcepage.co.uk