Elixir - BeebEm 2.1

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

Kecske Bak

Elixir - BeebEm 2.1

Post by Kecske Bak » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:06 am

Has anyone else noticed that Superior Software's excellent game "Elixir" crashes on the room containing the pot of agar on BeebEm 2.1? I've tried the tape and disc versions of Elixir, the BBC B, B+ and Master.

Strangely, this game used to work on earlier versions of BeebEm.

Incidentally, I've always loved Elixir. I thought it was a clever and innovative attempt to do something new - I remember it getting very indifferent reviews at the time.

CMcDougall

yeah

Post by CMcDougall » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:23 am

Theres loadsa bugs with 2.1, the newer one is 2.2, its fixed almost everything, go to emulators formum to get the link. Happy Elixir'ing !

Your CM 8)

Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:49 am

Many thanks for that CM - I didn't know that BeebEm had been updated as I only go to the BeebEm site when an update is posted on the "What's New" page of TSTH.

I've just tried Version 2.2 - the problem is still there. I'll try the 2.3 beta in a moment.

I have also noticed you experience a problem in BeebEm wih Superior's "Master Break" when you run out of time answering a question.

CMcDougall

mm

Post by CMcDougall » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:45 am

If its still buggy, try modelb. Usually things that dont work on one, work on the other. Happy Gaming CM.

Nicho

Post by Nicho » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:07 am

I've found this too, I've tried your suggestions and it still crashes, such a shame :(

billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:56 am

If you're still having problems, I can send you another version of Elixir which I've got and played through fully to create the map. I've had a quick look at the files, and there do seem to be some differences in them.

Jeremy Grayson

Re: Elixir - BeebEm 2.1

Post by Jeremy Grayson » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:31 pm

Kecske Bak wrote:Incidentally, I've always loved Elixir. I thought it was a clever and innovative attempt to do something new - I remember it getting very indifferent reviews at the time.

Peter may know more about this than me, but I think I'm right in saying Elixir had a particularly troubled development, passing through the hands of John Llewellyn (Percy Penguin, Mr Wiz), Christopher Hyde (Zany Kong Junior) and at least one other person over a period of time before finally being patched up and released in early 1988. Acorn User review Irving Jacquette remarked at the time that the logical puzzles were well enough thought-out, but also that the game demonstrated how tired and worn-out the platform and ladders genre was by then.

I found the movement a bit jerky and some of the sound effects - particularly those of the chemist's movements - rather grating, but I certainly thought it was a more original game than was actually given credit for at the time, and it's just a shame the whole thing wasn't executed a bit better.

Jeremy
(graysonscolumn)

billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:45 pm

[Checking the case]

Game Authors: Richard Williams, John Llewellyn & Chris Hyde
Programming Consultant: Chris Hart
Loading Screen Design: John Llewellyn

* To *
*SHARON*
* with *
* all *
* my *
* love *
* CHRIS*

Is also contained in the code, I guess this could refer to Mr Hart or Mr Hyde.