Name this Game on a Few Clues

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

streaks

Name this Game on a Few Clues

Post by streaks » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:48 am

I've been asked if I remember a BBC game with a room called "The Complex". He thinks it was a traversable-screen-based platformer probably with ladders. (Traversable as in Citadel or Quest).

That's all I have to go on but "The Complex" is familiar to me aswell...

I also have one. It was like a none-scrolling one-screen Repton with small tiles. I think it was basic-coded, and the title might have been something like "?????? Dig".
streaksy (at) gmail (dot) com

Haqa

Re: Name this Game on a Few Clues

Post by Haqa » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:28 pm

Your game I think is Dig Dug.

Your friend's game has me stumped though...

Adrian...
If at first you don't succeed, blame the cat...

streaks

Post by streaks » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:03 pm

See, I thought Dig Dug, but that turned out to be a Mr. Ee type thing. Infact I think it's what spawned the few Mr. Ee type games. I think it was the original because I've seen a few tributes to it. Not sure what system it was for. Probably a few.

Something is telling me that it's something LIKE that but I can't trust that voice because it gets things wrong. ;/

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:07 pm

Sounds more like a version of Boulderdash.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:19 pm

"The Complex" sounds like it could be a location in a Peter Scott game. You can discount Land of the Free because when i did a screenshot map, i named the filenames after the room names :)

streaks

Post by streaks » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:03 pm

Yeh it's more like Boulderdash I suppose. I think the rocks didn't roll off eachother and you could let them fall in a tall stack.

No idea who Peter Scott is. :P I probably could name about 4 Beeb game makers at a push.

MatthewThompson

Post by MatthewThompson » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:45 pm

how about The Mine by Micro Power or Survivors by Atlantis? they are a bit like
Boulderdash type game.

Cybershark

Post by Cybershark » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:41 pm

"The Complex" rings no bells. Maybe "Star Port"? Or one of Peter Scott's - perhaps Thunderstruck 1/2?
streaks wrote:No idea who Peter Scott is. :P I probably could name about 4 Beeb game makers at a push.
Seriously? :shock:
Scott made a whole bunch of almost-identikit "arcade adventures", such as Hunkidory, Pandemonium, Network, Omega Orb, Last of the Free.
He also coded a whole bunch of conversions for Superior - The Last Ninja 1/2, Predator, Ballistix, Spycat, Sim City, etc, etc...

For your game, might it have been The Electron User's "Rockfall"?
(This game also wound up on one of Alternative's "Triple Decker" compilations.)

Also, on an unrelated note, I just found screenies of these two EU type-ins [link] [link] and they look awesome!

streaks

Post by streaks » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:22 am

Nope, none of those. :/

I'm seeing mode 1 in my mind but that's not totally certain... incase I wasn't clear it's a crude Repton, all on one none-scrolling screen, and I think the rocks didn't roll. The controlled fella was probably a crude little figure, a bit like lode-runner. The maps had titles at to top of each screen. I can't even say that the individual sprites were multicolour. It all MIGHT have been done with defined text characters drawn on the proper text rows.

I can't remember any moving parts other than rocks. No monsters or spirits or anything. I can't even remember wall but that doesn't prove anything. All I remember is rocks and earth. I'm trying to remember if the collectables were diamonds. (They usually are)

The reason I don't know it's name is because my dad "hacked" it and changed the screen names to amuse us. That's why I think it was in basic. Well, that and the unpolished simplicity that was striking even when I was 7 or whatever I was. I wonder if it was from one of those magazine games that you type yourself.

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:25 pm

I know it's a longshot, but would it be Escape From Moonbase Alpha? (The ladder game that is, not the Repton clone)
Repton Shoes!

streaks

Post by streaks » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:04 pm

Just searched for a screenshot, and I've never seen the game before but it looks interesting so I got it.

It's 80s intro text is hilarious.

You've been dumped on a moonbase and have to bribe some doctor to escape for some reason. There are random bags of gold lying around and carrying them around gives you strength, just like in real life. You can take pills to become The Incredible Hulk for five seconds. Not a green monster, THE actual incredible hulk. A wizard does favours for gold. Police boxes teleport you. A demon steals your gold. Marvin drains your strength via boredom (A hitchiker guide thing?). Metal Maulers (basically darlicks) and some troll thing chase you. Deadly Dorris is a walking tele that chases you and turns you in to a frog.

Sci-fi fun then.

sweh

Post by sweh » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:14 pm

streaks wrote:Deadly Dorris is a walking tele that chases you and turns you in to a frog.
aka Evil Edna from Willo The Wisp.
Rgds
Stephen

streaks

Post by streaks » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:39 am

Haha okay. Interesting soup of media influences of the time.

That Boulderdashy game... Now I'm wondering if it was called <NAME>'s Mine, or <NAME>'s Excavation or something.

Anyone play much of Wizzy's Mansion? Could that have a room called The Complex?

billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:24 am

After just testing Audiogenic's Fab Four Vol.1, i've discovered that Thunderstruck 2, by Peter Scott, has a group of screens called The Complex. :)
Thunderstruck2.png
Thunderstruck2.png (14.67 KiB) Viewed 1554 times

streaks

Post by streaks » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:47 am

Woa! You diamond. I've sent the link to him. >D

streaks

Post by streaks » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:59 am

Yeh thats the one.

He always gets his nostalgic stuff found for him based on the vaguest stuff and I never get mine found. Haha, I've got at least 5 threads stagnating on various forums asking if anyone can identify an old game. (exageration - someone identified one here last year for me based on a screenshot)

There's another two beev games I want naming aswell that I haven't mentioned yet. One based on a tune that I'll put on youtube and one based on a sprite (a two headed thing that walked left and right on layered platforms)

streaks

Post by streaks » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:14 pm

Update on the dig game:

I think it was one of those games that you typed yourself from a mag. (Did I already say that?)

Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:42 pm

If you're the same Streaks who did the magnificent version of "Midnight Summer Dream" that sounds like the theme to one of Lew Grade's 1960s ITC serials then I'd just like to let you know how much I enjoyed it.

streaks

Post by streaks » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:33 am

I am, thanks! ;D

Cybershark

Post by Cybershark » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:49 pm

Cybershark wrote:"The Complex" rings no bells. Maybe "Star Port"? Or one of Peter Scott's - perhaps Thunderstruck 1/2?
Not a bad guess then! 8)