Christmas Games

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

MatthewThompson

Christmas Games

Post by MatthewThompson » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:07 pm

Does anyone know of any decent (or not so decent) Christmas games for the BBC ? the only one I can remember commerically was Santa's Delivery from Tynesoft, and a number of Electron User type-in's , Santa's Sleigh was one.

Anybody know of any others? maybe there was some PD, Shareware ones as well?

Thanks
matthew

mjforbes

Re: Christmas Games

Post by mjforbes » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:32 pm

A quick scan over my collection of images gives these two - "Santa" by Icon (awful game, and I can't figure out how to descend the ladders), and a collection of rubbish from Micro User, optimistically entitled "Christmas Crackers" ...

Enjoy (maybe)

Matt
Attachments
Xmas Bits.zip
(40.94 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
"We're happy as fish, as gorgeous as geese, and wonderfully clean in the morning."

MatthewThompson

Post by MatthewThompson » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:08 pm

Thanks for the reply, i'm pretty sure that Santa by Icon and Santa's Delivery by Tynesoft are the same game, i'd have to check but i'm sure I read somewhere that was the case.

That Micro User Yuletide disc rings a bell, I'll give that a go later, i'm sure it will bring back some memories.

cheers
Matthew

MatthewThompson

Post by MatthewThompson » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:11 pm

mjforbes wrote:A quick scan over my collection of images gives these two - "Santa" by Icon (awful game, and I can't figure out how to descend the ladders), and a collection of rubbish from Micro User, optimistically entitled "Christmas Crackers" ...

Enjoy (maybe)

Matt
It's the A and Z keys which move you up and down the ladders, I had a go at the game and it's exactly the same as Santa's Delivery from Tynesoft, it's potenially a good game but too hard and all too easy to fall off the roofs.

I had a look at the Christmas Crackers ssd is there not a disc menu or am I missing it ? as it did nothing with a shift/break?

cheers
matthew

mjforbes

Post by mjforbes » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:42 pm

There's no menu on "Xmas Crackers" - just CHAIN the program you require.
"We're happy as fish, as gorgeous as geese, and wonderfully clean in the morning."

ivor_the_injun

Post by ivor_the_injun » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:53 pm

There were two very good Electron User type-ins in the same Christmae issue:

Santa On The Tiles and Santa's Dilemma

http://www.acornelectron.co.uk/mags/eu/cats/eu5_03.html

sa_scott

Post by sa_scott » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:17 pm

Hmmm... good Christmas games. Well, I can't vouch for all of them, but here are some (well, all of them) from The Micro User.

Revenge of the Snowmen (December 1989) - 2 player game, must throw snowballs at your opponent. Game isn't too bad.

Here are some others:
Santa (December 1983) - I suspect due to its age, this will be rubbish!
Christmas Box, Santa's Sleigh (December 1986) - could be the same as described earlier.
Santa's Slip Up (December 1991) - no idea about this one.

I don't have disc images of these unfortunately, but its a starting point :-)

Steve
--
Stephen Scott, Digital Media Professional
www.sassquad.com

Dave_E

Post by Dave_E » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:18 pm

Don't forget to fire up Dan Pugh's Funky Yuletide and Melwyn Wright's famous Musical Snowmen Demos too!!

streaks

Post by streaks » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:14 pm

For me, XMAS+BEEB = Repton 3 Xmas Maps. I dunno if it was ever distributed because I have a feeling my dad made it, harhar.. (It was Santa-ish, not just the 40 Screens arctic maps..)

Apart from that I remember a xmas program which was just a snowy scene and music. We'd actually ask our dad to put it on at xmas. But I wasn't a Dickensian cynical husk back then. :P I wonder if it's doing the rounds online. I think the snow settled on the ground and the level slowly rose up...? Those were the days.
streaksy (at) gmail (dot) com