Elite sequel on the way

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

ivor_the_injun

Elite sequel on the way

Post by ivor_the_injun » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:59 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20187897

It's happening. David Braben's going down the Kickstarter route, and is after £1.25m for Elite: Dangerous.

Work's already begun.

Ooooooooooh.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/146 ... -dangerous

Initially PC only.

It's had pledges of almost £5k in the first hour since opening.

aerworuld

Re: Elite sequel on the way

Post by aerworuld » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:59 am

Wouldn't it be nice if they released it on the 8-bit formats, just for old times sake :)

Where would Elite be without them!

Garrettimus

Post by Garrettimus » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:04 am

Fantastic! I'd like to have a new Elite for the Beeb!

:D

nOmArch

Post by nOmArch » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:34 pm

Oh thank god, finally!
Alex

Back up to 1 Beeb again. \o/

Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:45 pm

I'm as big an Elite fan as the next man, but I have to wonder why they're expecting the public to pay up-front for a title that has had little progress over many, many years, and which the studio could surely afford to gamble on themselves, if they were confident in success. Even if you take it as an experiment in the Kickstarter model, that doesn't seem right as they'll get a lot of people with Elite-nostalgia throwing money at it, which is completely different to what would happen if they'd posted about a completely original game.

I dunno. Given how buggy Frontier and FFE were, I'm skeptical about another Elite without the involvement of Bell. I think it was the input of both of them that made that game what it was. If Braben brought him into the design phase, I'd be throwing money at them too ... but as it is ... hmm.

I'd also give him 50 quid right now, if he offered to get someone to go back and retro-fit Econet support to the original Master 128/Second Processor version of Elite, so you could have multi-player over a LAN. Bet Mark would be in with me on that. :)

Sam.

flynnjs

Post by flynnjs » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:02 pm

re: econet elite, why don't we do it ourselves then?

nOmArch

Post by nOmArch » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:46 pm

It's been mooted in the past, just no one (so far) has willing to take on the monumental coding task.

btw over £226,000 and counting.
Alex

TopBanana

Post by TopBanana » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:57 pm

flynnjs wrote:re: econet elite, why don't we do it ourselves then?
Off you go then ...... :lol:

If you could have it all done by Christmas that would be just great :lol:
Samwise wrote:I'm as big an Elite fan as the next man, but I have to wonder why they're expecting the public to pay up-front for a title that has had little progress over many, many years, and which the studio could surely afford to gamble on themselves, if they were confident in success. Even if you take it as an experiment in the Kickstarter model, that doesn't seem right as they'll get a lot of people with Elite-nostalgia throwing money at it, which is completely different to what would happen if they'd posted about a completely original game.

I dunno. Given how buggy Frontier and FFE were, I'm skeptical about another Elite without the involvement of Bell. I think it was the input of both of them that made that game what it was. If Braben brought him into the design phase, I'd be throwing money at them too ... but as it is ... hmm.

Sam.
I'd be interested to see what they are going to come up with that's different - part of it's appeal now (at least for me) is that it runs on old hardware that limits what is possible, so you use so much more of your imagination when playing the game.

Of course online play is the obvious step, but what else would make it a complete "must have" ??

Answers on a postcard please to .....

ivor_the_injun

Post by ivor_the_injun » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:28 pm

Samwise wrote:I'm as big an Elite fan as the next man, but I have to wonder why they're expecting the public to pay up-front for a title that has had little progress over many, many years, and which the studio could surely afford to gamble on themselves, if they were confident in success. Even if you take it as an experiment in the Kickstarter model, that doesn't seem right as they'll get a lot of people with Elite-nostalgia throwing money at it, which is completely different to what would happen if they'd posted about a completely original game.

I'd also give him 50 quid right now, if he offered to get someone to go back and retro-fit Econet support to the original Master 128/Second Processor version of Elite, so you could have multi-player over a LAN. Bet Mark would be in with me on that. :)

Sam.
In answer to the first bit - if you had the option of paying for something, or getting other people to pay for it for you, I think you'd probably take the latter. :lol:

Loads of scepticism over it of course, but it's got a ton of publicity. Which is perhaps another reason for going down this route.

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:30 am

ivor_the_injun wrote:Loads of scepticism over it of course, but it's got a ton of publicity. Which is perhaps another reason for going down this route.
This is true. But also, David Braben is a respectable member of the games industry - as was Tim Schafer, who got his KickStarter wish granted. This is the advantage he has over many ambitious projects that ask for public funding; most of them are terrible. There is room for a new Elite today; Eve Online is properly complicated, and other things are more strategy-based. Good luck to them.
Repton Shoes!

sa_scott

Post by sa_scott » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:29 pm

This is great. Two former BBC Micro alumni are now competing for attention.

In the blue corner, we have Mr David Braben, with Elite: Dangerous.

And in the red corner, we have Mr Chris Roberts, with Star Citizen.

Star Citizen already has its funding after its launch in October (over $3 million pledged, goal was $2 million).
Elite: Dangerous is hovering at about £370k of pledges.

This will be an interesting battle :-D

Steve
--
Stephen Scott, Digital Media Professional
www.sassquad.net

nOmArch

Post by nOmArch » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:26 pm

Talk about a wasted opportunity though, they only managed to get a video and screenshots up today. Something tells me that FD are not very good at the social media thing.
Alex

Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:10 pm

FWIW, I work with a guy who used to work at FD, and from what he's described to me in the past about the then current state of Elite: Dangerous, he said it was very impressive ... but it sounded pretty different to what I recognise as Elite. He did say that it was looking great, tho. Apparently, a good proportion of the people who join them, were brought up on Elite ... ;)

Sam.

nOmArch

Post by nOmArch » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:31 pm

That makes me feel quite a bit more positive actually :)

Like I said in a PM to Paul, As long as David is able to release a reasonably bug free version of his vision of the game, I'll be happy.
Alex

Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:39 pm

I have no doubt at all, that Braben will only permit the release of a complete, mostly bug-free, release that matches his vision for it. He's now in a much better position to ensure the quality than when he was working on Frontier / FFE.

My concerns are more related to the fact that I think Bell played an important role in the original's game design ...

Sam.

nOmArch

Post by nOmArch » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:04 pm

I dunno, apart from Frontiers control system and the bugs I really enjoyed it.

E2A: And lets face it, other than Elite, Ian's hardly been active in game dev since then.

E2A2: Looking at Ian's site I realise that he had a lot more to do with the programming than I thought. :oops: and of course that has no bearing on how much of the game design he contributed to.

In short, I'll just shush.
Alex

nOmArch

Post by nOmArch » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:00 pm

Yay 10,000 Backers and it looks like we're on for half a mil by end of play Thursday!
Alex

nOmArch

Post by nOmArch » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:38 pm

T-shirts have arrived.

Alex

martinw

Post by martinw » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:30 pm

Even your cat looks impressed =D>

Well, relatively :wink:

Martin

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:30 pm

^what a nice moggy you have Alex :mrgreen:
ImageImageImage

nOmArch

Post by nOmArch » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:08 pm

Yes, Puddin' has very good taste :)

The worst thing about that picture is that it looked like it's been photoshopped.
Alex

RichP

Post by RichP » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:23 pm

Think this is great news!

just snapped this from D Braben's Twitter

I wasnt a big fan of Frontier, for that game he seemed to be really enthusiastic about recreating the universe in infinite accuracy, but then forgot about making the game fun and playable. I really want him to get the combat + control spot this time on before worrying about making a huge universe or filling it with other extraneous details. I think he knows this though, so feeling hopeful :)

i want to pester him for a proper updated Zarch now :P

nOmArch

Post by nOmArch » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:20 pm

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT Gameplay footage!!!!!!!

Alex

danielj

Post by danielj » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:08 pm

That is properly pretty.

paulv

Post by paulv » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:32 pm

Looks proper stunning and in one bid. differentiates itself from EVE without saying a word. That being said, I never understood people saying it was going to be like EVE as that is like Dune meets Elite.

What this will be looks much more like what I was hoping for. Elite expanded with visuals that do the game itself justice.

Paul

jonb

Post by jonb » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:26 pm

You will all notice, I hope, that it does not appear to have "proper" physics in the ship control. So it is more like the original Elite concept of roll / yaw with no angular momentum (is that the right term?). So I mean, it looks like it plays like the Elite of old, and this is a very good thing.

Can anyone tell me what return one would have on investment? I wouldn't want to shell out a load of wonga for nothing, that'd be a bit LOLPRICE.

nOmArch

Post by nOmArch » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:47 pm

£20 For a digital download of the game.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/146 ... -dangerous

From the FAQ
Will you have Newtonian physics in the game?

Yes. The degree of the fly-by-wire to override the feeling of skidding is something we will carefully tune.
Alex

danielj

Post by danielj » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:11 pm

In light of that and them updating the rewards to include physical copies... Physical copy time it is.

I figure I've had enough joy from the old versions now being "free" to feel quite happy about that.

I do note that I'd have to pay an absolute assload of cash to use my actual last name though, the swines.

aerworuld

Post by aerworuld » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:53 pm

Seems like they are now officially half-way to the Kickstarter target set!

danielj

Post by danielj » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:56 pm

I suspect they're not going to hit the target :?

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”