Heyley Software Games - Help Required !!

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

CMcDougall

Re: Heyley Software Games - Help Required !!

Post by CMcDougall » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:18 pm

leenew wrote:Did anyone ever get fully working versions of these on a DSD??
I tried ADFS to DFS, but some files where >7chars, and did not work :(

BUT...

Dave H :D found the 'original' discs, and they work on DFS!

find them here :
http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... 732#p67213

you need to sort a couple out to work, ie change all Dir U to $, and one needed a !boot to get working. If get stuck Lee, can upload the .SSD's I sorted 8)
ImageImageImage

PitfallJones

Post by PitfallJones » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:39 pm

Hi,
Just seen this - Heyley on DFS - Brillant!
Thanks for that.
-PJ

leenew

Post by leenew » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:39 pm

Col if you could up the fixed DFS games that would be brill :D

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:46 pm

^for lazy bones :lol:

noticed most are run at PAGE@1D00, so must of been for the stupid Elk Plus3 ADFS 1.00 :x
Attachments
HEYLEY advs ssd.zip
SSD Advs, HintSheets & Solutions
(774.44 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
ImageImageImage

Dave_E

Post by Dave_E » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:17 pm

I have a question for Dave which is a bit off-thread but hopefully not *too* off-thread.

It would appear that Pres supplied 3.5" ADFS versions of companion discs to Electron User. Over the years I've collected up about nine of them. They have exactly the same programs on as the companion cassettes but the menu is slightly different and they have all been fixed to run at PAGE &1D00.

I'd be interested to know how this deal worked, how long it went on for, how many discs were produced, whether you retained the masters for them and also how many people actually bought them (if you remember).

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:49 pm

Dave_E wrote:I have a question for Dave which is a bit off-thread but hopefully not *too* off-thread.

It would appear that Pres supplied 3.5" ADFS versions of companion discs to Electron User. Over the years I've collected up about nine of them. They have exactly the same programs on as the companion cassettes but the menu is slightly different and they have all been fixed to run at PAGE &1D00.

I'd be interested to know how this deal worked, how long it went on for, how many discs were produced, whether you retained the masters for them and also how many people actually bought them (if you remember).
Sorry, that was handled down at the Lightwater end of the partnership. I didn't get involved at all :?

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

lordroberts

Post by lordroberts » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:32 am

Sorry to wake this thread from the dead, but I have FOUND all the hintsheets for these games. After spending the entire weekend clearing my loft out, I found all the original maps and development notes for the Heyley Gamse and this included the hintsheets.

Of, course these are in paper format as I don't have any of the original discs. They were printed in the very smallest fonts on a dot matrix printer and they generally take up four A4 sides.

I'm scanning them at the moment but if someone wants to volunteer to clean the scans up and convert them into PDF, we would then have a complete set of disc images and a complete set of hintsheets for anyone who wants to play them.

leenew

Post by leenew » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:15 am

Hi LordRoberts,
Could you just clear one small point up for me please.
Were the BBC versions any different to the Electron versions that have been found?
Did they feature any more locations or puzzles, or were they exactly the same but in mode 7??
Thank you.

lordroberts

Post by lordroberts » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:42 am

leenew wrote:Hi LordRoberts,
Were the BBC versions any different to the Electron versions that have been found?
Did they feature any more locations or puzzles, or were they exactly the same but in mode 7??
Thank you.
The BBC game were exactly the same. When we did the Electron versions we were loaned a machine by Dave at PRES and we converted them to run in MODE 6 on the Electron. The first three games were quite easy but "The Taroda Scheme" and "Stranded!" were very difficult. We have to resort to memory compression techniques and loading the games very low down in memory in order to get them to run. If I recall, there were only around 300 bytes of RAM left when we eventually got "Stranded!" to run.

The puzzles are exactly the same in all versions of the game so the hintsheets will get you through all the games.

leenew

Post by leenew » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:47 am

Thank you :D

leenew

Post by leenew » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:28 pm

lordroberts wrote:
leenew wrote:Hi LordRoberts,
Thank you.
The BBC game were exactly the same. When we did the Electron versions we were loaned a machine by Dave at PRES and we converted them to run in MODE 6 on the Electron. The first three games were quite easy but "The Taroda Scheme" and "Stranded!" were very difficult. We have to resort to memory compression techniques and loading the games very low down in memory in order to get them to run. If I recall, there were only around 300 bytes of RAM left when we eventually got "Stranded!" to run.

The puzzles are exactly the same in all versions of the game so the hintsheets will get you through all the games.

Well, seeing as we have the Elk versions, could we now "make" the mode 7 Beeb versions from these PLUS the beeb version of Stranded!
How hard can it be? 8)

Lee.

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:15 pm

Did the Beeb versions use any Teletext graphics/colours?

Wonder how they converted to MODE 6 - just change a 7 to a 6, or (more likely?) strip out Telextext control codes as well.

So it should be simple to change the MODE 6 into a MODE 7, but that wouldn't bring any Teletext codes.

The Electron versions should just work on BBC anyway? :?:

leenew

Post by leenew » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:28 pm

Maybe they will work Richard. ... but. ..I cant stand mode 6 :lol:
Lee
PS I am in bed so cannot check STRANDED beeb version to see what it looks like. ..

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:27 am

leenew wrote:Maybe they will work Richard. ... but. ..I cant stand mode 6 :lol:
Lee
PS I am in bed so cannot check STRANDED beeb version to see what it looks like. ..
The four that Col downloaded all work on BeebEm3 OK <- Master Mode 6, of course.

Talking of these adventures . . . They are rather large! I'm thinking, as a goal, of getting them on the MGC. However, question: do any of them access disc during the game?
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

jms2

Post by jms2 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:40 am

If you change the Mode6 to Mode7, it would create a universal version which runs in mode7 on the beeb and mode6 on the Electron....

leenew

Post by leenew » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:26 am

Yep, It seems you are correct.
The fact that LordRoberts confirmed that the games were exactly the same on the electron as they were on the beeb totally escaped me :roll:
A couple of "MODE7"s here and there and a bit of a change to the title screen totally restores them to the beeb version!

I am off to work now, but do we need to decide on "official" changes to these? Maybe based on the listing for the "Stranded" beeb version? or will the changes mentioned above be enough for me to cross these from the MIA list once and for all?

Lee.

leenew

Post by leenew » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:58 pm

I have just had a look at "Stranded!" (DISC H1 in the STH collection) and they used coloured text for the beeb version.
Yellow for room descriptions, green for visible exits, magenta for visible objects.

I assume (but am not sure at all...) that the other games used coloured text?
This will have to be put back in, as well as the MODE7 command.
The first "intro" page is coloured too.
I think "The ultimate prize" was the first game, and probably the smallest.
I think I will have a look at modding that one first...

Lee.

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:03 pm

@Lee . . . you may have problems with with the Electron 'Stranded' - It's been heavily compressed!

leenew

Post by leenew » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:34 pm

That's why I am starting with the earliest one "Ultimate Prize" :D it hopefully should be a bit easier.

In fact, it just needs a MODE6 command changing to a MODE7 in the first program to make it all run in MODE7 and look nice.
The coloured text might be a bit trickier.
I have had a quick look and PROCP is the print routine.
S$ is the string to be printed.
I can add a CHR$(130) to the beginning of S$ but that only turns the first line green.
I may have to look at the machine code print routine (or get Richard to look at it :lol: )

Lee.

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:01 pm

I did wonder if it was going to be a bit more work than changing MODE 6 to MODE 7.

LordRoberts did say "converted" to Mode 6 - that could have entailed stripping Teletext codes (and sounds like you have found out that it did mean that.)

leenew

Post by leenew » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:34 pm

Looks like I have solved it.
This is as close to how the BBC version of "Ultimate prize" would have looked.
Ultimate Prize MODE7.zip
(36.19 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
All the code for the coloured text was left in the main "RUN" file, but the print routine, which was contained in a program called "MODULE" had been nobbled to produce white text only.
Copying the "MODULE" file from the BBC version of STRANDED! restored the colours to their teletext glory :D

I will convert the others tomorrow and put them in Archive submissions.

Lee.

leenew

Post by leenew » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:53 pm

In fact, here are ULTIMATE PRIZE, PIRATE'S PERIL, DREAM TIME, and TARODA SCHEME in their teletext coloured glory:
HEYLEY MODE7.zip
(251.4 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
I haven't bothered with Stranded as we have the Beeb version anyway, and the elk version loads all over the screen and mentions Electron in the scrolling loader.

These could do with a bit of play testing maybe...

**EDIT they need a lot of testing, as the SOLVE command does not solve the game any more, so there is still work to be done in converting these :twisted:
so, at the moment, take them as just a visual demo!

In fact, the brilliant thing is that we have the SOLVE1 files, and the SOLVE command does the playtesting for us. (SOLVE1 on the HEYLEY01SOLVE disc is for Ultimate prize)
So, all that needs to be done :D is to see the difference in the original "MODULE" file, and the replacement "MODULE" file from STRANDED, and work out which bit restores the colours, but what is breaking the game. Easy.... RICHARD!!

Lee.

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:20 am

leenew wrote:Looks like I have solved it.
=D> =D> =D>
leenew wrote:and work out which bit restores the colours, but what is breaking the game. Easy.... RICHARD!!
Eh? :-s

I can have a look - let's work with that Ultimate Prize first.

So, if I download the Electron version, and run it on the BBC, I can type "SOLVE" and things will happen?

If I try your BBC conversion of the same, it looks better, but SOLVE no longer works.

Have I got it so far?

leenew

Post by leenew » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:40 am

Yeah basically.
Get the SSDs from a few posts up that Col posted.
One disc is called Heyley 01solve. It has a file on it called SOLVE1
Copy this to the ultimate prize SSD.
Run the game and type SOLVE
The game progresses from beginning to end and you win with full points.
Next copy SOLVE1 to the ultimate prize mode 7 SSD I posted above.
Run and type SOLVE.
The solve fails.
The only difference between the original electron version (apart from a MODE 7 statement in the loader) is the MODULE file which I nabbed from side 2 of disc H1 in the STH disc collection.
This file is from the original BBC version of Stranded.
If you look in the main program file (called RUN) around line 440ish, PROCp takes S$ and a number. S$ is the print string and the number is the colour to be printed. It then calls an address around A70 (this is where MODULE is loaded) the beeb MODULE restores the colours but breaks the game somehow. It is only a few hundred bytes long so should be fixable :D
Lee

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:01 am

leenew wrote:This file is from the original BBC version of Stranded.
Thanks, Lee. Just checking this bit isn't a typo - you copied the file from a different game?

Which mostly works because it looks like shared code that all the games could use?

I've downloaded the SSDs and working my way through them, but wanted to be sure I'm looking at the right things!

leenew

Post by leenew » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:23 am

Yes. The code to print in coloured text has been left in the games which is great as we can be certain we are looking at the correct colours.
My guess is that the print routine has been altered so as not to bother printing them. The file MODULE seems to be responsible across all of the games.
I copied the BBC version of the MODULE file from disc H1 to overwrite the one on the ultimate prize SSD. This indeed restored the colours but then had the side effect of somehow breaking the game.
I think it needs just a few bytes altering somewhere but I cannot dis assemble them as I am at work now
Lee.

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:35 am

leenew wrote:I think it needs just a few bytes altering somewhere but I cannot dis assemble them as I am at work now
Hhhhm, a few out of 1024 or so ...

I started having a look but there's still quite a lot of code to get one's head around at &A70 - it doesn't just display what's at $700 - it's doing something a bit fancier. Maybe the text is compressed or encoded some way?

leenew

Post by leenew » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:39 am

Well if it is, it is consistent across all the games as the BBC MODULE file displays all text correctly in all 4 games.
If you can find the correct SOLVE file for each game it may be worth seeing if it breaks all 4 by typing SOLVE on all of my mode 7 versions...
Lee

leenew

Post by leenew » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:25 pm

I think I have done it Richard.
Load the Elk version of MODULE into memory somewhere safe.
Load the BBC version of MODULE into memory somewhere else safe.
Take the BBC code that would reside at &A70 and splice it into the Elk version. Re-save MODULE and it works and is winnable! :D
If you don't get there first I will post them after tea...
Lee

leenew

Post by leenew » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:42 pm

Hi Richard,
Don't bother doing any more work on this.
They are definitely fixed.
All the adventures have been played from beginning to end and are totally solvable.
The colours have been restored back to their original colours. This is certain as the code to do this was left in the game, just removed from the display routine.
I spliced in the original display routine from the BBC version of Stranded and it works perfectly and the colours match Stranded.
I have made up all the SSDs and will post them when I get home from work :D
Lee.