Games author/rightsholder? Want them on Beebdroid?

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

kenton

Games author/rightsholder? Want them on Beebdroid?

Post by kenton » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:27 pm

Calling games authors and rights holders!

We're about to launch Beebdroid, the BBC Micro emulator for Android, at Replay Expo next month. Go check out the time-limited beta at http://www.littlefluffytoys.com, bundled with some games for testing purposes.

Are you a Beeb author, or do you own rights to any Beeb games? Want them built into Beebdroid? We can charge for them if you like, but to be honest it's unlikely you'll make much cash from them so you'll get a much wider audience if you're free. And if you prove popular then we can introduce charging later.

If you've got something you'd like to see built into it, and you can prove you own the rights to it, please public-message or private-message me here, or email kenton@littlefluffytoys.com and we can discuss further there.

davidb

Re: Games author/rightsholder? Want them on Beebdroid?

Post by davidb » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:41 pm

Did you ever manage to clear up the OS ROM situation? I sent an e-mail to Sophie Wilson's non-work address and didn't get a response. I was hoping you might have had better luck.

Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:42 am

There've been many, many attempts over the years but the only way to definitively sort it out would require a fortune in legal fees, so I sincerely doubt anyone will ever make that effort. The last I heard was that Pace believed they had inherited those rights ... but there have been so many potential parties involved over the years and with the break-up of what was Acorn Computers, there's probably a good chance someone somewhere would object to that.

Sophie Wilson has also said as much in person - at the Q&A for a special reunion meeting of the Computer Conservation Society at the Science Museum in London on 20/03/08 to celebrate the BBC Micro and the Computer Literacy Project, for one example.

Sam.

flynnjs

Post by flynnjs » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:18 pm

I'd take the same attitude as I do when I find people in
office who don't update records properly*... act and see
who squeals :lol:

It's probably a low risk approach as the financial loss for
any rights holder must by tiny. If anyone did come forward
you could claim that the community has searched previously
and the the work appeared orphaned.

J

[*] It's amazing how quickly people speak up when you use
the same IP address as someone else who didn't apply for
it officially.

kenton

Post by kenton » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:01 pm

It won't be removed from Android Market unless a rights holder can prove their interest to Google. None of this "we think we might own it" nonsense. So if that happened, then if nothing else, this would at least show the emulator community who owns them legally.

davidb

Post by davidb » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:14 pm

Samwise wrote:There've been many, many attempts over the years but the only way to definitively sort it out would require a fortune in legal fees, so I sincerely doubt anyone will ever make that effort. The last I heard was that Pace believed they had inherited those rights ... but there have been so many potential parties involved over the years and with the break-up of what was Acorn Computers, there's probably a good chance someone somewhere would object to that.
According to Andrew Hodgson, the rights weren't bought by Pace, so that's one more potential party out of the running. I guess it's unlikely we'll ever find out who holds them now.

flynnjs

Post by flynnjs » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:03 pm

According to Andrew Hodgson, the rights weren't bought by Pace, so that's one more potential party out of the running. I guess it's unlikely we'll ever find out who holds them now
My understanding is that it was Set Top Box division (including RiscOS
/NCOS) that Pace acquired from E14 and then was subsequently
brought by Castle in '03.
E14 continued with DSP only and is now Broadcom.

Whilst Arthur was a very different beast to MOS, it retained APIs
(OSBYTE) and some command line syntax so MOS IPR must have
been passed on as part of RiscOS, and therefore at least *some*
right must now lay with Castle.
No contract was ever going to mention MOS directly as it was well
dead by the time all the restructuring was under way but it would
certainly have been implied in the sales of RiscOS.