EUG #73 Released Today!

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

Dave_E

EUG #73 Released Today!

Post by Dave_E » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:25 pm

Remember the last time you saw Christmas on an 8-bit? No? Then you'll love the new EUG...

http://www.acornelectron.co.uk/eug/cats/eug73.html

Companion disc at:

http://www.acornelectron.co.uk/archive/eug/d-eug73.zip

This may be the last EUG ever, as I feel I've really run with it for as long as I can. A lot of nice inclusions on this latest one though, including CASTLE OF NIGHTMARES and EGGHEAD IN SPACE.

Dave Footitt

Re: EUG #73 Released Today!

Post by Dave Footitt » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:41 pm

Great stuff, thanks a lot Dave. Got myself a well-earned brew and just spent a fair bit of time reading it :)

davidb

Post by davidb » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:57 am

That's a great Electron User-style picture! Santa rides a giant Acorn Electron - who would believe you if you told them?! :)

Thanks for making it available. I fired up Elkulator just to see what Egghead in Space was like.

Dave_E

Post by Dave_E » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:03 pm

davidb wrote: I fired up Elkulator just to see what Egghead in Space was like.
Bloody brilliant, n'est-ce pas? I realised when creating the little jQuery EGGHEAD animation just how many little sprites were packed into it - EIGHT sprites just to animate the main character, no wonder he looks so cartoony!

Yrrah2

Post by Yrrah2 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:42 am

Great Dave!

Played Castle of Nightmares a lot in these days.
I had made some extra screens myself back then. :wink: .
I'll post them when get home.

Lovely intro screen for the game by the way. Is that original or did you create it?

Cheers
Happy with my BBC Master
www.mybbcmaster.nl

Dave_E

Post by Dave_E » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:02 am

The opener is actually an old Electron User cover, trace-drawn in MS Paint. I think this counts as the most enthusiastic reception to an EUG on Stairway To Hell forums in history. A great deal of Christmas spirit in BBC/Elk land, methinks.

regregex

Post by regregex » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:04 pm

Thanks Dave for a great series, I've really enjoyed it over the years ...hope you change your mind!

I met Simon at CGEUK 2005 hoping to buy a copy of Egghead, we had a discussion about solving the duplication problem but it didn't work out, I don't know what happened.

Glad it eventually saw the light of day, now I can post this: Egghead In Space map

--Greg

Yrrah2

Post by Yrrah2 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:02 pm

Dave_E wrote:The opener is actually an old Electron User cover, trace-drawn in MS Paint. I think this counts as the most enthusiastic reception to an EUG on Stairway To Hell forums in history. A great deal of Christmas spirit in BBC/Elk land, methinks.
And the screen from Castle of Nightmares?
Happy with my BBC Master
www.mybbcmaster.nl

Dave_E

Post by Dave_E » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:09 pm

That one's an invention from my fevered mind. It looks like the Repton loader if you play the game itself. You get a menu saying 1. The Game, and 2. The Editor

I might do a nice loader for Wizalon (another AU game) at some point. This game was quite popular on the BBC but the Electron version is barely known about and only exists in the magazine itself. Bout time it had a nice intro too.

MatthewThompson

Post by MatthewThompson » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:45 pm

Wizalon was an excellent game, I remember when it was pre-advertised as "Free game next month" - so I expected a cassette attached to the cover, but no it was a type in, but it was a very good one too, can't remember which machine I had by then, Electron or BBC B.

But a nice new intro loader would be good. And talking of AU games, what about Codename Druid, maybe the same treatment could be done for that too.
Last edited by Samwise on Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quoting

Cybershark

Post by Cybershark » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:14 am

Wizalon is ace. I aquired both that and Castle of Nightmares via 8BS a good few years back. Can't say that I ever dwelt on Castle for long though - bit too frustrating, that one.

Egghead on the other hand looks quite stunning. You're right about the cartoony quality Dave, the animation is very slick. The single-colour gameplay reminds me of PlanB (which is no bad thing).

Thanks for all your tireless efforts, and fingers crossed for a #74 at some future point.

MatthewThompson

Post by MatthewThompson » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:08 pm

I was one of the few people (I think) who bought Egghead in Space from Cronosoft on it's original release, I don't know if there was physical versions, I only have emulator files.

But I managed to complete the game, and did start writing a walkthrough and doing a screenshot map, I haven't finished it, I might give it a go again and finish it off sometime.

If anyone get's stuck with the game and needs any help, give me a shout !!

It's good to see Egghead in Space appearing again, hopefully the same can be said of the other Cronosoft game Weenies, that's another excellent game too, which shouldn't be lost.

Dave_E

Post by Dave_E » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:23 pm

Hmmm, WEENIES - technically stunning. But my God it is hard!! I believe Chris Dewhurst has published some utilities on his own site to design levels for it as well, if anyone is so inclined.

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”