Felix and the Fruit Monsters

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

retro_junkie

Felix and the Fruit Monsters

Post by retro_junkie » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:28 pm

Has anyone actually played this game much? It's quite an interesting re-think of a Pac-Man type game and it seems to be an original one (ie not just a clone of an obscure arcade game like Bumble Bee). I have never really given it the time of day - firstly because (like Felix in the Factory) it uses ridiculous keys that are basically impossible to use on emulation with a PC keyboard and secondly because it is pretty difficult to work out exactly what you are meant to do.

Thanks to now having an original copy to play on my real Electron, I quite like it but... is it just me or is there really no way of protecting the fruit? The instructions tell you to move it to a safe place but with 4 monsters wandering about, there is never really any safe place... as you can only pause the monsters, you can't even keep a corner safe because you don't have time to move all the fruit before the pools dry up. The only tactic I can use is to keep hold of one of the pieces of fruit and run away from the monsters until the time runs out. Surely there must be a better way of doing it than this? For one thing, if you have the last piece of fruit and run into a monster, rather than lose a life, it is game over because they get the last piece of fruit!

I think the game would be improved by having an actual safe area (that the monsters can't access) that the fruit would keep floating out of and you would have to get it and keep putting it back. Either that or start the game with less fruit or less monsters and gradually increase them.

Has anyone managed to play the game 'properly' though (ie keeping all the fruit safe for at least a level or 2)? Or is it just a poorly thought out, not quite finished game that was sold to Micro Power along with John Chaytor's superior platform game?

retro_junkie

Re: Felix and the Fruit Monsters

Post by retro_junkie » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:53 pm

Has nobody really played it then? I thought I must be missing something because it is such a common game but maybe it sold purely on the Felix name and people hoping for a straight Pac-Man clone... and was it one of the Micro Power games given away with Electrons by Dixons or someone.

sorvad

Post by sorvad » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:00 pm

I've played it, got it as part of a massive micropower games bundle with my Elk due to the computer bubble crashing and Acorn having shed loads of Elks on there hands.

But that was back then, not looked at it since probably about 85 ! I might give it another go for old times sake :)

billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:34 pm

I've added a few lines to the loader to allow the keys to be changed.

I've set them to

Z - Left
X - Right
: - Up
/ - Down
RETURN - Move
SPACE - Drop

Maybe more people will give it a go now! :?
Attachments
FelixAndTheFruitMonsters-KeysChanged.zip
(7.31 KiB) Downloaded 86 times

sorvad

Post by sorvad » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:44 pm

Ah, nice one, cool. :)