Discuss: Best and worst beeb game endings?

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

Samwise
Site Admin

Discuss: Best and worst beeb game endings?

Post by Samwise » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:47 am

We haven't had a decent gaming discussion topic for a while, like some of the classic threads: "New to BBC Micro - Recommended Games?", "Best original BBC micro games?", "Most advanced BBC game?", "Worst BBC games ever?", "What BBC Games Were Ported To Other Platforms?" and "What is the Best 8-bit Magazine Type-In Game Ever?"

So I thought I'd start a new one ... ;)

I'll start the ball rolling by saying I was particularly disappointed with the ending for Barbarian, after the time I put in to beat it. The game's ridiculously repetitive and virtually impossible to complete. Beating the practice mode results in a simple message telling you to go on to the Fight to the Death version. When you finally beat all ten warriors in that version, you find there's no big fight with Drax which I'm pretty sure was implemented in the Spectrum version, and presumably the others by Palace. Instead you get a similar short message from Drax saying essentially you can take the princess ... chicken! I felt somewhat short-changed ...

Like Barbarian, Ravenskull is similarly disappointing - giving you just a basic screen with a four word congratulation message. You don't even get that if you manage a full 100% score because you have to die to achieve it, and it also loops around to display just 00%! I didn't feel quite so cheated, tho - at least you came away with a sense of completion.

The lack of endings in Model B Elite and Chuckie Egg I can forgive as they're essentially designed to just keep going (though a message from someone (Galactic Navy?) when you reach Elite might've been nice!).

Despite completing it many times, I can't actually remember the ending for Repton, though I think it just tells you to go through and do it without passwords if you want the competition code. I can't remember if I ever attempted that or not ...

Peter Scott's Pandemonium was another disappointment - again, because of effort put in. The point of the game is to collect all pieces of "the core". I seem to recall finally managing to do it ... and ... nothing. No screen. Game doesn't stop. You just carry on playing until you lose enough energy to die ... unless there was somewhere you were supposed to go, and I'm fairly certain I wandered about quite a bit. Gah.

I did complete Bug Eyes II as it was quite easy if I remember rightly, but I can't remember much about the ending. I seem to think I was expecting it to be good as the quality of the graphics through the game were pretty good, but then being somewhat disappointed (again). I could be wrong about that, though - really can't remember it at all! Ditto for Escape From Moonbase Alpha (tho the graphics for that weren't good - I completed it by hacking the BASIC program, I think!).

Tynesoft's Beverly Hills Cop was stupidly easy. I got to the last level on my first ever go, and after a couple of trial and error attempts at wandering around the 3D maze, I finished it on my third shot at it. The game was fun to play, albeit too easy, but the ending was also just a short text note, I think.

Maybe I was (am) expecting too much, given the resources of the machine, but I always thought that it wouldn't have been that hard to load a nice end screen from disc ...

Does anyone, then, know of any beeb games which actually had a decent ending? Short of the obvious text adventures and educational programs like Granny's Garden and L - A Mathemagical Adventure which tended to finish up the story with appropriate text and/or graphics?

Sam.

Kecske Bak

Re: Discuss: Best and worst beeb game endings?

Post by Kecske Bak » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:05 am

Elixir has quite a nice ending - I've always thought that game was underrated.

charlie

Post by charlie » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:15 am

Thrust I thought was a little disappointing...
I only ever managed to finish it with an emulater and frequent 'save states' - struggled through to the end for what - "I love space" which was for the competition entry i believe

And Exile...
Not so much an ending as just stopping (admittedly the ship does fly off) - but a little bit underwhelming considering the effort in getting there

I've also attached are screenshots from the endings of Imogen, Citadel2 and Repton2 (altho this last one has been manipulated a little, it actually appears jumbled up).
Attachments
thrust.jpg
thrust.jpg (11.63 KiB) Viewed 5000 times
liftoff_.jpg
liftoff_.jpg (75.78 KiB) Viewed 4996 times
imogen.jpg
imogen.jpg (79.01 KiB) Viewed 5007 times
cit2.jpg
cit2.jpg (193.14 KiB) Viewed 4998 times
repton2_.png
repton2_.png (15.52 KiB) Viewed 5004 times

Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:37 pm

Ooh, interesting. I wasn't sure if I should post a screenshot, in case that was considered a spoiler. The Repton 2 one looks interesting - you say it was scrambled, could you show us the original for comparison? What it says about it only being on-screen for 30 seconds is a nightmare! Imagine having finally completed it and then having to do it all over again because your camera wasn't ready!!

I like the Imogen ending too - that's what I meant by expecting a bit more. It doesn't need lots of flashy graphics, but I think a proper end to the story should be the minimum.

Sam.

charlie

Post by charlie » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:16 pm

I actually don't have the unscrambled version, but it was basically the image you see quartered and offset...

The 30 second thing was a joke, it didn't disappear.

timmy

Post by timmy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:07 pm

I remember reading about some some tips how to complete playing Castle Quest, and the last line read 'Now sit back and enjoy the show...' I was so excited having completed and sat back to enjoy to show imagining my Beeb to produce some amazing graphical display or something only to get the message 'Game completed / Game over'. Not even a well done!

But i can quite understand, when you've only got 20k or so to write the game surely using up valuable bits & bytes for fancy endings is a tad wasteful.

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:13 pm

I would of loved an ending for Boffin 1 or 2, but sadly it just gets to a level you cant complete (see thread ages ago) :cry:

Repton3 had a screen ending, if you completed a set with no lives lost.

heres one from me, being ok, and a little tune at end (higher pitch only!), (save states are in misc. -BEEBEM UEF SAVESTATES)

maybe we should upload more!!!!!!!!!! =D>
Attachments
droidEND.JPG
CN:d end
droidEND.JPG (106.42 KiB) Viewed 4903 times
ImageImageImage

Mike Wyatt

Post by Mike Wyatt » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:04 pm

Has anyone managed to complete OddJob?

http://www.mkw.me.uk/beebem/OddJob.ssd

I doubt it - it is a bit tedious after all! It does have a nice ending though, which I spent ages coding up.

To help you get there I'll give you a password to skip direct to Level 8. First load Level 8 and then enter password: YI52X3MM

Mike

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:15 am

Firetrack ending was ok, better than 'yeah done' :|
http://www.stairwaytohell.com/sthforums ... f=1&t=2058
ImageImageImage

AJW

Post by AJW » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:06 pm

Samwise wrote:Ooh, interesting. I wasn't sure if I should post a screenshot, in case that was considered a spoiler. The Repton 2 one looks interesting - you say it was scrambled, could you show us the original for comparison? What it says about it only being on-screen for 30 seconds is a nightmare! Imagine having finally completed it and then having to do it all over again because your camera wasn't ready!!

I like the Imogen ending too - that's what I meant by expecting a bit more. It doesn't need lots of flashy graphics, but I think a proper end to the story should be the minimum.

Sam.

I'd certainly be interested in screenshots, there's so many I never completed.

charlie

Post by charlie » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:10 pm

@Mike -- well the gauntlet was well and truly thrown down there.
What an absolute pig of a game: really, really tough! (Or, maybe my aging fingers aren't nimble enough)
Anyway, nice to see the ending of a game I hadn't played before...
Attachments
oddjob.png
oddjob.png (6.43 KiB) Viewed 4769 times

charlie

Post by charlie » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:15 pm

Stryker's Run had a very poor ending, you just literally ended up back at the starting point. I thought I had a piccy of it somewhere but apparently not.
Last edited by charlie on Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

charlie

Post by charlie » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:12 pm

Citadel has quite a fun ending, with sound effects and a kind of randomised pixel animation (to represent the starport being destroyed.)
Attachments
Picture 9.png
Picture 9.png (7.52 KiB) Viewed 4712 times
Picture 10.png
Picture 10.png (7.22 KiB) Viewed 4709 times

Rhys

Post by Rhys » Wed May 13, 2009 4:32 pm

Ravenskull is similarly disappointing - giving you just a basic screen with a four word congratulation message. You don't even get that if you manage a full 100% score because you have to die to achieve it, and it also loops around to display just 00%! I didn't feel quite so cheated, tho - at least you came away with a sense of completion.
What I found most irritating about the Ravenskull ending: You spend all this time trying to unite the 4 pieces of the crucifix. It even sits on your status screen, tantalising you in its incompleteness for the entire game. Then when you complete the game the last piece is NOT added to the crucifix. All you see is the 1st three pieces you already had! That's some lazy programming!

Hi! By the way I'm new!
REPTON 2 IS ENDED

Dave Footitt

Post by Dave Footitt » Thu May 14, 2009 9:31 am

Rhys wrote: What I found most irritating about the Ravenskull ending: You spend all this time trying to unite the 4 pieces of the crucifix. It even sits on your status screen, tantalising you in its incompleteness for the entire game. Then when you complete the game the last piece is NOT added to the crucifix. All you see is the 1st three pieces you already had! That's some lazy programming!
Haha no way, that is awful, schoolboy error :)
Hi! By the way I'm new!
Welcome!

billcarr2005

Ricochet

Post by billcarr2005 » Thu May 14, 2009 6:36 pm

Ricochet doesn't have a bad ending... after all, it's the journey - not the destination!
Attachments
Ricochet-End1.png
Ricochet End Screen 1
Ricochet-End1.png (3.6 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
Ricochet-End2.png
Ricochet End Screen 2
Ricochet-End2.png (3.63 KiB) Viewed 4458 times
Ricochet-End3.png
Ricochet End Screen 3
Ricochet-End3.png (3.24 KiB) Viewed 4454 times

AJW

Post by AJW » Fri May 15, 2009 8:44 pm

Thanks for that, that's something I don't think I'd ever see otherwise!

HAs anybody ever completed any of the Peter Scott games like Predator, Hostages etc? What about really advanced cities in Sim City?

Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise » Fri May 15, 2009 8:52 pm

Rhys wrote:What I found most irritating about the Ravenskull ending: You spend all this time trying to unite the 4 pieces of the crucifix. It even sits on your status screen, tantalising you in its incompleteness for the entire game. Then when you complete the game the last piece is NOT added to the crucifix. All you see is the 1st three pieces you already had! That's some lazy programming!
Ahh, I beg to differ - it does show you the complete crucifix on the final screen. I think you'll probably find that you died somewhere along the way. All four levels in Ravenskull have to be completed in sequence, without you losing a life in order to see the final screen which was required to enter Superior Software's original competition ...

Not too difficult these days, with an emulator - but I remember achieving it was pretty challenging on an original beeb ...
Rhys wrote:Hi! By the way I'm new!
We bid you welcome ... ;)
billcarr2005 wrote:Ricochet doesn't have a bad ending... after all, it's the journey - not the destination!
Now that looks like an ending worth playing through for!

Sam.

ivor_the_injun

Post by ivor_the_injun » Sun May 17, 2009 6:30 pm

charlie wrote:Stryker's Run had a very poor ending, you just literally ended up back at the starting point. I thought I had a piccy of it somewhere but apparently not.
Is the Beeb version was the same as the Electron? Now I think about it I've only played it on the Elk.

Unless it's vastly superior on the Beeb and Master, that's one game I always thought was hideously overrated. Very repetitive, very easy, and it really was a very underwhelming ending too if I remember rightly.

retro_junkie

Post by retro_junkie » Sun May 17, 2009 10:39 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:Is the Beeb version was the same as the Electron? Now I think about it I've only played it on the Elk.

Unless it's vastly superior on the Beeb and Master, that's one game I always thought was hideously overrated. Very repetitive, very easy, and it really was a very underwhelming ending too if I remember rightly.
It is one of the best looking games but in screenshots only! I had kind of assumed it was the electron's fault that it was all flickery and slow as well but no... it's like that on the beeb!

Codename Droid is a MUCH better game (but isn't as pretty).

Rhys

Post by Rhys » Mon May 18, 2009 7:37 am

Samwise wrote: Ahh, I beg to differ - it does show you the complete crucifix on the final screen. I think you'll probably find that you died somewhere along the way. All four levels in Ravenskull have to be completed in sequence, without you losing a life in order to see the final screen which was required to enter Superior Software's original competition ...
You mean I have to do it all over again? [whistful sigh] A little irritating as I tend to value these games for the puzzle solving aspects, rather than the speed and agility challenges. That said I did manage to complete Repton without losing a life recently (the number of test rins of Giant Clam I had to do in preparation ... shudder) so I will persevere if it's a game I love. I wish the controlls for Ravenskull (and Pipeline) were as smooth as they are for Repton!

Thanks, in any event, for the tip! That's next on my to do list then, after I complete Pipeline. At the moment I'm stuck on level 4! Praise be technology for saved states! I only worked out the other day that my emulator could do those. I know technically it's cheating, but at leat it means I can turn my poor computer off once in a while!
REPTON 2 IS ENDED

Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise » Mon May 18, 2009 10:22 am

Rhys wrote:You mean I have to do it all over again?
Not if you don't mind missing out on seeing the full crucifix ... ;)
Rhys wrote:[whistful sigh] A little irritating as I tend to value these games for the puzzle solving aspects, rather than the speed and agility challenges. That said I did manage to complete Repton without losing a life recently (the number of test rins of Giant Clam I had to do in preparation ... shudder) so I will persevere if it's a game I love.
But the action parts are just as much part of the game ... and there aren't that many of them in the original game.
Rhys wrote:I wish the controlls for Ravenskull (and Pipeline) were as smooth as they are for Repton!
Can't say I've ever had any complaints about the controls. What do you find wrong with them?
Rhys wrote:Thanks, in any event, for the tip! That's next on my to do list then, after I complete Pipeline. At the moment I'm stuck on level 4! Praise be technology for saved states! I only worked out the other day that my emulator could do those. I know technically it's cheating, but at leat it means I can turn my poor computer off once in a while!
No problem. I would post a screenshot, but I get the feeling you'd prefer it more to be a part of the special club who has made it through to the end. :) If you need any help with it, gimme a shout - I have a walkthrough I haven't got round to publishing yet that I can share. It's more comprehensive than the other ones online.

Sam.

Rhys

Post by Rhys » Tue May 19, 2009 10:43 am

Samwise Wrote: Can't say I've ever had any complaints about the controls. What do you find wrong with them?
Hmm, hard to describe ... Almost worthey of a separate thread, but here goes: It has something to do with the way Left/Right and Up/Down keys interact. In Repton (incl. sequels and clones) if you are going left (for example) and you press up at the same time Repton will only move up if this is possible, otherwise he will carry on going left. If you attempt the same thing in Ravenskull/Pipeline, the character will stop and attempt, unsuccessfully, to walk into the wall. This a major problem when running away from an enemy. If you try to change direction before it is possible to do so, you merely stop and get hit by the flame/bee. While in Repton you can press, say the left key, in anticipation of the junction and he'll go smoothly round the corner when he gets to it.

This means that in ravenskull/pipeline you have to be that much more precise when on the run, as the controlls are less forgiving. For me it feels like the difference between remote controlling your character or being him.

Also (particularly in pipeline) the keys are so sensitive that you sometimes move two spaces even at the tinyest flick of the key.
I would post a screenshot, but I get the feeling you'd prefer it more to be a part of the special club who has made it through to the end.

Pretty much. That said, I've been stuck on level4 for years now, this is my third major attempt! So we'll see whether my patience holds out. At least with saved state I can leave it and come back without having to trawl through levels1-3. Wish me luck!
REPTON 2 IS ENDED

Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise » Tue May 19, 2009 1:11 pm

Rhys wrote:This means that in ravenskull/pipeline you have to be that much more precise when on the run, as the controlls are less forgiving. For me it feels like the difference between remote controlling your character or being him.
Think you're reading quite a lot into it there. I think they just wanted to make sure the few arcade bits in the game, really were challenging. :)
Rhys wrote:Also (particularly in pipeline) the keys are so sensitive that you sometimes move two spaces even at the tinyest flick of the key.
I'd agree with that - people often struggle with the first Ravenbee on Level 1 of Ravenskull but, like docking in Elite, it's there to separate the men from the boys. :)
Rhys wrote:Pretty much. That said, I've been stuck on level4 for years now, this is my third major attempt! So we'll see whether my patience holds out. At least with saved state I can leave it and come back without having to trawl through levels1-3. Wish me luck!
I don't remember Level 4 being much worse than say Level 3 ... do shout if you struggle. Like I said, I have a very handy walkthrough - the only one that can guarantee to get you a 100% score. :) Yep, the save states are very handy - I remember it took me a very long time to complete it properly in my youth on a real beeb and I knew the game backwards at the time ...

If you have the PC version of Ravenskull, you may want to consider practicing with that - then you can submit your score when you finish to the Ravenskull Hall of Fame.

Sam.

PeterScott

Post by PeterScott » Tue May 19, 2009 2:03 pm

Interesting reading all this, and I have to hold my hand up and say my games didn't have the best endings ever. The trouble was always memory. Do you put aside a lot of spare memory for a great finish that not many people will see, or do you use that to make the graphics and gameplay a bit better for the majority of players?

Arguments for both, but as someone who was generally a bit rubbish at games I went with the latter, as that's what I liked.

Oh, and the best, most playable game ever, Chuckie Egg (DUCKS AS PEOPLE THROW THINGS) didn't have an ending at all. My fave iPhone game, MiZoo, is the same.

Someone asked why, at the end of Barbarian, you didn't get to fight the evil big baddie. Well, (a) I ran out of time; (b) I ran out of memory; and (c) I'd never even seen Drax as I didn't have a cheat for the game, Palace only sent a disc of the C64 version and nothing else, and as I just said, I was rubbish at it.

Lots of the later conversions - Sim City being the exception - were made from playing the game a bit, cheating if possible, copying screen designs from C&VG or other mags who printed maps... as we simply got the rights and nothing else. No source code, designs, backgrounds, algorithms, maps, cheats.. nothing. Occasionally I didn't even get a copy of the game, I had to go out and buy it!

Mind you, I think Pandemonium had an end thing when you got all the bits of the core. I did write it over 25 years ago so not 100% sure...

Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise » Tue May 19, 2009 2:37 pm

Hi, Peter.

Think most of the whiny posts might have been mine. Oops. :oops:

Your games were, of course, fab - and I can completely understand about the trade-off with memory. The bog-standard beeb was always limited in that regard. Given the general difficulty with most games back then, I can easily see why it was probably not worth trying to cater for those few who'd managed to reach the end - heck, even with emulators I still struggle with getting very far with most of 'em. :)

Won't argue with you about Chuckie Egg ... heh

Ah, so it /was/ you that wrote Barbarian for the beeb! I wasn't sure as it's credited to Dylan in the game. Interesting to read that they didn't give you any info about the Drax ending on the Spectrum - I'm sure it would've looked much better on the beeb, as the graphics for the rest of the game were far superior! Hope you don't take the criticism to heart - you'll notice it's a game I've been playing on and off for 20 years. It's bloody hard! :) You can see the Spectrum ending with the fight with Drax that I was expecting here on YouTube and the similar C64 version with not quite as good final graphic, but with a superb additional ending quotation from the Princess here. The C64 ending is great, which is probably what built up my expectations for a fab beeb ending. :)

My Pandemonium recollection, I confess, was based off memories from when I finished it as a kid. I'll take your word for it that there was some sort of ending. Maybe one day I'll try and play through it again, but I do remember it being quite a tricky one to get through, even when I had collected all the telephone numbers!

Sam.

AJW

Post by AJW » Tue May 19, 2009 6:36 pm

So what was the ending to Barbarian just text? I always expected Drax to come down myself. Amazing graphics.

Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise » Tue May 19, 2009 7:32 pm

Like this:
BarbarianBBCMicroEndScreen.png
BBC Micro Barbarian Superior Software/Palace Software End Screen
BarbarianBBCMicroEndScreen.png (41.03 KiB) Viewed 4125 times
I've blanked out the competition code for anyone who wants to play it through themselves.

The message isn't quite as suggestive as the C64 version, but it's the Spectrum final graphics which are ... *tssst* ... hot! =D>

Sam.

Rhys

Post by Rhys » Tue May 19, 2009 8:58 pm

Samwise wrote: I don't remember Level 4 being much worse than say Level 3 ... do shout if you struggle. Like I said, I have a very handy walkthrough - the only one that can guarantee to get you a 100% score.
OK Help!

But first, figuring that I ought to give some concession to the topic, here's my opinion of the endings of some games:

I think my favourite ending is Repton 2 because it starts out before the game has even ended. You get to spell out the end message yourself (though you have to walk left and right to see it in its full length). Then the finishing character does that cool transporter thing and you get a unique message (though the one I encountered was different from the one posted by charile - similar, but no mention of 30 Seconds).

I think Caveman capers has a funny ending: Him just skating towards a phone box and falling over ... Simple but effective as is Jet Set Willy being sick or whatever in the toilet.

Now on to the ending of Pipeline, which I intend to see for myself at some point. As before I am stuck on level4. Well and truly stuck. Stuck in the "I've tried everything except (obviously) for the one thing that I'm meant to do - but I don't know what" sense!

I'm not (at this point) asking for a walk-through, just the tinyest of hints.
OK: If you remember, the number of sulphur drums required on level 4 starts out being quite low, and when you've collected all the drums in the areas you have access to, it resets itself. At this point the character does his little pirouette thing and one of the obstacles (that I'm aware of) dissapears. After that there seems to be nothing else to do. The only pipe exposed by the removal of the obstacle leads back to an area I already had access to and nothing else seems to have changed, none of the remotes work on ANY of the walls/barriers/deadlies and no new pipes have been exposed.

All I want to know is: am I missing something REALLY obvious? Or does the solution lie in something I didn't do BEFORE the collectables requirement reset itself?
REPTON 2 IS ENDED

Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise » Tue May 19, 2009 9:13 pm

I think we crossed wires. :? I never got that far with Pipeline ... my walkthrough's for Ravenskull!

You could start a new thread and upload a BeebEm save state (or passwords if it uses them). There are others here who might like a crack at it ...

Sam.