Action games an average person can likely complete

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

Adam James

Post by Adam James » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:00 am

I'd like to build up a list of action games of the sort that have a beginning and an end, like Manic Miner or Vindaloo or (I presume) Exile.

I'd like to limit the list to just those games which I can likely complete, without saving state, and on a real machine, not an emulator.

Where I'm coming from is... my experience of playing Manic Miner as a kid was that it was enthralling and addictive and ... after putting in a horrific number of hours, I only ever got to level 16. And I was playing the Oric version, so that was only half-way through its 32 screens! With hindsight, it now seems that very few people completed a game like that.

So no Manic Miners on this list, unless there is a version with infinite lives. I don't object to infinite life cheats, after recently using one on Vindaloo - I still haven't completed it and it's still a fun challenge even with such a cheat! But that's the only type of cheat, for me, that still allows a game to be enjoyable - you still need to practice, improve, and learn for each screen.

Clearly people will have different abilities at action games, but still, if anyone would like to share BBC action games that they have completed as intended, or with an infinite life cheat, I'd be very interested to hear!

Edit: I'll maintain the list here. If I miss something you post please shout out!

Suggestions so far, with reasons...

Note: To find solutions and maps, try here:
https://www.stairwaytohell.com/gamehelp/index.html
...and to find altered games, try here:
https://www.stairwaytohell.com/cheats/index.html

Games that can probably be completed as-is, though sometimes with the help of maps/solutions:
Storm Cycle
Sabre Wulf (map used)
Plan B 2 (map and solution used, see also here)
Plan B (since it is rated less difficult than Plan B)

Games with in-built save features:
Exile
Imogen (not really an action game?)

Games with password systems built-in:
Repton
Repton 3
Repton Infinity
Repton Thru Time
Repton - Around the World in 40 Screens
Repton - The Life of Repton
Repton - The Lost Realms
Bonecruncher
Pipeline
Perplexity

Games that have some other sort of mechanism to avoid repetition of earlier levels:
Codename Droid ("Depth Jump" option)
Ravenskull (can start a game at a previously-reached level)

Games with in-built adjusters:
Hobgoblin (pause, then ctrl-l to add a life)
Hobgoblin 2 (press B,O,U together for extra lives)
Wizzy's Mansion: (type "like a virgin" with spaces during game for infinite lives)

Games with pre-made altered versions:
Alien8
New Blagger
Boffin
Bone Cruncher
Boulderdash
Bounty Bob Strikes Back
Breakthrough
Castle Quest
ChuckieEgg
ChuckieEgg2
Citadel
Codename Droid
Commando
Creepy Cave
Cybertron Mission
Demolator
Elixir
Ewgeebez
Frak
Ghouls
Gisburnes Castle
Green Beret
Hobgoblin
Hobgoblin 2
JetPac
Jet Set Willy 2
Killer Gorilla
Kissin Cousins
Knightlore
Labyrinth
Last Ninja
Lunar Jetman
Manic Miner
Monsters
Mr Ee!
Mr Wiz
Network
Palace of Magic
Pandemonium
Perplexity
Pharaoh's Curse
Quest
Ravenskull
Ricochet
Rocket Raid (not sure if this game has an end?)
Rubble Trouble
Sabre Wulf (but Lardo has completed the original version)
Shark
Sim
Spycat
Spy Hunter
Starship Command (not sure if this game has an end?)
Tarzan Boy
Templeton
The Pyramid
Thrust (this game doesn't really have an end as such, but 6 levels?)
Thunderstruck 2
Uncle Claude
Vertigo
Vindaloo (a personal favourite, thanks to billcarr2005 get infinite lives AND level skip version here: viewtopic.php?p=279499#p279499)
Warehouse
Who Dares Wins 2
Wizadore
Yoyo
Ziggy
Last edited by Adam James on Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:30 pm, edited 8 times in total.

VectorEyes

Re: Action games an average person can likely complete

Post by VectorEyes » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:30 am

I think I completed Storm Cycle on my second playthrough, but that says more about the easy nature of the game than about my game-playing prowess!

Regarding Exile, it's really more of an action adventure... as such it's designed to let you save the state, reload, think about the puzzles, try things, fail multiple times, come back and try again, perhaps run out of energy on the first few attempts before you work out how to recharge, etc...

It very much does have a beginning, middle and endgame with a clear win condition though!

A good one might be Stryker's Run 2: Codename Droid? I recall that one being a combination of action and puzzling, which I managed several times to get to the end of only to fail to be given the endgame screen, I think because I had lost a life before I reached the end. It's a great game though.

Marvin

Post by Marvin » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:41 am

Adam James wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:00 am
I'd like to build up a list of action games of the sort that have a beginning and an end, like Manic Miner or Vindaloo or (I presume) Exile.

I'd like to limit the list to just those games which I can likely complete, without saving state, and on a real machine, not an emulator.

Where I'm coming from is... my experience of playing Manic Miner as a kid was that it was enthralling and addictive and ... after putting in a horrific number of hours, I only ever got to level 16. And I was playing the Oric version, so that was only half-way through its 32 screens! With hindsight, it now seems that very few people completed a game like that.

So no Manic Miners on this list, unless there is a version with infinite lives. I don't object to infinite life cheats, after recently using one on Vindaloo - I still haven't completed it and it's still a fun challenge even with such a cheat! But that's the only type of cheat, for me, that still allows a game to be enjoyable - you still need to practice, improve, and learn for each screen.

Clearly people will have different abilities at action games, but still, if anyone would like to share BBC action games that they have completed as intended, or with an infinite life cheat, I'd be very interested to hear!
One of my all time favourites has to be Codename Droid (Styker's Run Part II) which in my opinion is a far superior to the original Stryker's Run.

What I love about it is that it doesn't have to be hectic, sure some bits of it are really timing critical but a lot of it is about puzzle solving, exploring and planning ahead. A lot of the guards can be killed without you endangering yourself at all if you think about it carefully.

Also it has the "Depth Jump" option so once you've completed a section you can bypass it from the main menu when you start again after been killed. Once you've mastered all the sections then comes the task of completing a perfect run without using the "Depth Jump" option to finish the game.

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:11 am

I've been playing since the late 1970s and I have hardly ever finished any game.

I think Doom II and maybe one of the Quakes ... but that's about it. Thought I'd finish Mario Odyssey on the Switch but after two "end" sequences there seems to be yet more to do.

Don't think I've ever finished an 8-bit or 16-bit title ... Radiofin, NES, Master System, BBC B, Megadrive, SNES, Atari ST, etc. N64, Gamecube, Switch.
Arcades.

Love playing them, and spent hours with Elite and on Mario games.

Adventure games ... hmmm, get too easily frustrated.

What is "an average person" because I'm well below average! :oops:

Naomasa298

Post by Naomasa298 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:19 am

I finished a few console games BITD. The original Super Mario, Ninja Ryukenden (aka Ninja Gaiden) 1 & 2 and Rockman (aka Megaman). I don't think I ever completed any Beeb actopm games though. Completed a few Level 9 adventures - Snowball and Erik the Vikinng spring to mind.

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:22 am

Oh, yes, I did finish ONE of the Megaman (NES) titles - either 1 or 2. Think they are up to well over 10 (X) by now?

EDIT: and Resident Evil 2 on PS, but I'm a bit off-topic! :-# Don't worry my list of completed games is VERY short!

Naomasa298

Post by Naomasa298 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:28 am

I did get to something like 14th dan in Way of the Exploding Fist, and then got bored. I figured out how to win every bout in a single move (forward jump then punch as soon as the match starts).

Adam James

Post by Adam James » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:22 am

Thanks everyone so far. I've started a list in the first post.

It occurs to me that *any* action game with a save feature built in, or a password feature such as in the Repton games, should make the list. If people can think of which games have those please let me know.

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:28 am

I completed Sabre Wulf BITD. Being young and having a lot of time I more or less memorised the map. It can be done without save state but a map will definitely help!
Adventure Language on GitHub
Atom, issue 5
Elk
A number of econetted (is that a word?) Beebs
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc, econet, NULA

Adam James

Post by Adam James » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:16 pm

List updated, thank you:)

I've also just had a quick look at which Repton titles have a password system and added all the ones that do. It seems that Repton 2 and Repton Infinity don't.

If anybody spots any mistakes, or has found that even a game with passwords is too difficult, or that e.g. Repton 2 is quite doable without passwords, please let it be known!

davidb

Post by davidb » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:32 pm

Repton Infinity has passwords.

Adam James

Post by Adam James » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:57 pm

davidb wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:32 pm
Repton Infinity has passwords.
I'll add it to the list, thanks.

I think I'm having a particularly thick moment, it's just taken me a while to work out how passwords work for that game, and I'm still a bit confused.

I noticed that if I ask to load part 2, then I get asked for a password. But if I ask to start part 1, I don't see how to enter a password. In spite of the fact that, this time, I realised I could see a list of passwords by pressing 'P' on the title screen. There seem to be passwords for e.g. part 1-2, but I don't see how to enter them?

Adam James

Post by Adam James » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:20 pm

I've been browsing through the excellent resource at https://www.stairwaytohell.com/cheats/index.html.

I've tested out the games with in-built hidden key presses for infinite lives etc. Surprisingly few worked but I added the 3 that worked for me in a separate section in the original post.

I've also gone through all the titles listed in the 'Ready Trained' section, and found the games there which appear to be of the sort with a beginning and and end, and added their names to a separate section in the original post. I loaded the original versions online at www.bbcmicro.co.uk to quickly check what sort of games they were. I haven't tried all the adjusted versions, so I'm not 100% sure they are of any use.

Edit: I make that now 78 games which people can have the satisfaction of completing on an original BBC so long as they are comfortable with tweeking the originals. One way of seeing it is that, even if you try to complete the original first, at least you know if it becomes appallingly time consuming or difficult, you can fall back to an adjusted version so you'll have the satisfaction of seeing it through to the end!

sydney

Post by sydney » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:47 pm

I'll mention Plan B 2 (and probably Plan B too!) as I managed to complete it and I'm probably an average (abilty) game player. I took time, a map and a solution but I got there in the end. I've not really played Plan B much but I've read that it's easier than PlanB 2.
I get the feeling many games can be completed by someone who enjoys playing it enough to put the effort into learning how to complete it.

EDIT: Link to Plan B 2 solution(map @ sth)

jms2

Post by jms2 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:58 pm

Bonecruncher, Pipeline and Perplexity all have passwords. Ravenskull has some kind of level skip system.

Adam James

Post by Adam James » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:08 pm

Great, list updated and restructured. Thanks!

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:41 pm

There's a BBC game that I did finish - but already on your list and as you've put - not really "action" as such ...

Adam James

Post by Adam James » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:11 am

richardtoohey wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:41 pm
There's a BBC game that I did finish - but already on your list and as you've put - not really "action" as such ...

Ha! I wasn't quite sure whether to include it, and it made me wonder what I was thinking when I wrote "action" games! There's probably a much better way to describe the sort of games I am looking for.

But I feel it belongs on the list because (a) it looks like an excellent game with an actual ending attainable by most people, and (b) you do have to press the right buttons at the right time, even if you can go away and make a cup of tea before deciding to jump from one platform to another!

Adam James

Post by Adam James » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:18 am

lurkio wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:06 am
Inevitably, Sim:
:?:
Just watched a few seconds of the video, so as not to spoil it. That looks a good game.

From your comments in the other threads though, not sure where to place it. Do you think it belongs on the "probably doable as is" list or the "use the infinite life hack" list?

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:21 am

Adam James wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:18 am
From your comments in the other threads though, not sure where to place it. Do you think it belongs on the "probably doable as is" list or the "use the infinite life hack" list?
It's definitely a case of "use the infinite-life hack" as far as I'm concerned!

:oops: :)

Adam James

Post by Adam James » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:24 am

lurkio wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:21 am
It's definitely a case of "use the infinite-life hack" as far as I'm concerned!

:oops: :)
Haha! Then there it shall go! Thanks:)

Marvin

Post by Marvin » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:12 am

sydney wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:47 pm
I'll mention Plan B 2 (and probably Plan B too!) as I managed to complete it and I'm probably an average (abilty) game player. I took time, a map and a solution but I got there in the end. I've not really played Plan B much but I've read that it's easier than PlanB 2
Plan B was one of the games I competed many times back in the day as I really enjoyed playing it, but I never enjoyed playing Plan B2 as much for some unknown reason.

I created a map of Plan B by using Dumpout3 Rom to print each screen on my dot-matrix as I visited it, then pasted all the printouts together, the resultant map was massive, it took up all of one wall of my bedroom, I also started a map for Plan B2 but never bothered finishing it or the game.

sydney

Post by sydney » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:05 am

Marvin wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:12 am
I created a map of Plan B by using Dumpout3 Rom to print each screen on my dot-matrix as I visited it, then pasted all the printouts together, the resultant map was massive, it took up all of one wall of my bedroom, I also started a map for Plan B2 but never bothered finishing it or the game.
I've started making maps for a couple of games using an emulator and print screen to capture each screen but I usually lack the motivation to finish it.
If you are bored and have a spare 20 minutes I uploaded a video of me completing Plan B 2 to YouTube here:
https://youtu.be/j5tzPL2KcSQ .

Adam James

Post by Adam James » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:37 pm

Blow me down, after making a request for either an infinite-lives or level-skip version of Vindaloo in another thread, the next day billcarr2005 has only gone and done both! I've now been able to add one of my favourite games to this list.

I managed to complete Vindaloo by saving state using a Replay device to practice levels on a real BBC, and now I think it's a realistic goal for everyone since they can practice levels without any special hardware on their BBC. Thanks billcarr2005!

See Vindaloo in the list for a link to the post where billcarr2005 has attached his magic version as a disc image.

colinhoad

Post by colinhoad » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:52 pm

richardtoohey wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:11 am
I've been playing since the late 1970s and I have hardly ever finished any game.

I think Doom II and maybe one of the Quakes ... but that's about it. Thought I'd finish Mario Odyssey on the Switch but after two "end" sequences there seems to be yet more to do.
I very much identify with this, Richard! 1980s in my case, but the list of games I've ever actually completed runs very short. On the Beeb, probably only Imogen (more recently Stryker's Run, but only through a judicious use of save states...) that I can recall. Elsewhere, I remember completing the original Half-Life, although I still haven't finished Half-Life 2 all these years later. I only ever completed Doom II by using cheat codes! On the Gameboy, I did complete Super Mario Land 2, and I've "won" a few games of Civilization, if that counts. In general, though, I play for enjoyment and immersion, and lack the staying power or commitment to see games through to the end in most cases!

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”