PC emulator and key mapping for games

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

nicedave29

PC emulator and key mapping for games

Post by nicedave29 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:53 am

Hi - I've recently used BeebEm and been able to enjoy some of the old favourites thanks to the wonderful archive that's been formed, including the wonderfully addictive and simple 'Maze Trap' that, I think, was a Beebug game I used to enjoy.
However, I have no idea how to play games - such as personal favourites Wallaby and Felix + Evil Weevils - that use keys such as '*' which aren't in the same place and I can't find any other key that replicates the 'Up' movement.
I've heard key mapping mentioned as an answer but as a non-techy sort of person, is there an easy way of working it out?
Thanks!

dv8

Re: PC emulator and key mapping for games

Post by dv8 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:14 am

Emulators typically use a positional keyboard layout, that is the keys are mapped so they are in the same relative positions as they would be on the real hardware.

If you look at a photo of a beeb keyboard you will see that the |* :| key is immediately up and to the right of the |? /| key.
On a PC keyboard the key in this position is |@ '| (UK layout) or |" '| (US layout).

nicedave29

Post by nicedave29 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:41 am

That's what I reckoned - but sadly, none of the keys seem to have the desired effect. Has anyone managed to overcome the problem on Wallaby, Felix etc.?

dv8

Post by dv8 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:40 am

I've tried those games (from bbcmicro.co.uk) and they work fine using @ for up.
I'm using BeebEm on Windows, with the setting Options > Default keyboard mapping turned on.

nicedave29

Post by nicedave29 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:31 pm

Ah, thank you - I had it on 'logical' rather than 'default' for some reason and that's fixed it!