Mystery of the missing Exile mail-in cards

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

scarybeasts

Mystery of the missing Exile mail-in cards

Post by scarybeasts » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:42 am

Hi,

I came across an interesting bit of history while collecting a few original BBC / Electron Exile boxes. Most of them are missing the mail-in blue cards, as seen in these images:
exile_cards1.jpg
exile_cards1.jpg
I put it down to them being easy to lose, or everyone mailing in for the clues sheet (but perhaps not the Exile World Champion Competition ;-) but then I received a box where the instruction manual has a different revision for page 8! Image:
IMG_20180516_222244.jpg
Very interesting, it appears that the scarcity of these cards is because a bunch of boxes were shipped with them missing. A few people I've talked to about this are 100% sure that their copies did not include these cards.

Sounds like some real drama behind the scenes back in 1988 ;-)

Cheers
Chris

Kecske Bak

Re: Mystery of the missing Exile mail-in cards

Post by Kecske Bak » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:54 am

I never got mail-in cards with Repton Infinity or Exile. I'd ordered the games from Impact Posters before it they were released released. Superior put an article in "The Micro User" saying some early copies were released without cards and to contact them if you hadn't received a one - I did, and never heard anything in reply. It was the only time in 33 years I was ever disappointed with the service I got from Superior, every other time they went above and beyond the call of duty - so all in all they have a pretty stellar record!

davidb

Post by davidb » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:16 pm

I'd have to go back and look in my Exile manual but the "Important Message" looks familiar. I don't remember either of the blue cards so perhaps I never got them, though I would imagine that most people would only ever have needed one of them. ;)

In terms of service, I'm sure Superior were second-to-none. In terms of product quality, I think that Repton Infinity was the only game they produced that really disappointed me - on the Electron, of course - the Beeb got a proper release as usual. :roll:

joachim

Post by joachim » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:27 pm

I certainly didn't get these cards with either of my Exiles, one of which came free with a year's subscription to Micro User. (The other was second-hand so it's not conclusive.)

I did get mail-in cards with my Repton Infinity, which came either from Impact Games or another discount mail-order company.

trixster

Post by trixster » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:02 pm

I’ve just checked my versions of Exile. My disc version which I bought in ‘88 does not have the Important Message on page 8 and I’m certain it never came with the two blue cards.

My Beeb / Electron cassette version does have the Important Message on page 8 and does have the two blue cards!

My second disc copy which i bought recently from Lardo Boffin sadly does not have the manual and does not have the cards, but does have the map and hint sheet (which might or might not be originals!).

How very strange.
A3020 | A3000 | A420/1 | BBC B + 128K RAM/ROM + 20K Shadow + Pi0 + VideoNuLA
Master Turbo + DC + BeebSID | Atom | A4000 060 | A3000 060 | A1200 060 | A500
Atari Falcon 060 | Saturn | PS1 | SNES | CPC6128 | C64 | 3DO | MD | Jaguar

Kevin Edwards

Post by Kevin Edwards » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:56 am

Yes, i received both cards in my copy.
exline_cards_small.JPG

scarybeasts

Post by scarybeasts » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:35 am

Hi Kevin,

Nice -- you've taken good care of this copy!

BTW, super co-incidental but as your reply came in, I was using Galaforce as a test case for a new pointless but fun emulator that translates 6502 -> x64 on the fly, just to see what happens if you clock a 6502 at 2Ghz+ :)

As you can see, I seem to have a bug to look into.
galaforce.png
BTW, super random question but do you recall why your main sprite plot routine at $B00 ends up writing to ROM addresses the first few times through? e.g. $C039. (This happens in b-em too so it's not my bug this time :)

Cheers
Chris

DaveBurke

Post by DaveBurke » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:26 pm

Intriguingly, mine has a big sticker over that bit:
IMG_20180912_172216.jpg
You can see where a curious teenage me had tried to remove it, before giving up.

(I had no cards in my copy).
Last edited by DaveBurke on Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.