Nightmare Park (1983)

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

lurkio

Nightmare Park (1983)

Post by lurkio » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:03 am

When I made fun of the game Forest Of Doom in an earlier thread, I didn't realise it was part of a minor tradition of games of its ilk. I thought it was just a strange one-off: a series of simple but often impossible mini-games that had been stitched together with the conceit that you had to win them all to get from one end of an ASCII-art forest to the other. If you lose even one of the dozens of games that stand between you and your goal, you're sent back to the beginning and have to start all over again! And many of the so-called games are entirely random, and you have absolutely no control over the outcome! Maddening.

But, as Lee pointed out, Forest Of Doom might have been "inspired by" the earlier Nightmare Park, by one Paul Vigay.

And Nightmare Park was itself "a conversion of the earlier Commodore PET game" from 1980.

1.png
Nightmare Park by Paul Vigay

Forest Of Doom and Vigay's Nightmare Park have now been grouped together on bbcmicro.co.uk. They're joined by yet another remake, Nitemare Park, which is just as impossible to beat as Forest Of Doom.

But Vigay's version -- which is distinguished by using only MODE 7 -- seems to be slightly more forgiving, and it actually let me win. Once.

1 09.45.38.png
Screenshot grabbed while my name was flashing off. Curse you, Nightmare Paaaaark!

:idea:
Last edited by lurkio on Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:41 am, edited 6 times in total.

leenew

Re: Nightmare Park (1983)

Post by leenew » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:55 am

The original by Bob Chappell, has the distinction of being the first computer game I ever played.
By that I mean a game I played on an actual computer, not in the arcades, and not a console or pong machine.
As well as having a Research machines 380Z, our school had a Commodore PET 2001.
PET.jpg
That's what a computer should look like!
*Pity about the absolutely awful keyboard though!

Lee.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:49 pm

leenew wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:55 am
The original by Bob Chappell, has the distinction of being the first computer game I ever played. By that I mean a game I played on an actual computer, not in the arcades, and not a console or pong machine. As well as having a Research machines 380Z, our school had a Commodore PET 2001.
Loving the pointy trapezoidal stylings of the PET monitor!

I wonder what gave Chappell the original idea for the unending torment that is Nightmare Park?

:idea:
Last edited by lurkio on Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leenew

Post by leenew » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:07 pm

Dunno.
Apparently, people have searched for him to ask such questions, but to no avail.....

Lee.

JohnH

Post by JohnH » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:41 am

I loved it so much on the Pet that I had to make a conversion for the Beeb. Yep, Nitemare Park is mine. In my defence I was only 13 when I wrote it and couldn't quite recall all the different mini-games in Nightmare Park.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:42 pm

JohnH wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:41 am
I loved it so much on the Pet that I had to make a conversion for the Beeb. Yep, Nitemare Park is mine. In my defence I was only 13 when I wrote it and couldn't quite recall all the different mini-games in Nightmare Park.

Aha! Now I know who to blame! :)

But seriously, thanks for posting. I only had a couple of goes on your game but it seemed just as difficult to beat as Forest Of Doom, which I spent far too much time on back in the day. But I guess you were trying to copy the Pet version as closely as possible?

Did you ever see Paul Vigay's version?

:?:
Last edited by lurkio on Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

JohnH

Post by JohnH » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:07 pm

Hi Lurkio,

I never saw Paul's version back in the day, if I had I probably wouldn't have bothered with mine :-) as I did/do love mode 7 games.

TBH I wasn't a big fan of all the hail of barbs type games where you couldn't win by skill or by playing the odds (or having them at least a little bit in your favour, ie 1 in 3 chance of a lion) but I put them in anyway to try to be as close to what I'd seen as I could remember.

Thanks for playing and my apologies for it not being a better waste of your time :P