Green Beret

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

RobC

Green Beret

Post by RobC » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:06 pm

I was playing with creating a new colour scheme for Green Beret last night because our eldest has suddenly become fascinated with my VIdeoNuLA boards and wanted to have a go at improving an existing game.Here's the result so far:
gb.jpg
I found a poke that let me advance through all the levels so played the game through to the end. However, apart from the knife you start with, I didn't ever manage to acquire another type of weapon. I know that on other versions you can get a flamethrower etc. but does anyone know if the Beeb version has other weapons? I've never really played the game much because I found the original colours too garish.

Thanks,

Rob

Rich Talbot-Watkins

Re: Green Beret

Post by Rich Talbot-Watkins » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:09 pm

You could change every colour in that game to black, and it'd be no less playable.

:wink:

RobC

Post by RobC » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:39 pm

Rich Talbot-Watkins wrote:You could change every colour in that game to black, and it'd be no less playable.
Yeah, it's dreadful :D

In looking for a clue about the weapons, I came across an Acorn User review that called it one of the worst games ever on the Beeb! The Micro User was far more positive :shock:

EDIT: Should have looked at the instructions on EveryGameGoing - you have to press 'SHIFT' to shoot rather than 'RETURN' which is just to stab. The flamethrower is shooting green & pink fireballs!

tricky

Post by tricky » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:08 pm

Anything that distracts you from the gameplay isn't all bad!

chinnyhill10

Post by chinnyhill10 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:03 am

tricky wrote:Anything that distracts you from the gameplay isn't all bad!
Hey, it's bad but at least it isn't the C16 version in which you run along making obscene gestures at the enemy!

tricky

Post by tricky » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:22 am

Yes,sorry, at least they made a beeb version.
Side scrollers and games with large sprites were thin on the ground.

Bohannan

Post by Bohannan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:52 pm

That seems odd. I could swear you could get different kinds of weapons, but maybe I'm remembering things incorrectly. Maybe I'm thinking of a different game. Anyway, I like you color scheme, Rob. I think it's an improvement lol.

RobC

Post by RobC » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:50 am

Bohannan wrote:That seems odd. I could swear you could get different kinds of weapons, but maybe I'm remembering things incorrectly.
You are right - I was simply pressing the wrong button :oops: You have to press SHIFT to shoot but I was only pressing the stab key...

I've discovered the flamethrower, don't know if there are any other weapons.