Looking for an Evolution type simulation

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

AndyF

Looking for an Evolution type simulation

Post by AndyF » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:43 pm

Difficult to describe, although I am 90% sure I have seen something vaguely (I say vaguely) similar in the dim/distant past for the B...

The only version I can get ahold of is the Sinclair one written by Psion and included on the "Horizons" tape. For those unfamiliar with what I'm talking about: This was the rough equivalent of the "Welcome" tape bundled in the computer poly/carton with early machines. Anyway...

This is called "Evolution" or "Foxes And Rabbits" , anyway the blurb/instructions are as follows:
evolution_1.png
Once you've got through that the 'demo' starts, I'm just attaching a combi pic of it in progress:
evolution_2.png
After this, you are then offered the chance to enter your own starting number of rabbits (between 4000 and 7000) and foxes (between 100 and 400) and the simulation starts with your entered variables.

Anyway, is there anything similar for the B that anyone can think of ? As I say I have a very vague recollection of something it may of been a magazine type-in though or a demo included with something else I cannot remember.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :D

hoglet

Re: Looking for an Evolution type simulation

Post by hoglet » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:50 pm

AndyF wrote: Anyway, is there anything similar for the B that anyone can think of ? As I say I have a very vague recollection of something it may of been a magazine type-in though or a demo included with something else I cannot remember.
I wrote something similar back in 1985 which I recently (well... 5 years ago :shock: ) resurrected:
http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... f=2&t=7034

Dave

tricky

Post by tricky » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:58 pm

I remember writing something BITD, using EVAL$, where you type in the expressions and it looped drawing y1..y3 as three colours on a graph that rescalled and restarted if the numbers went off screen. From memory it just looped entering strings until you entered an empty string, then looped over then each time, or it might have been a string per y, I can't really remember.
It was just after Gil and I tried to solve a beebug competition of finding a number with 9 digits, where the first N digits were exactly divisible by N, or something like that.

PS It wasn't as pretty as Hoglet's one :)

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:14 pm

Thanks both! :)

WA-Tor looks quite interesting just had a quick blast with it. :D

@Tricky, would still be interested to see what your program is like if its available please.

I should probably mention although the 'example' was the Sinclair one, I was not able to find any other examples on that or other platforms, although I'l admit I only quickly searched for Amstrad and C64 'examples' of it. Its likely there are (and for the B too) possibly with some vague title.

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:21 pm

There is this offering from Longmans.
Attachments
Evolution2.zip
(4.53 MiB) Downloaded 11 times
Evolution1.zip
(3.64 MiB) Downloaded 13 times
- John

Why do I keep collecting Acorn gear? I'm going to need a considerably bigger man-cave. :?

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:07 pm

flaxcottage wrote:There is this offering from Longmans.
Great. Thanks John! :) :)

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:30 am

There's also Grass Gobbler and Blind Watchman: http://mdfs.net/Apps/Automata/

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_