(OT?) What's that simple game with converging enemies?

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

BigEd

(OT?) What's that simple game with converging enemies?

Post by BigEd » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:16 am

I have a recollection of a very simple game on a PET, where there were a number of enemies (zombies, robots, whatever) which just came towards you, and you had to outmanoeuvre them. The playfield was just the screen, no scrolling, and the graphics were just characters. There might have been some static obstacles as well as the enemies. Perhaps the enemies died if they hit the obstacles.

I've a feeling this was almost a standard game perhaps in Basic and available for various machines. I'd always thought it was called Hunt the Wumpus but that's something else. It's a sort of fox and hounds idea, but realtime.

Any recollection or idea for what the game is called?

leenew

Re: (OT?) What's that simple game with converging enemies?

Post by leenew » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:40 am

There were a few versions of this.
The commercial one that I recall is called "Zombies" from Micro Power.: http://www.bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=1386
There are a couple of magazine versions that I haven't got round to uploading to bbcmicro.co.uk yet.
The most basic one that we *do* have, is this: http://www.bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=1370 which is almost not even a game!

Lee.

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:14 pm

Thanks Lee! I can't say I didn't enjoy those, just a little. (But I might not come back to them.) Certainly Zombies is very much the kind of thing - but in colour!

leenew

Post by leenew » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:39 pm

Yes! Even the non-game "Caves of Trall" does keep my attention far longer than it should :lol:

Lee.

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:44 pm

I think I got 78seconds, although it might have been only 74... it's a good demonstration really that gameplay is everything.

crj

Post by crj » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:20 am

You say real-time, so this isn't it, but robots sounds like the turn-based version. It's been available since forever as one of the games on BSD unix systems.

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:43 am

Good find - thanks! It's possible the PET game, which I only saw briefly, was turn-based.