Elite: reverse cheating

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

crj

Elite: reverse cheating

Post by crj » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:48 pm

Back in the day, commander file editors became available for Elite, and many people used them to buff their ships, give themselves absurd amounts of money, see the magical "- - - E L I T E - - -" without killing hundreds of pirates and police every evening after homework, etc.

But it was pointed out that you could also use the commander editor to reverse cheat: start with no lasers at all, no missiles, no hyperspace fuel, no cargo, no money. Your only option would be to ram pirates until you'd accumulated enough bounty for a tiny amount of cargo and fuel, then carefully trade that up into enough money for a pulse laser. Eventually, your ship would be as shiny as Commander Jameson's. (-8

Question is, though: did anybody ever actually do that? Does anybody fancy a go now?

guardian1128

Re: Elite: reverse cheating

Post by guardian1128 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:45 pm

I only have the "ssd" copy of the BBC Micro version of this, still looking for the Electron version. :oops:

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:10 pm

http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... 30#p176665
tape images here, if you want the tape & manuals without outer box , PM me an offer...
ImageImageImage

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:52 pm

If you fancy making it difficult then play Elite A. You start with a tiny ship (an Adder?) and very limited resouce / capacity. Similar concept I guess.
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Retroclinic Datacentre + HDD, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, acorn cassette, Acorn 6502 coproc
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc
BBC Master