Couple of STH Electron game issues

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

hicks

Couple of STH Electron game issues

Post by hicks » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:33 am

I was running through the STH Electron game archive to see what kind of max block sizes most UEF games used and most appeared to be under 300 bytes with the exception of Way of the Exploding Fist and Pro-Boxing.

As it happens neither of these games appear to load on my Electron via wav. The first block loads, followed by the loader block, then exits with "Bad Program" for exploding fist. Pro-boxing loads the first block "Pro-Boxing 0500" but never moves beyond that.

Is there an issue with the UEF? Or a problem with the uef2wave.py based conversion, perhaps causing some copy protection to kick in?

Anyone managed to load either of these?

8bitkick

Re: Couple of STH Electron game issues

Post by 8bitkick » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:55 pm

hicks wrote:I was running through the STH Electron game archive to see what kind of max block sizes most UEF games used and most appeared to be under 300 bytes with the exception of Way of the Exploding Fist and Pro-Boxing.

As it happens neither of these games appear to load on my Electron via wav. The first block loads, followed by the loader block, then exits with "Bad Program" for exploding fist. Pro-boxing loads the first block "Pro-Boxing 0500" but never moves beyond that.

Is there an issue with the UEF? Or a problem with the uef2wave.py based conversion, perhaps causing some copy protection to kick in?

Anyone managed to load either of these?
The UEF has HQ in the title which suggests UEF chunk types which uef2wave.py doesn't handle.

I am not with my Elk so can't check but did you try (you can use web player or click the tape to download the WAV if you prefer):

http://playuef.8bitkick.cc/?FILE=https% ... r_E.hq.zip

hicks

Post by hicks » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:11 am

I've not tried that no, I'll give it a go later today and see if it helps.

8bitkick

Post by 8bitkick » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:15 pm

hicks wrote:I've not tried that no, I'll give it a go later today and see if it helps.
It’s been tested against a load of HQ UEF titles for BBC and normal UEF for Electron so should (fingers crossed) work for these titles

You can download source and use offline if you wanted to modify to do a batch run

https://github.com/8bitkick/PlayUEF

hicks

Post by hicks » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:38 pm

8bitkick wrote: It’s been tested against a load of HQ UEF titles for BBC and normal UEF for Electron so should (fingers crossed) work for these titles

You can download source and use offline if you wanted to modify to do a batch run

Tried ProBoxing and it loads fine via PlayUEF :)

8bitkick

Post by 8bitkick » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:06 am

hicks wrote:
8bitkick wrote: It’s been tested against a load of HQ UEF titles for BBC and normal UEF for Electron so should (fingers crossed) work for these titles

Tried ProBoxing and it loads fine via PlayUEF :)
Great!

ThomasHarte

Post by ThomasHarte » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:32 pm

The Stairway to Hell Way of the Exploding Fist also loads correctly in Clock Signal, my semi-recent Electron emulator. Only at regular speed though, so stick with it. But that makes it likely that the UEF is properly formed, though I've not inspected it specifically.

I haven't tried ProBoxing.

hicks

Post by hicks » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:07 am

With ProBoxing and Way of the Exploding Fist, the issue was uef2wav missing support for the high tone with dummy byte block type.

Quick fix if anyone else is still using it, add into ReadTapeBlock

Code: Select all

elif id == self.highToneDummyID:
			ms  = self.WordAt(self.buffer,self.pos)
			pre_carrier = int(ms * (BAUD/1000.0)) * "1"

ms  = self.WordAt(self.buffer,self.pos+2)
			post_carrier = int(ms * (BAUD/1000.0)) * "1"

ret = pre_carrier + self.ToBitString("AA") + post_carrier
and add a new entry to the tapeIDList at the top for highToneDummyID.

ProBoxing does also have additional blocks, x0116 floating point gap, x0113 baud rate change and x0114 security block, although appears to load without these implemented.