Q: BBC B titles that support Acorn Speech?

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

KAF2000

Q: BBC B titles that support Acorn Speech?

Post by KAF2000 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:40 pm

Is there a list anywhere of BBC B games that support Acorn Speech? So far, I have only found a couple of educational titles and the Peter Johnson game Deathstar/Sinistar. Did any other Peter Johnson games support speech? I am aware of the recent version of Astro Blaster too, but as far as I can tell, I would also need sideways ram (which I do not have in my BBC B computer) for this to work? Thanks.

tricky

Re: Q: BBC B titles that support Acorn Speech?

Post by tricky » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:13 pm

Sorry, yes AstroBlaster needs SWRam, but here is a program that I wrote to test the speech, just press different keys.
Attachments
speech-test.zip
(9.85 KiB) Downloaded 54 times

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:13 pm

Which educational titles did you find that use speech? Apart from Deathstar I'm not aware of any other games that support it.

There are a couple of games that don't work with speech installed. These are:
- Space Fighter (Superior), no aliens to shoot at
- Hyper Sports (Imagine), locks up on skeet shooting stage
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

KAF2000

Post by KAF2000 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:42 pm

One to Nine and Hooked on Numbers - both by Acornsoft. I have tried them both and they worked, although the speech was not very impressive - I was expecting much more! It states that they support Acorn Speech on the boxes.

Thanks for the info about games that will no longer work - pity about Imagine Hypersports.

There was an article on the internet about Peter Johnson supporting speech - so was that just on Sinistar then?

Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:07 pm

IIRC Wizzy's Mansion (Audiogenic) says 'Press Return To Start' if you have Acorn Speech chips fitted.
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

ABug SOUTH (Hampshire) (1-3 June 2018)

KAF2000

Post by KAF2000 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:36 pm

Thanks, I will check that out. Also I will flick through any other games by Peter Johnson to see whether any speech has been sneaked in. I am surprised that more games didn't support Acorn speech, is it surely wouldn't have been difficult, and if you don't have it, it doesn't cause any sort of problem.

I am away from home at the moment, but I will also check Hypersports when I get back to see if it clashes with Sprow's version of Acorn speech.

I have to say that Superior Speech! completely blew the Acorn and Cheetah speech systems out of the water. Must surely have been one of Superior Software's best selling titles? I remember that you could load the image into sideways ram on the Master 128, but can this image also be burned to an eprom and plugged permanently into a BBC B?

paulv

Post by paulv » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:35 pm

I know Brian Jacks Superstar Challenge supports the speech upgrade. Unfortunately it's a keyboard/joystick killer so I don't ever play it...

Paul

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:23 pm

KAF2000 wrote:can this image also be burned to an eprom and plugged permanently into a BBC B?
yes, but again gives bugs to other roms /games etc.

so can just *load it if you have a 16k swram bank spare , when you need to use it 8)
ImageImageImage

Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:37 am

KAF2000 wrote:Thanks, I will check that out. Also I will flick through any other games by Peter Johnson to see whether any speech has been sneaked in.

I vaguely recall Overdrive 'speaking' the level number (e.g. "ONE") at the beginning of each track... though I'm not 100%.
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

ABug SOUTH (Hampshire) (1-3 June 2018)

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:50 pm

Just noticed when trying Tennis - Bug Byte 1986
it asks if acorn speech present Y/N
don't know what it does as don't have the 2x chips

The music is better than the game! no music on elk :(
ImageImageImage

davidb

Post by davidb » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:33 pm

KAF2000 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:40 pm
Is there a list anywhere of BBC B games that support Acorn Speech? So far, I have only found a couple of educational titles and the Peter Johnson game Deathstar/Sinistar.
I don't know if this has been mentioned before but the Electron version of Deathstar also contains the same speech code. So, if anyone had made an Acorn-compatible speech upgrade for the Electron then the game would have had speech. As it is, you can play it on the BBC and hear it speak! :D