A XOR Project

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

streaks

A XOR Project

Post by streaks » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:29 am

Ello. Sometimes I feel like remaking beeb games for my own amusement, as I keep going on about. This time XOR.

I'm writing a list of game rules.
  • Chickens move before fish if you just moved vertically. Fish move before chickens if you moved horizontally
    Fish and bombs fall downward
    Chickens and jars fall leftward
    Dolls carry on in any direction pushed but do not kill a shield when they hit one
    Jars destroy the blocks above and below them
    Bombs destroy the blocks left and right of them
    You get 2000 moves per map - per shield I think
    You can't move until everything has settled
    Fish and chickens eat through forcefields. Dolls do not
    Blowing a sad mask up toggles the lights
    Jar hitting jar causes explosion
    Teleporters try to put you right of the destination. Failing that, above, left, and down
I'll probably need to hassle this forum for the finer points at some point. Anyways, here are the graphics I've remade:

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by streaks on Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:56 am, edited 9 times in total.
streaksy (at) gmail (dot) com

streaks

Re: A XOR Project

Post by streaks » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:33 am

And for the hell of it, here is the monster for my old HD Repton remake that I couldn't be bothered to develop. Image

joachim

Post by joachim » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:38 am

Do you know about the XOR Resource Pages? http://www.danceswithferrets.org/xor/

In particular commentary on details of the rules (sounds like you've got them right though): http://www.danceswithferrets.org/xor/ve ... ne_xor.txt

streaks

Post by streaks » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:43 am

Nice one, thanks. Hm seems mainly concerned with the fish/chicken order. I need to know other stuff, like whether bomb>bomb collision causes the explosion.... if a bomb explodes another bomb, is there a chain-reaction or is the second one just destroyed? Do dolls explode bombs? What a weird and difficult game...

joachim

Post by joachim » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:22 am

You probably shouldn't take my word for it, but I believe the answers are yes, no, no. In other words, a bomb behaves exactly like a fish/chicken except when a fish/chicken/bomb lands on it. It doesn't explode in response to landing on a bomb or being exploded by an adjacent bomb or being hit by a doll.

Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:36 am

There's a complete disassembly of XOR available on-line somewhere - if you can't find it I have it and can send it to you.

streaks

Post by streaks » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:31 pm

Kecske Bak wrote:There's a complete disassembly of XOR available on-line somewhere - if you can't find it I have it and can send it to you.
Thanks but I don't really get assembly... The notation might have some useful points though.

I wonder if I should just play with XOR designer to test out anything I have doubts about. I have lists of moves needed to win each map so I'll know when it's right at least.

davidb

Post by davidb » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:59 pm

I played through the levels on the Electron. I believe you're already aware that SentinelProxima played through the BBC Micro version.

Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:22 pm

streaks wrote:
Kecske Bak wrote:Thanks but I don't really get assembly... .
I should have added, the assembly is commented so thoroughly you can get the logic of the game (map scanning direction, order things move etc.) just by reading the comments.

streaks

Post by streaks » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:55 pm

Did some work on it today. It all seems to behave just like the beeb. The only things I haven't coded yet are the BMUS, exit door, sad mask/switch, and menu system and decorative border. I want to add a subtle, dark background aswell with shadows from the objects. The moving parts are working fine. It's been such a straight-forward project since I haven't piled-on frills like interpolated icon movements.

The XOR resource page has a list of moves to win each level so that will be the final test. I'll just make it follow the list of commands automatically to see if each map gets completed.

There are three scrolling modes. One is classic XOR, one is centered, and one is like XOR but you see two spaces ahead instead of one, which is my favourite. I'm going to make it like Repton Overture in that you'll be able to rewind time to take the cruel edge off. Plus quicksave and quickload. There's no point to a remake if it doesn't offer anything new, and HD graphics aren't enough at this stage. If anyone's interested in the finished thing just let me know.

Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:17 pm

I can't wait to have a play with this if it becomes available. I love your graphical style and it's a crying shame we'll never get to see a version of Repton using it.

While you're still working, could you possibly add an option to define your own keys? Firstly this would be good for people used to the ZX Spectrum version which used different keys and secondly it would help people like me with a European keyboard.

My biggest problem with Repton Overture is that I cannot use ZX *? as I have a Hungarian keyboard which means I don't spend as much time with it as the game really deserved.

streaks

Post by streaks » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:53 pm

Yeh sure. Meantime, what keys would you set them as? I could give u a Repton Overture exe with your key layout...

streaks

Post by streaks » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:05 am

Here is a simple program I made to get the keyboard scan codes. Run it, press the keys for UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT and make a note of the scan codes for me. I'll do a RO build that uses them :D

streaks

Post by streaks » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:24 am

Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:20 am

Very kind of you to go to so much trouble for me. On a Hungarian keyboard Y and Z are swapped, and there are different keys where * and ? would be on a BBC Micro.

Y (BBC Micro Z)
Scan code 89
ASCII code 121

X (BBC Micro X)
Scan code 88
ASCII code 120

Á (BBC Micro *)
Scan code 222
ASCII code 225

_ (BBC Micro ?)
Scan code 191
ASCII code 45

On a ZX Spectrum, XOR was controlled using Z X P L.

Many thanks, Dave

streaks

Post by streaks » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:53 pm

See if this works:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/455 ... arian1.rar

It's no problem. If the few people in the target audience can't play it, then why did I make it all? :D Hope I understood your layout codes. If not, just tell me what needs swapping. It's an easy fix.

Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:20 pm

This is still the old version sadly. The executable, README and stuff.png is still Jan 29 2016, although most of the other files have been updated.

Sorry to be such a pain.

streaks

Post by streaks » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:43 pm

Try the link again. There was 5 minutes when I posted the wrong link to the old rar. There should just be one file in it, a new exe.

acorn

Post by acorn » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:33 am

Hi,

Being among the few people in the target audience, I am also on a Hungarian keyboard. Thanks for all your efforts!

I am aware of the introduce-yourself threads, but anyway: I never owned an Acorn but have seen one in school in the mid 80’s. Appearing more gifted than the average (not really my merit: Hungarian schools were far stronger than English back then), the Headmaster saw how bored I was and he kindly spent some time with me playing chess, gave me free range to the school library and showed off the computers available: the flagship, an original XT with 2 floppies, a 380Z gathering dust on the top of a cupboard and a few beebs is all I can remember. His favourite was Philosophers Quest, which was a bit too challenging for my age. Oh, and there was an Acorn poster in the staircase. An older friend saved up for an xmas Currys Spectrum +2, chiefly for running Elite, which I didn’t quite get (why would one go shopping before flying?). He soon switched to a PC with FS, with the first mouse I ever saw. At home we had a Nimbus (186) from work, far outspeccing all the speccys out there. Then a discounted original, but motley IBM PC with a Proprinter (XT label but 286 mobo, original EGA card with 64 kB running only CGA games, ST-225 HDD etc.) bought on sale, but still quite pricey. It was literally a tower of boxes higher than me when it was shipped to our doorstep. Compared to it, my schoolmates’ ZX literally looked like toys (probably because they were). Accordingly, I never had one, but by now I wouldn’t mind spending time with one, just to see it for real in close. Excluded from the computer gaming scene (whatever it was), I spent most of my time on a PC in logo, basic, donkey kong, having sometimes a go on MS Flight Simulator, just about being able to take off.

Acorn machines can be quite scarce outside the UK (no, I don’t live in NL either), so I am unlikely to have one: I learn about things running emulators and educating myself reading *.

Cheers!

streaks

Post by streaks » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:33 am

Hi acorn. I didn't know Hungary had beebs. I thought it was just this stupid country. :P

tricky

Post by tricky » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:03 am

Unofficial welcome :lol: