Best sound in Beeb games

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

Lardo Boffin

Best sound in Beeb games

Post by Lardo Boffin » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:43 am

I recently asked the question about people's favourite underrated games (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12046) with mine being Ghouls. Looking at why I liked this game so much I think it was largely due to the sound in the game: -

Tape loading music. Very cool tune and the first one I had heard. It helped build a sense of anticipation as it loaded, especially as it got louder as it went on.

The general sound effects are quite spooky and effective.

The success music when you complete a level makes it feel worth the effort. It very quickly turns from happy tune to spooky music signalling the arrival of another level (which will almost certainly kill you).

The failure music when you loose a life makes you want to punch the screen. No one likes being laughed at!

There are a few little nice touches such as the noise made when you collect stray edibles - the more you get in one go the better the effect. I also quite like the noise the springs make as you use them.

So this made me wonder - which games on the Beeb make the best use of music / sound effects?

Lardo
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Retroclinic Datacentre + HDD, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, acorn cassette, Acorn 6502 coproc
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc
BBC Master

Andrew_Waite

Re: Best sound in Beeb games

Post by Andrew_Waite » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:45 am

The sound effects in Ghouls are excellent, I found this gem in Lardo's BASIC listing:-

10 ENVELOPE2,2,1,-1,1,2,4,2,1,0,0,-1,100,0
20 SOUND 1,2,100,50

Spooky!

I liked the sound effects in Killer Gorilla, the whole desk would reverberate up and down when you 'Hit <SPACE> to start'.

Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:14 am

I always see "best music" and "best sound" as two different things. As far as best music is concerned there are loads of examples, with Orlando M. Pilchard and Martin Galway being responsible for many of them.

However, as far as best sound is concerned I like games where the sound is actually necessary to help you play the game. That can be anything from "Aviator" with the sound letting you know there's something wrong with the engine, "Sentinel" letting you know you're being watched and drained of energy, "Deathstar" with the sound telling you how the Deathstar construction is progressing off screen, or "Repton 2" where the sound lets you know spirits have caged or monsters have hatched off screen. The ultimate example of this would have to be Exile which even has speech.

As far as games using sound just to create an arcade atmosphere I think "Bumble Bee" and "Attack On Alpha Centuri" use sound really well. They are loud and really use the BBC's sound facilities well.

Rich Talbot-Watkins

Post by Rich Talbot-Watkins » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:58 am

Yes, I know it always gets my nomination for everything, but Exile made excellent use of sound, even the standard version without the samples. It just feels kind of... 'organic' and natural. Everything has its own sounds - the monkeys, the mushrooms, birds, different types of weapons - and they are even correctly attenuated with distance. Going into a busy area, you really feel a contrast in the soundscape, which is almost continuous, compared to a quiet part of the world. Exile exploited this to the hilt to create a sense of foreboding and spookiness.

David B has been posting videos of Electron Exile on his YouTube channel recently, and I was astonished to discover that even this version manages to include some pretty atmospheric sound, despite the limitations!

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:00 am

Kecske Bak wrote:I always see "best music" and "best sound" as two different things. As far as best music is concerned there are loads of examples, with Orlando M. Pilchard and Martin Galway being responsible for many of them.
Good point and as this is not a talent show with lots of rules (or any for that matter) feel free to split them up!

Truth is I was mainly interested in what people thought were the best so that I could make sure I play them. There are so many Beeb games that it would be easy to miss something good because I have never heard of it.
Kecske Bak wrote:However, as far as best sound is concerned I like games where the sound is actually necessary to help you play the game.
True - Populous (in later years) told you that you were in trouble when the gong sounded as the computer now had a Knight.

Which games are Mr Pilchard and Galway responsible for?
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Retroclinic Datacentre + HDD, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, acorn cassette, Acorn 6502 coproc
BBC Master

davidb

Post by davidb » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:24 am

Rich Talbot-Watkins wrote:David B has been posting videos of Electron Exile on his YouTube channel recently, and I was astonished to discover that even this version manages to include some pretty atmospheric sound, despite the limitations!
The explosions are particularly good considering the limitations of the sound system. There's also something of an attenuation effect when you move away from noisy areas. I also prefer the teleportation effect on the Electron. :)

Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:56 pm

Lardo Boffin wrote: Which games are Mr Pilchard and Galway responsible for?
Orlando wrote Arcadians, Frak!, Zalaga, Firetrack etc. Martin Galway did music for Master 128 Stryker's Run, Galaforce 1 & 2, Cookie, Sabre Wulf etc.

Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:05 pm

Kecske Bak wrote:Martin Galway did music for Master 128 Stryker's Run, Galaforce 1 & 2, Cookie, Sabre Wulf etc.
And the wonderful Crazee Rider theme, from the Master 128 version.
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

ABug SOUTH (Hampshire) (1-3 June 2018)

Commie_User

Post by Commie_User » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:06 pm

FIRETRACK!!!!!!

I'll have to have another play on the games, as I know there are plenty more.

Commie_User

Post by Commie_User » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:21 pm

Andrew_Waite wrote:The sound effects in Ghouls are excellent, I found this gem in Lardo's BASIC listing:-

10 ENVELOPE2,2,1,-1,1,2,4,2,1,0,0,-1,100,0
20 SOUND 1,2,100,50

Spooky!

I liked the sound effects in Killer Gorilla, the whole desk would reverberate up and down when you 'Hit <SPACE> to start'.

Aaah, what you want are the sound effects from ELITE, in a handy BBC BASIC player: http://www.remix64.com/board/viewtopic. ... 465#p93549

Also, get that line out mod, for the HOUSE to reverberate!

Commie_User

Post by Commie_User » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:50 pm

SPECTAPEDE sounds quite nice.

OK, anyway.

Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:04 pm

Arcadian wrote:And the wonderful Crazee Rider theme, from the Master 128 version.
Hi Dave - you posting reminds me that if I had been thinking straight, I would have directed the OP here, which answers this question pretty comprehensively:
https://www.stairwaytohell.com/music/in ... e=homepage

Oh, and Rich T-W posting reminds me that this tune sounds just as good on a BBC Micro:
https://youtu.be/0VE9_wW98yg?t=48s

vanpeebles

Post by vanpeebles » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:16 pm

I don't think any sound has made me jump higher than the whistle one on Jack Charltons football :lol:

ghosty

Post by ghosty » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:45 pm

I seem to remember Orando's rendition of the Captain Pugwash theme hidden away on Zalaga being particularly nice (Might just be rose tinted sunglasses though, need to call that procedure again after all these years..:))

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:59 pm

ghosty wrote:I seem to remember Orando's rendition of the Captain Pugwash theme hidden away on Zalaga being particularly nice (Might just be rose tinted sunglasses though, need to call that procedure again after all these years..:))
BITD I had a disc of ahem 'back up copies' of games lent to me and it had a menu system which played Pugwash. It was very impressive.
BBC Master

RobC

Post by RobC » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:37 pm

Kecske Bak wrote:Martin Galway did music for Master 128 Stryker's Run, Galaforce 1 & 2, Cookie, Sabre Wulf etc.
I've always thought that Galaforce 2 had the best music of any Beeb game. I used to plug the speaker output of my M128 into my amp and listen to it rather than playing the game.